don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles Advanced.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Robjoe, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Very nice! I especially like the DEZ1 layout...

However, you really need some air bubbles if possible in the AIZ2 Underwater Section...

2. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    *points to his name*

And Robjoe1107, some things that you've changed really are impressive, especially considering the game you're hacking. S3/S3K is a bitch to hack.

3. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Maybe not, but the mark of the newbie is a name which could have been spat out by Yahoo's random name generator (case in point: dalekman12 - my original name spat out by Yahoo).

4. Maxtream

Maxtream

I love this hack. Very original and the pallette changes are perfect. The one thing I advise is that you change the title card names and then it will be perfect. Thought of any good zone names yet? (<. < ...... .. >.> Want any suggestions?)

BTW keep the green background in Carnival Night, it looks really neat. It has a neon/cyber/carnival in space thing going for it that I really like. Keep up the good work.

5. cosbish69

cosbish69

Nice. I especially like the Marble Garden Zone pallette, it looks like a storm. Now things get interesting...

6. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    So, you found a GG/PAR code that gave you the address of the code that controls the number of selections in the character select in Sonic 3, found that what you saw there in S&K was an unused leftover from the original select screen and did a search for a copy of the data, finding that it was cloned to build a new select screen, and changed an 03 to an 04, according to the fact that the GG/PAR code increased a value by 01?

It's not much, but it's something. I wonder, though, why you can do that, but you apparantly can't type a new name in a file selection box, as evidenced here:

I had to double-check because I hadn't actually used the program in a matter of years, but nothing is ever forced by the program, not even a full or partial filename. I assume that the fact that the filename field isn't cleared before the next box appears must have confused you, in which case I guess you must have overwritten your original full ROM with the patch you created. Next time, erase the file extension and replace it with IPS (or whatever else you feel like) before you click "save"

In the case that you somehow didn't know that you could do that, though, I also wonder why you didn't just change the file extension through Windows before uploading it, since you seemed worried about confusing other people?

I haven't played much into the game yet, but judging from the other parts of the features listing, it seems like a fairly hefty use of existing ROM editing tools. Coming up with something good in terms of editing all these different things for the entirety of Sonic 3 and Knuckles will be a good deal of work. It does seem a bit interesting so far, but I have to be honest and say that when I first saw the starting point in AIZ1, I thought something had gone wrong during the patching process. I then found the spring hidden in the grass, and realized that this is probably what you intended it to look like. I know the tiles they used are harder to fit together in a decent way than in the other games, so I'm withholding judgement until I can see more (because although several parts look ugly, there seem to be a few interesting things mixed in there), which I won't actually have time for right now. I just thought I should make what comment I could on the content since I've already added to the thread. I did also notice that a little bit of the music is screwed up, at least in the copy I patched and ran (the title screen, and the knuckles theme, in specific). I don't know if you know that already, or if it's only happening to me

A good Sonic 3 hack will be interesting to play, so, good luck

7. Robjoe

Robjoe

*Slaps head* Damn, I should've thought about changing the extension in Stealth Patch, but I was kinda in a hurry. Thanks for the tip, I'll do that next time. All I've used is your SonED, and a hex editor. I only use SonED because I enjoy a visual image of what I'm working with. I don't know why the starting point in AIZ screws up, but it happens to me too. Probably has something to do with the Knuckles event. As for tiles, I did the best I could with what I had, but I know it's terrible in places. And about the music, I'm having problems porting songs. I might send Tweaker a PM, but I've already bothered him once. And thanks for wishing me luck. ^_^

I never really thought about new level names besides perhaps changing Mushroom Hill to Mushroom Valley like in S3 beta. I could come up with a few new names.

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Couldn't using the name of an existing game character be considered a very turd-like quality?

9. re-inferno

re-inferno

The level layouts need work, especially AIZ, but that has already been stated and so have the reasons for the level's appearance.
    Hacking-wise it all seems a bit rough currently (pallete changes due to multiple pointers etc.)

But I won't go too far into the negative things since I haven't tried on my own.

