don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
  2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Where others are kind, I'm just gonna be blunt.

No, Wait.. what? That last part

Are you ok? You didn't drink before posting did you? Far be it from me to take easy money... shit. But dude. Word of advice, and I'm not a mod so don't take my word as gospel, or any kind of demand, as much as I'm just trying to steer a new guy in the right direction. You are a trial member. Make your posts count. Make them meaningful. Make them good.

This first one of yours wasn't a good one.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Merged in rather than trash'd simply because I'm going to assume you're being genuine about the paid offer.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I must say, not a fan of the latest update. Chunks no longer export in their default chunk size (For sake of explanation, let's assume 128x128 pixels).

Instead, each image is cropped down in size based on the chunk... and this happens for BOTH the Transparent Background setting checked, and not.

Any way you can fix this?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I didn't intend to change the way chunk exporting worked.

I've fixed it now.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    SonLVL now has support for displaying (not editing) animated art. Before you ask, no, the art isn't animated in the editor, that would be way too intensive for my current drawing system to handle. Currently only the S1 and S2 GitHub disassemblies are equipped with the data to support it.

Unfortunately, due to the way certain animations are set up, I've had to include several binaries in the project files, so the art in the editor may not always reflect the art in the ROM.
    • All animated pattern mappings/blocks in S2, because I can't parse the ASM as it is in the disassembly.
    • The GHZ flower stalk, because it's compressed.
    • The MZ lava, because it's stored in a weird format that I can't copy directly into the art.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles will have support as soon as Neo is finished with the object definitions.

7. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Oh yeah, I forgot.

[​IMG]

It's done. Have fun. Sorry for being ten years late, D.A. Garden. (I included the rocks.)

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    To elaborate on what exactly Neo has done there, he's written definitions for nearly every object in S3K's levels, with properties, graphics, and even overlays showing movement and boundaries. It's taken about 8 months and required me to add several new features to SonLVL, but it's taken S3K from being the least complete of the main three to being the most complete.

9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Wow. I know how much of an undertaking this must have been, but the fact that it's finally completed is just awesome. I know it's a little too late for myself (with S3DAGE, anyway), but I hope others can use this to great effect in making something just as awesome.

Also, Lava Reef Zone Act 1 rocks! (Seriously, to hell with that Zone.)

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I haven't dug around in S2 much but I take it it's missing a bunch of object definitions too?

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Sonic 2 has definitions for every object iirc, but they don't have all the fancy overlays that S3K now has.

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Hey, is there a way to show/edit the start position in S1SSEdit?

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  14. SegaRelatedThings

SegaRelatedThings

I don't know if this is the right place to talk about this, but I was editing a level for a hack I'm making in SonLVL, and somehow I managed to do this:

[​IMG]

Please help me figure out what I did.

EDIT: Figured out the photo thing. :)

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I can't view the picture without the decryption key. Perhaps you should try a more traditional image host, such as imgur.

16. SegaRelatedThings

SegaRelatedThings

Never mind, I figured it out. I guess I had too many rings.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If you want more rings, you can increase the size of the buffer or port the S3K ring manager, which requires changing the ring layout files to S3K format with LevelConverter.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    So thanks to Samey on SSRG, the project files for the S1 2005 disassembly have been updated and are not only fully compatible with the current version of SonLVL, but they've been updated so they have all the same information as the GitHub disassembly's project files.

19. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Hello, I seem to have come across a very strange bug in SonLVL, I cannot understand why this has happened:

So I was modifying the layout of Angel Island Act 1 in the Sonic 3 disassembly using the new "SonLVL - S3.ini" configuration file. The disassembly was almost untouched, I only modified the code slightly and changed a few graphics- nothing of which had any problems after compiling.

The only thing I did change in SonLVL was the AIZ miniboss cutscene from object $80 to object to $AC (the normal miniboss).
    [​IMG]
    After compiling this however, I was greeted with a Sega sound with static at the end that kills the sound driver...
    ...as well as severe RAM corruption:
    [​IMG]
    ...that reminds me of $ID 0D.

Confused yet? I took a look in Github, and apparently all these files were somehow modified as well, when the only thing I changed was that single object (I also tried it a second time with the same result)!
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea whether this is a problem related to SonLVL or the configuration files as I used to use custom Sonic 3 configuration files (these gave no problems) before they were officially added to the disassembly. SonLVL was also just updated today, so I should have the latest version. Help is greatly appreciated!

20. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    A couple of things went wrong here, none of them really SonLVL's fault:

So for some reason, S3's height maps are twice the size they need to be, and SonLVL trims them to the correct length, which is why git shows the files as modified. If you discard those changes, the game should build properly again.

However that begs the question, why should trimming the height maps affect the sound driver like that?

The answer is, since I didn't disassemble the Z80 sound driver, it probably has some hardcoded ROM pointers lying around somewhere that become invalid once you trim the height maps to half their regular size -- the way I aligned the sound driver is demonstrably flawed, and the difference in size is sufficient to throw the sound driver out of alignment.

I've submitted a pull request that aligns the driver using an org directive instead, so keep an eye out for when that lands. Thanks for the report!