don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Just caught this on Era also. Thanks for the heads up on here. Here's the new secondary/alternate poster Casshern linked:

[​IMG]

San Francisco echoing Sonic Adventure 2? Genuinely awesome. Sonic looking even more scary and horrific however? Why God why. This is somehow even worse.

Its also got a bit of Spiderman inspiration which is probably a remnant from when this was with Sony.

2. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Fans hate it, Yasuhara and Oshima retweet posts mocking/criticizing it, Sega supposedly doesn't like it, and even the people working on the movie don't sound all that confident with it.

Like, what's the point of defending this from the backlash besides pure contrarianism?

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    On that note, we have more responses from Oshima and Yuji Naka amongst other ex-Sonic Team members here. And yeah they all hate it. Apart from Shun Nakamura who was reportedly "speechless". Though not in a good way. Meanwhile Patrick Casey, one of the screenwriters responded with this. Allaying the fears of pretty much no-one.

4. Retroman

Retroman

This looks bad.
    Like Ken Penders bad.

It can even be so bad, it'll make Ken Penders look like Leonardo Da Vinci-bad.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    THIS!!!! It needs to stop!

This is the first time they totally messed up the ring sound. Of all things, how DARE them.

Maybe the goal is that this movie will be so bad, what ever game that follows will be seen as absolute gold by comparison?

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    It's the "so bad it's good/funny" mentality. A lot of people are expecting this to suck but will still go see it anyway to just laugh at how bad it is.

The only downside is that giving this movie money = studio thinks we want more. A double-edged sword indeed...

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

that's why you buy a blu-ray second hand rather than go out to the theater, because this probably is not going to be worth the ticket and sitting in a crowd for

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
  9. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Or maybe it's the "I hate my dad" mentality. You just don't have what it takes 2019, no matter what. I see it everywhere. CIRCLE OF LIFE.

10. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Only reason I'd want to see this in a theater would be to mock it MST3K-style. Assuming I'm in a crowd that would be willing to go along with it, that is. :v:

...maybe my idea to see this piss-drunk on opening night isn't a good idea after all. >.>

11. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    no, you don't buy it second hand. You barrow it from the local Library for free, unless you return it late.

12. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I know this is kind of over the top but it really does make me want to shoot myself in the fucking face

It's so goddamned heartbreaking to go from non-Sonic fans being onboard due to Mania all the way back to "LOL SONIC SUCKS" solely because of these terrible, terrible fucking movie designs

13. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    I don't know if this would make it better or worse... but maybe the story's going in some crazy The Fly direction where some dude gets mixed up with animal DNA, he's slowly transforming into his final Sonic form, and some dingdong marketing guy thought the freaky midpoint of his transformation would be the best thing to show on the posters?

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
  15. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Well, Penders was hating on the movie when it was announced. More jealousy than any type of sincere love of Sonic's design (which he himself is set to bastardize when he introduces Cinos to the not Knuckles daughter chronicles).

16. Creature SH

Creature SH

Yeah, Pender's opinion is one we can always and forever disregard, no matter which way his pendulum swings.

17. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    San Francisco seems like the perfect place for the "artistic visionary" who came up with his design. The people of California are everything that is wrong with the US.

18. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    My body is ready

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Or maybe it's because one of the locations of a Sonic game was basically San Francisco?

And right, California is everything that's wrong with the US. Not pretty much anything else.

EDIT: I'm kind of amazed how much this movie is making some people question whether or not they like Sonic anymore. Like yes this is awful but it's so drastically different and far removed from the actual franchise that this isn't even on my radar. It's not a game it's just another example of Hollywood fucking up video game movies.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Let's not do that.

Let's go back to laughing about how little control Sega has over their most recognizeable mascot, and the complete lack of vision they have for said character.