don't click here

I want your maps

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Apr 10, 2018.

1. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Sonic 3 Competition plus Level maps

These maps were uploaded by G.E.R. (who has uploaded most of the Encore maps from Sonic Mania Plus) and appear to not be from any official Sonic game, but from a fangame that doesn't even have a page on Sonic Retro, so are these even necessary?

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They shouldn't be on our wiki.

I wouldn't be entirely against the concept of documenting fan games more thoroughly (if they already have a page, it might as well be a bigger page), but the priority would only ever be "important" fan games that are actually worth documenting to this degree (and I can't think of any examples off the top of my head). Ditto, possibly moreso for ROM hacks*. I've never heard of that game before so I would suggest it doesn't qualify.

And I don't much care for all those arrows and text and extra fluff anyway.

The documentation of "real" games is more important. Speaking of which

still waiting~~

There's probably different revisions of the Mania maps too. So much stuff worth doing.

*Some games like Sonic Megamix start becoming worthwhile, not necessarily because it's a "better" hack than the rest, but because commerical copies were produced en masse. Unlicensed commercial copies, but if crappy Mega Drive clones got you through childhood in the former Soviet bloc, who is to say the unlicensed games are less important than the licensed ones? Except for the fact that we all know they're not.

3. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    In any case, I'll mark them all for deletion.

And on the part about Sonic Mania's maps, there have definitely been revisions to the levels since the maps were first made, primarily with the new zone transitions in mind (like from Flying Battery to Press Garden), as well as one extra path added for Mighty in Lava Reef Act 1.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get the best possible maps for the main MD games.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't get this. Going by that logic, you could also say that "crappy Flash fan games got you through childhood, who is to say the Flash fangames are less important than the licensed ones"...

"Fangames with bootleg copies made" seems like a very arbitrary line, and one which can very easily be crossed nowadays by anyone.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If a crappy flash game had an important role in the history of Sonic I would have no objections to covering it. We cover tons of unlicensed tat on Sega Retro and it hasn't done that wiki any harm. Lost a few brain cells but i r stil ok

Very few of these things cross the threshold though, and for those which do, the priority to cover them is very low. However I do think there's some merit in mapping out games like Somari, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's as many Megamix cartridges floating around these days.

7. I'd love to see different unlicensed games get maps and stuff set up. I mean, I've been wanting to see Somari maps for quite a while, but I don't know how to do that myself since there doesn't seem to be any tools for it.

Note that by "unlicensed games", I mainly mean games that try to do the whole momentum setup that Sonic games use, not things like reskinned versions of other games like that Speedy Gonzales game for the Super NES. I'd like to mainly see how various unlicensed games did as far as level design goes, and what kinds of issues they have compared to things like fan-games today.

8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Have the maps from the 2013 Retro Engine versions of Sonic 1 and 2 been documented anywhere? I know the Sonic 1 stages at least have some differences to accomodate the widescreen ratio in boss areas, and to stop Tails/Knuckles skipping over stages with their abilities - from memory, Marble Zone has an entirely new upper route in at least one Act.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's on the list of things we want :)

10. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 level maps
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles level maps

Hitting the cache pretty hard, but I think everything should be there. I would have given the existing files a better naming scheme, but I don't seem to have move permissions on the wiki.

I also considered including "raw" versions without objects and BG layers, and with gritty details like the AIZ1 intro area, layout copy regions, and the actual layout boundaries for the seamless act transitions, but I don't know if that would be going a bit overboard with S3K maps.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There is no such thing as overboard - having all possibilities covered means nobody will need to do this again :eng101:

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 level maps
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles level maps

Okay, just added in the raw maps. Also, I wasn't just venting about the filenames: it would be cool if someone could sort those out at some point.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Excellent.

I agree on the moving of files - I've filed a request to give the permissions back to normal users.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Me again:

https://info.sonicretro.org/File:S2_map_HTZ2.png

I've been playing Sonic 2 for nearly 25 years, and it was only earlier in the week when looking for things in the new CENSOR prototype, that I realised there's an entire top half of Hill Top Zone act 2 that nobody ever visits.

Looked it up only to find our maps are using Emerald Hill Zone graphics. I know why this is a thing, but eeeehhhh.

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    With the thread bumped up, I want to point out something; I noticed the other day on the Wiki that the only rips of the Sonic Crackers maps were of the isometric levels.

(Pointing this out cause if I even knew how to dig into Crackers, I'd have done it already myself, but I don't so... :v: )

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I use that route sometimes. Its definitely not one of the more obvious routes in the game though it's very easy to avoid.

That's the area where instead of lava rising the floor will rise.

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Ditto, I always take the top route during casual play to avoid the lava.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Isn't that the earthquake area? I used to take it every playthough before I forgot how to get there. It leads you straight to the boss area, that's why a checkpoint is in that area if you go left of the gap.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, that's my usual route of choice as well. Still, that wasn't Black Squirrel's main point, that map should definitely be redone :p

20. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    I've been checking through Sonic Triple Trouble's maps to locate the Chaos Emerald monitors for the sake of putting them on the level pages, and yikes, Tidal Plant Zone Act 2's map is incomplete! The bottom half of the level has been cut off entirely:

https://info.sonicretro.org/File:STT_tpz2_map.png

I've gone ahead and flagged the map for being replaced. Then again, they all need more object placements than just Super Ring monitors anyway.