don't click here

SRB2Kart Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Roller, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)

I know Iceman's been handling posting here in the General Projects thread, but I couldn't not make this topic while the iron's hot. Enjoy!

It's out. Find it here!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    This looks very impressive. So much so I hope Sega doesn't reverse course by cease-and-desisting for potentially competing with TSR.

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Wow, I'm super impressed. That looks like a lot of effort went into that project.

Has Sega ever sent a cease-and-desist for a Sonic fangame, mod, or hack?

4. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Sonic Retro Remix (if I recall correctly) was a pretty big one that got C&D'd.

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I got one on Sonic Classic. But I think it was just because of the name, and not the actual content. It was hosted on megaupload at the time.

EDIT: Forgot to say -- I cannot fucking wait to play this when I get home. Are AI players enabled?

6. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Not for the first release, but we're aware it's hotly desired and we've got lots of spare coding aptitude now the game's out!

Speaking of which, the link to the release thread on the SRB2 Message Board is available in the first post. I'd link the download directly, but hotlinking is forbidden...

7. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I've been playing this for a while, and it's pretty awesome. I've been itching for some racing games after listening to some Top Gear music and this mod scratches that itch. The controls are pretty nice (I use an XBox 360 Controller, though you may want to switch a couple of buttons around like I did). I usually main Tails since I prefer characters with great handling, and he definitely has it especially when drifting. I guess my only "major" nitpicks is that the knockback can get a bit crazy if you're hit by someone going very fast (and vice versa) and some courses have some weird respawn areas. Also, who the hell thought Kodachrome Void Zone was a good idea? Shame on you. Shame~

Other than that map, and some of the Hell Races, good chunk of the maps are pretty good and have good music to go along with them. I do like the uniqueness of certain items like how bananas will slow you down over time while dragging them so you can't hold onto them for too long, and I do like how you can outrun the Blue Shell-like bomb if you're skilled/fast enough. Servers are usually stable long as there's no one with insanely high ping, and I like how you can add custom tracks and racers to your own servers. I'm kind of mixed on the battling, but it does play well for the most part.

I definitely recommend trying this out.

8. This looks awesome!! Totally missed this one, gonna check it out with a few friends tonight, cheers!

9. TehRealSalt

TehRealSalt

SRB2Kart
    Version 1.0.2 has been released, featuring lots of quality of life improvements across the board. Full changelog on the release thread.

10. JamesRock7

JamesRock7

Pending Member
    Chile
    It looks totally awesome! I'm going to try it and then leave my impressions. See you later

11. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Version 1.0.3 is out, and it adds literally the only thing I wanted other than AI opponents: The ability to use custom characters in Record Attack. (They need to be standard character wads without Lua scripting but the vast majority of custom characters are like that.)

I've also been having a bit of fun spriting custom characters - so far I've made Shantae, Jigglypuff, and Princess Peach. I'm especially happy with Peach:

[​IMG]

12. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Version 1.1 has been released.
    http://youtu.be/NGAj9YjaV2M

Still having fun with this game. If anyone's curious about what characters are offiically in the game, by default, there's Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Metal Sonic. But there are a lot of bonus characters. There's Flicky, Motobug, Amy, Mighty, Ray, Espio, Vector, Chao, E-102 Gamma, Chaos, Shadow, Rouge, Hero Chao, Dark Chao, Cream, E-123 Omega, Blaze, Silver, Wonder Boy (Lizard-Man), Arle, Nights, Sakura Shinguji, Ulala, Beat, Vyse, AiAi, Kiryu Kazuma, Aigis, Hatsune Miku, and Doomguy.

There's been a lot of pretty awesome creations for the game lately, be it characters or tracks, and they keep coming. One server I frequent uses packs consisting of anime characters like Ryuko, Tohru, Serval, Joker (even though he's more of a game character) and so-on. There's even a pack for AoStH characters too.

I do wonder if a Sonic Retro server should be made.

13. IndyCotton

IndyCotton

Sonic & All Stars Racing Super-Deformed? I'm sold.

Seeing Sakura dropped in 1.1's trailer gave me quite a heartshot of happiness though.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  14. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

If the game is updated, then I'm trying it out.

15. VelocitOni

VelocitOni

Almost 10 years of trial membership Member
    1 Year anniversary VOD/Preview of the next version coming in the far future.

16. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    Wow it's been a busy couple of weeks for Sonic between the movie redesign, new prototypes, and new fan game project work. SRB2Kart is an amazing game and the updated menus for this future release look very clean. Looking forward to it!

17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    As excellent as this mod is, it sure was a missed opportunity not to have titled it "Sonic Drift 3". :P

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Maybe to avoid issues with SEGA? If they ever cared about it, that is...

19. TehRealSalt

TehRealSalt

SRB2Kart
    Preview of Marble Garden Zone coming in the next version:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List