don't click here

Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I would actually vote against this - there was that time when that Sonic 1 prototype hoax was going around, and people were directly contacting Yuji Naka about it. It was uncomfortable reading.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I suspect that showing the game at retro expos before releasing the ROMs may have been part of the deal with whoever sent the board to Shoutime, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of seeing it emulated in the (not so far?) future. + - Unless we're in another Marble Man situation.  

In any case, the ROMs have already been dumped as somebody pointed out before, so it's very unlikely that they'll get lost now. Not from bit-rot, anyway.

3. Here's a great big bump:

This game is actually quite a lot of fun! It's very different because you're not trying to match colors, rather you're attempting to make lines that connect to the sides or form some kind of loop. Still trying to work out combos, and as you can see, I start to get the hang of it a little bit more by the end. MAJOR thanks to GerbilSoft for compiling the version of MAME that supports this thing. Cheers bro!

4. About time we got some clean footage of it. Just from looking at the playthrough, the way to get combos look a bit confusing and tricky.

5. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    I cannot wait to get my hands on those ROMs and disassemble the code...

6. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
  7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    This is way juicier than a proper Sonic the Fighters debug, holy shit :thumbsup:

EDIT1: HOLY. MOTHERFUCKING. SHIT. 8B. EIGHT MOTHERFUCKING BEE.

8. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF WHAAAT.

I swear if this is a bamboozle...

9. gold lightning

gold lightning

It's as real as can be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOvvCVcCvmw

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It definitely stands out among the other songs, which I feel are incredibly forgetful. Either something is up, or they knew 8B was a winner that they had to use -somewhere-.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

Wow. Definitely unexpected. I absolutely love that stuff like this is still being discovered.

Thanks for the video for easy listening.

12. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Well, if Mania 2 does happen, maybe this game will the the act one boss of Chemical Plant.

13. Sable

Sable

Those sprites remind me of these unused ones from CD:

[​IMG]

14. Yuzu

Yuzu

Wow.

This was really unexpected. As said, glad to see discoveries like this still made today.

15. Ha nice find!

The rest of the music really sounds like it was made by the Chaotix composer

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    :v: Mods feel free to trash this post because I am garbage.

17. Just in case you were wondering, the Special Stage music is in the game, it starts up at level 40. Dunno what's past that since 46 is currently my max. Kinda hard to make out, but here's where some footage of it playing.

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    That's really interesting -- considering how the instruments sound identical to the S3 track (save for the DAC, anyway) it's quite likely that the pool of music Iizuka mentioned in the Sonic Jam strategy guide was already in SMPS format, ready to be thrown in the game. This was not obvious to me until now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    As a technical sidenote: Sonic 3 uses the SMPS Z80 sound driver. SegaSonic Bros, which runs on System C2, can't use SMPS Z80 because there is no Z80 on System C2.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. This actually looks fun! Even better is that the music is a blast too!