But let me tell you one thing:
    Your burnt AIZ1/AIZ2 pallet makes the original one look poor! The red tones (instead of the brown ones) in the foreground and the darker colours of the background fit so much more to the atmosphere of the level, it's incredible!

10. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Potentially, but you know me better than that :)

11. Maxtream

Maxtream

How about, Cyber Carnival for the CNZ level and Tempest Temple for the neat stormy ARZ level?

12. cosbish69

cosbish69

Brilliant ideas, Maxtream. I'm thinking "Sunset Sands" for Sandopolis, and "Infernal Inlet" for Angel Island. Of course the whole alliteration thing isn't necessary...but that's my two cents.

13. Robjoe

Robjoe

Time for a bit of an update. For a few weeks now, I've been working hard on CNZ's layout, and think it's coming alright, but you guys are the judges of that. For now, here's some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<3 IrfanView. So hows it look? I may post a new release upon completion, so you can get a first-hand go, but those screens should give you a rough idea of how it's going.

As for new level names, I doubt I'll end up doing them. I've got some ideas (like Toxic Ruins for HCZ, and Rusty Egg for DEZ), but they wouldn't fit in the level select (besides Cyber Carniva;l, which I like, by the way) without me relocating the level select text, which I'm sure is way over my head. Futhermore, I don't know how to do titlecards, either. -_- Maybe someday...

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Layout looks cool, but the palette is... Questionable. I know how hard it is to get a good look on CNZ, though.

15. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

White and Purple looks fine everywhere in those screens except the lift-platform thing.

16. Maxtream

Maxtream

Cyber Carnival doesn't fit? How about Neon Rush?

17. Robjoe

Robjoe

Yea. It does, atleast, blend better than deep red, bright yellow, and blue badniks. A little fruity, but oh well.

It's because the purple was originally red, and the blue was originally yellow, thus it made a shine effect. But with any other colors, n0. Most other stuff is good, though.

I said it was the only one that did fit.

18. Robjoe

Robjoe

Update time. CNZ has been completed for the most part (just needs a bit of debugging), and I've began work on on Hidden Palace. Here's some screenies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the shot with Knuckles, the pallette is the original because a different one is loaded midway through the level. This is done so the crystals at the beginning can be purple, and the teleporter pedestals and emerald shrines can be green. I wander if ChaoSaX-Pal knows where the second pallette is.

The shot with Blue Knuckles demonstrates an error. Some "walls" aren't solid. This leaves me with two choices:

1. I learn how to generate objects and make a bunch of solidity blocks, and place them inside the unimplemented "walls".

2. I learn collision editing and actually make those "walls" solid.

I'm leaning towards #2, because it would save space in HPZ's object directory, and Knuckles & Blue Knuckles can't climb on solidity objects. Although I know nothing on the topic of collision editing, nor do I know the location of HPZ's index. SCHG and SHIT are down, too (though I don't think they have any S3K information anyway).

So, besides the bugs, hows it looking? And also, I've remixed tunes 30 (S3 standalone final boss) and 06 (MGZ2).

19. Robjoe

Robjoe

*GASP* Double post. Anyway, I've got my hack on my new computer, and some of the pallettes don't look as I intended them to, as this monitor (and most probably 90% or so of you guys') is brighter than my old one, so I'll touching up (and redoing a few) said pallettes. For now, here's some screenshots of HCZ and CNZ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've redone HCZ because, quite frankly, it sucked much balls. How's this new one lookin'?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is more of how it looked on my old monitor, as well as brighten up pipe-things on the inside (as seen in the screenshot Knux).

Next up on the list will be MHZ's second pallette, though I've no clue on what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Also, you'll be glad to know that I've temporarily ported the S&K intro back in as a placeholder, as well as figured out what's been going wrong with my imports (I think). So for now, my two main objectives will be touching up pallettes, and finally fixing my damn music imports (as well as working on a little something for Tweaker's layout contest).

20. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

New HCZ looking nice. The new HPZ isn't much different looking than the old one. New CNZ... it's ok.
    Blue knux is still awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.