don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Being in this fanbase has made me come to dislike the whole "wait to see more" argument to avoid sharing criticism. Paramount put out this teaser to MAKE PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THE FILM. If the studio thinks that this teaser was enough for people to develop a positive opinion and hype, then it would be hypocritical to say its not enough to develop a negative opinion and disgust. And if they weren't prepared for that, then their marketing department made a mistake.

Also, how many times do initial reactions have to be proven accurate before we stop pretending this series doesn't tip its hand about the quality of its products within the first few glances. Lets not kid ourselves. What you see is generally what you get. Last time that wasn't the case was probably back with the initial teaser of '06.

This looks awful and when we see a non-silhouetted version its probably going to be even worse.

2. RDNexus

RDNexus

And people are talking...A LOT. I'm just saying that it didn't affect me much because I'd rather see Sonic in full and a trailer. This teaser did little to cater my curiosity.
    I'm giving more time of my free time following the comments here than thinking about the teaser itself...

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think it's funny everyone's rushing to "fix" the design and en-mass are doing a better job.

The best design hands down is the one Oshima retweeted. Everyone would have been more than happy with that depiction of Sonic. Pixar-like, faithful to the original and true to form. Hell, even the one I linked above is an improvement - but ultimately the reason why everyone is reacting the way they are (and it's not an over reaction IMO - we're justified) is because Paramount's design literally is a terrifying abomination that in no universe should have ever been approved and a design that is now doing damage to Sonic. I'll wait for the trailer and I'm still curious about how much Carrey will be involved - but yeah this went from "see in the cinema" to "reluctantly watch when it hits VOD". Honestly sometimes it feels like as Sonic fans we have to endure so much shit like this.

Sometimes something amazing like Mania comes along and other times it's this shit which seems to be the default.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I don't even know what to say about this in terms of how it looks.

From a more boring point of view, why did they even make it CGI at this point, it could just be a guy in a suit. Though he could be a small little runt for all I know.

5. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I've never been a fan of silhouette teasing. It gets people talking, but it proportionately gets people's imaginations overwrought with worst case scenarios. Boom's teaser image had a similar reaction, but obviously not to this degree.
    I guess if the metric is simply eyeballs and word of mouth than it's a success, but I'm not sure Sonic's in a place where "There's no such thing as bad press" applies.

6. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gzyX0WnYYY

I wonder if the plot of this is some origin story of sorts that revolves around Sonic being some rabid animal with supernatural speed.

He meets Tails during some one-off encounter while their forest is getting destroyed by Eggman who is simultaneously capturing defenseless animals to create badniks for his world domination.

So they team up, Sonic gets noticed by the general (human) public as the only hope in defeating Eggman with his speed but needs to freshen up his rough exterior to be seen as a hero.

So he then gets some shoes, maybe some gloves later on in the movie to cover his nightmarish man-hands anddddd... I don't know. Just speculating typical Hollywood 'storytelling' I guess.

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I understand the shock. I don't understand the outrage.

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    If people are "outraged" by recent news, it's because nobody expected Sonic's movie design to be THIS disgusting. It's that simple.
    I'm mean you're just playing with words at this point.

9. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Despite what some idiots would have you believe: Rage is GOOD.

You don't get mad about things you don't give a shit about. Someone without any emotional investment will always see such emotions as "stupid" or "unnecessary". We're all mad because we care about Sonic. We care that it's yet again becoming even more of a joke.

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Nail on head right here. It's doing damage to Sonic as I noted in my earlier post - and this is god-awful timing coming off the goodwill and franchise-restoring effect of Sonic Mania/Adventures and Plus. Forces wasn't that great but no-one cared because we also got the best Sonic game since the Genesis days around the same time. This is a huge thing - Sonic getting the Hollywood treatment - and so far at least they couldn't have fucked it up even more. People are outraged because they have an emotional attachment to this - whether it was garnered in childhood or otherwise - and they don't want to see things they care about tarnished so extremely out of negligence, want of money and ill-conceived disregard for something that clearly they (Paramount) have no clue about nor the regard for Sonic that the fans hold.

