don't click here

Sonic Worlds with Partner System!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ice, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Ice

Ice

I'm gonna make a sonic fangame one day BELIEVE IT! Member
    Sonic Alpha
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONIC! And what way to celebrate his birthday by choosing this day to release...

Introducing SONIC WORLDS DELTA 1.5.2 with PARTNER SYSTEM!

This is basically a tails follow like you see in any other classic sonic game but this time isn't just for tails only AND it's available to the public. THERE IS NO SHADOW AS A PARTNER BECAUSE THAT DOES NOT WORK. Feel free to modify or use to your fan games as you wish but please give credit. This partner system was created by Carlos Ushiromiya, me(Ice), and Lighto. I worked really hard on this but without them I couldn't have gotten this done. If it weren't for Rifty who brought the team together this partner system would have never seen the light of day and I'm really happy all of our efforts didn't go to waste. So please make sure to give credit to Rifty, Carlos Ushiromiya, Ice, and Lighto and enjoy! We did our best to make sure this is waaay better than what was seen in Sonic Classic 1 or Sonic Axiom, not saying those where bad games, far bad in fact, don't even think about the word bad, those are some of my favorite sonic fangames and inspired me to work on this, so thank you Hez and Vector.

Making a partner system is arduous but that's exactly why we did it so you wouldn't have too. I'm pretty sure this is something most people wanted for a long time so just imagining the smiles on their faces puts a smile on my face. I made sure this project would be finished for you guys to put in your fan games and this seriously could not have been done without the help of everyone on the team. Please note that this isn't perfect(nothing is) and that this works with most but not all gimmicks since worlds wasn't built with 2player in mind. if they end up making a 2player version that's the one you should be waiting for but for people like me who wanted one now this is the best we could do.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy Sonic's special today with this!

Update 1: Animations
    Update 2: being carried. flying is more smoothly and you can actually hit enemies and boxes after jumping off tails.
    Update 3: Added grabbing sfx when player grabs on to tails(dunno how i forgot to add that in the first place). Fixed player not being able to hang onto things and drown when being carried by tails. Also fixed Tails(or any other partner) responding speed. they should fly faster or slower depending on how farther or close they are to the player just like in sonic 3/mania. Shield abilities are now canceled out when player is being carried. Partner doesnt respond next to the player but rather in the same coordinates as the player after responding from checkpoint(thanks for Techokami mentioning that to me i completely forgot silly me).
    Update 3: reuploaded files to fix amy's spindash not disappearing.
    Update 4: Fixed partner's bouncing when flying back to player.

Download:
    DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wveg0100jfntah/SWD%201.5.2%20w%20Partner.7z?dl=0
    Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/chshe66cn150kp8/SWD_1.5.2_w_Partner.7z/file
    GoogleDrive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Vj1_SRj6tSTDzJ-Jb6jgrraJ5D5UfrS/view?usp=sharing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh what's that? You're a not so simple user like me? don't worry I gotchu not so simple fans covered.
    Download:
    Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2oljadij3mssby/NotSoSimpleSonicWorlds%20w%20Partner.7z?dl=0
    Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rr9dohyi19ghez6/NotSoSimpleSonicWorlds_w_Partner.7z/file
    GoogleDrive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qj9azvoEWIrDIeNgFbH1u1Mbm9PkHF16/view?usp=sharing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S you can change partners in-game.
    For Delta 1.5.2 press "R"
    For nss press "E"

Here are videos to showcase each version:
    Delta 1.5.2
    http://youtu.be/dMeFgnqMNzM
    Not So Simple
    http://youtu.be/mkEqkBLx2IY

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I've always been meaning to port Sonic Classic 1's following system over to worlds. This is cool, Ill give it a download.

3. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    Aw thanks! that means alot hearing that from you heh heh. I gonna update the not so simple one because i forgot to add animations for when they respond. gonna do that now.
    and thanks for being a big part of my childhood. I remember when I first played Sonic Classic and I'm still absolutely excited for Sonic Classic 2!
    Edit: Done.

4. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    updates have been made.