That's the best way I can convey or explain it. Paramount are detached idiots that don't give a fuck - where as we and the rest of the Sonic fanbase - do.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    My bad, let me find something else to play with in order to communicate with people on a text-based message board.

How? How are those nerve endings not thoroughly numbed beyond repair by this point? I can't grasp people caring that a brand is treated as a joke. If they keep making quality products, they can be seen as a joke by however many nobodies. Sonic Mania alone wasn't, and could never be, a magic do-over card that would instantly erase all of the built-up negative perception surrounding the franchise. There's too goddamn much of it, in far too many nooks and crannies. The franchise, on the whole, would still largely be seen as a joke, even without this film.

Mania was, however, a good step for Taxman and co. as creators. I really doubt a shitty Sonic movie with a terrible design is going to give Iizuka second thoughts about greenlighting Taxman's team on Mania 2 or Sonic 5 or whatever. I really doubt a shitty Sonic movie with a terrible design is going to make the "Sonic was never good!" meme get any more into vogue than it already is.

What the hell are people afraid is going to happen? The big bad mean journalists are going to aim low and make a disparaging comment about the fandom? Again? The humanity!

Like, I'm not saying people shouldn't be talking about it, I don't want to feel like I'm trying to rain on everyone's parade of making fun of it. It's just dumbfounded me over the past couple days how much time and attention people are showering it with (look at me here now doing the same thing :v:/> ). It's just.....another gross thing put out under this brand (and another gross thing put out by Hollywood); the closet it deserves to be exiled to already very populous.

12. Prototype

Prototype

Ever since it was announced, I was resigned to the fact that this movie would be utter garbage. I think everyone here knew that. I do think, however, that there wouldn't be nearly as much vitriol towards it had we not gotten Mania. Mania was a quality product and got fans excited again. If we were following on from the string of failures prior to Mania, I expect the reaction would be "oh, yet another shitty Sonic product".

I find myself not giving too much of a shit though. I mean, it's entertaining in a trainwreck way, but I can't find any motivation to be mad at it.

13. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Your nerves aren't numb. Try stabbing yourself in the leg with a knife if you really think your nerves aren't working.

And for someone who claims to not care about the movie, you wasted plenty of time and text on it. Me, I'm honest. I'm mad that the Sonic movie is looking to be hot trash and am expressing that sincere emotion. Simple as that.

14. I just think it's brilliant to be honest. Like it looks so stupid it's actually genius.

I lost my emotional attachment to Sonic a long time ago so I can see the funny side. If you let this stuff get to you at this point it's like keeping on going back to a bad lover who treats you like shit. At some point you just gotta walk away.

It's so much easier and fun to be a Sonic fan when you don't really care about the recent mis-steps/disasters. My love for Sonic is firmly rooted in the original trilogy, and as the years pass I'm more than happy for it to stay there.

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Speaking of teasers (namely, "silhouette teasers"):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's fucking done to death by this point. Stop with this shit already.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  16. Linkabel

Linkabel

Seem theaters are getting promo materials.

https://twitter.com/ThatCubeGamer/status/1072667153797648384?s=19

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I shouldn't try to make analogies, I guess.

The point is that the franchise has done too much stupid shit for more stupid shit to stimulate an impassioned response from me anymore. I don't understand how anyone, who isn't at least new to this ride, isn't in a similar boat. That's what I've wasted (far too much) time and text on in this thread. It's tangentially related to the film, so I understand the irony (and poked fun at it in the post you replied to), but only tangentially, meaning it's largely off topic, so I guess I'll stop fishing for some justification for all of this corporate-brand-rooted Stockholm Syndrome.

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

Putting the rest of the design problems aside, pretty much everything that doesn't have "Sonic" in the full shot is going to look like a nudist, fuzzy midget with that musculature. Good lord.

19. Gotta love the Ken Penders Sonic legs

20. Ughhhh..... I just recently caught wind of this. I was too busy living under a rock and watching the new Godzilla trailer multiple times...... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

I am surprised that Sega of America is okay with this, I am wondering how Sega of Japan and SonicTeam feel about this. I had wished they did a CGI film, which I thought they bought a studio in doing the ghost short film for Sonic Unleashed. So the only true Sonic movie right now at least will be the OVA.