5. Icedland

Icedland

eh? Member
    Thuringia, Germany
    Untimely Clockwork
    Sonic Worlds finally has surpassed it's Game Maker Counterparts Sonic Max and Sonic Dash, which had AI prior already, but unlike Dash's AI it's accurate, It's great!

6. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    it is!? wow! I had no idea! couldn't have done it without our team! and thank you for those kind words! hearing people's satisfaction made this all the well more worth it!

7. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Finally got around to looking at this (my Worlds Delta dev workspace somehow vanished from my Dropbox?! Still have release backups but still) and I noticed a few strange things...
    First, why is the 2P start at a different X coordinate than 1P? It's not really what the classic games did, and it seems to prevent 2P AI from correctly reaching a "home" position (that is, the same position as 1P)
    Second, why doesn't 2P AI jump after I jump? Or roll after I roll?

I suggest taking the time to read over the Sonic 2 disassembly to see how the 2P AI is implemented, so that you could go back and refine things to be more accurate.

8. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    I appreciate the feedback!
    The first can easily be fixed by moving the helpers starting position to the same as the player. the reason why it has its own starting position is to give the coder more freedom to do with the partner. For example, if you want to make a cutscene, and want the helper's position elsewhere, thankfully with this method you can do that.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, the ai was not done by me, and since I did not create the ai I had trouble understanding it and tried to modify it but failed unfortunately. However I DID inform the person who made the ai, as we both know it needs improvement, if possible, completely redone.

Also about the disassembly thing, I have no clue how it works or how to open it. I never done anything like this before and im worried if itll be hard for me to understand his I'm not an expert coder but nevertheless I'll try to figure out a way.

9. Noah Copeland

Noah Copeland

This is very cool! Tails' air assist is especially smooth. Nice job

10. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    Thank you so much! and good luck with Sonic Triple Trouble 16 bit remake I can't wait to play it!

11. Noah Copeland

Noah Copeland

thank you! *high five*

12. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    *high fives* :D

13. LastingTime

LastingTime

This looks promising! I'll try it soon.

14. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    I'm going to update it soon so I'd recommend waiting. If anyone has been keeping in touch with the updates you can tell how drastically it's changed since the first released version. Seriously every update feels more accurate then ever before. In fact I dare say this IS the most accurate Partner System for Sonic Worlds so far.

Of course ai still needs work...

15. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    sorry for the 3-day wait but I came across a few more bugs and wanted to fix some more things. This is the smoothest version of the partner system so far.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    There's a way I THINK you could just duplicate player one. This would make it so that any code applied to player one, would also work with player two. This would also allow for unlimited extra players. The problem is, it would take A LOT of retooling of the code that already exists for the core player. It works in my head, but I haven't had any time to actually apply it. Also, fusions object orientation is a nightmare so it might blow up.

17. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    the partner was just a duplicated player one, actives and all except we have to change give the partner's their own variables but mostly they sharing everything, unless you're talking about a different method of duplication that i have no clue about.
    And I totally agree fusion's object orientation is a nightmare.

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    It would be different. I mean't duplicate literal player one, not cloning it into a player two object. Like create two player ones and then differentiate them. It'd share all the same code, so that way if you, lets say, coded a new spring you could hang on. It'd only affect player one. The OTHER player one would be tagged with some flag or something so it would ignore controls, not lose rings, etc.

19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well the evident would be to have a parent object for a playable character, then have leader and follower as to child objects of that parent, each one with their specific behaviors. Most of it would be the same, but they would branch were needed. I'm saying this not knowing if this kind of programming is possible on fusion, since I checked the trial version and outright hated it for not being able to write real code like gamemaker allowed, but that's not the question here. The point is that, in my experience, having everything coded into the same object can lead to more issues than the ones it fixes, it's always better to separate things that do different things, and inheritance is your best friend to avoid duplicated code beyond that.

20. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    OOOOOOOOOOOH! ok now I see what you mean!

you've gotta point there. tbh im not sure if sharing everything would work either but until its been tested can't say for sure. Hopefully I might or someone can test this out in the future.