don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Spacezone

Spacezone

I doubt that Super Mario will be bad as StH Movie since Nintendo seems to have a tight grip on it's IPs compared to Sega, and also it's done by a competent animation studio. You can't really go wrong with pure CGI movie when Mario series is already in CGI nowadays. The movie seems like that it has no control from Sega, or maybe just their corporate stupidity thinking that this type of movie sells well. And from what I've seen from the pre-production shots and also the summary of the plot. I think it's pretty safe to say that Sonic movie will end up being much worse than Mario, since it's just literally Alvin and Chipmunks and Smurfs movies with a slightly different plot.

I will never understand why they went for a dumb "cartoon character goes into real world" trope instead of making a completely original CGI adventure similar to Sonic Unleashed opening/shorts.

2. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I think Aerosol is talking about the old live action Super Mario movie, not the upcoming CGI one.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd like to imagine it'd be less schlocky than the old Super Mario Bros movie, but by how much who knows.

As for the new Mario movie reportedly being made I think that's an even bigger waste of time than this movie. Mario's games may be fun but he's a very boring character with games that are even less focused on plot than Sonic's somehow. In some way Sega might even be wise to have a looser grip on the Sonic franchise when it comes to this movie. Nintendo, in an effort to avoid anything remotely close to the original Mario bros movie, will likely have such a tight hold over the movie that I'm having a hard time imagining it being interesting. At least this movie has a chance of being so bad it's good. I just can't imagine the new Mario movie being anything besides boring (but it might at least look nice).

4. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    And I say it'll be a perfectly fine children's movie. His adorable expressions will save his ass: Sonic = the unforgettable classic, Mario = watch it with your friends

Nintendo and Sega should have joined forces to make one bad good movie instead of two bad movies. :v:

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Now that'd of made a good CG movie. A Mario and Sonic crossover would be pretty cool.

6. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I'd love to see something like Super Mario Bros. Z - in full, proper, CGI - come to the big screen.

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    From what I've read, people usually say the Mario RPGs have pretty good stories (especially the first threee Paper Mario games), so an adaptation of that could work. It's like how Legendary are making a Pokemon movie based on the Detective Pikachu spinoff, rather than the main games. With that said, I presume it's likely going to be more of a standalone story that doesn't directly adapt any of the games like this upcoming movie does.

I'd have more expectations for the Mario movie if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo elected to take the project to Illumination. Granted, Miyamoto himself is said to be supervising the project...but it's the studio behind the Minions and that CG Lorax adaptation (as well as the upcoming CG Grinch adaptation). If you want to make an exceptional film Illumination's really not the studio to pick, as most of their films don't rise above being decent at best.

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I love the Minions movie. :colbert:

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    If Nintendo really does have creative control over the Mario movie, it'll be fine at worst. Illumination makes sense as a work-for-hire studio, they crank shit out for (relatively) cheap.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think the film is going to be absolutely awful and have no interest in it whatsoever. It will probably have barely anything to do with the games, and if it does, it will probably be done terribly. Jim Carrey's great, but, I can't see him as Robotnik.

They could have made a movie in the style of Mania Adventures for a much smaller budget than this and it would probably have made a better profit.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Eh. It may be fine in terms of faithfulness, but quality-wise? I wouldn't take that for granted, Nintendo was never known for the quality of its stories. An amazing game doesn't necessarily translate to a good movie.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    well i did say fine, not good lmao

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya but unfortunately the RPG plots have become rather tame and boring.

I am curious if they'd make Mario and friends talk though beyond just the usual sound clips. I mean they'd have to right? Hope Charles Martinee doesn't mind talking to himself in a room for 90% of the script lol

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Speaking of RPGs. Back in the days when Square Enix announced FFVII Advent Children it was like a dream come true. Me and my friends were playing our favourite video games (including FFVII, I was actually the one with an original copy) and eating chips all night long. It was perfect timing. It has aged well and I still find joy in watching it. You can tell FFVII Advent Children was made to be shown in movie theatres. And that's where the problem lies. The movie watching experience is always different depending on where you are. Sonic has to be good to watch on a big screen AND your tablet.

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
  16. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    That's surprising... but something come in mind...

Could that be not Eggman/Robotnik...But Ovi Kintobor?

17. Linkabel

Linkabel

Perhaps, they could do a Lex Luthor/Superman thing where Sonic causes a transformation where Eggman loses his hair and turns into a bad guy.

After all, Sonic is supposed to be a troublemaker so maybe in that picture Eggman is complaining about him to the sheriff. Sheriff doesn't do anything which causes Eggman to go after Sonic. An incident happens and that makes him an evil genius.

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Unless this is supposed to be a disguise, that design looks nothing like any incarnation of Eggman/Robotnik, not even the Saturday morning cartoon versions; that looks more like Dr. Light from Megaman. Not too surprised given the direction this project has taken from the very beginning though.

Hopefully Carrey has fun in the role and turns out an entertaining performance nonetheless.

19. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    [​IMG]

EDIT: This tweet aged poorly already.

20. Linkabel

Linkabel

Apparently that's not even Jim Carrey/Eggman.

https://twitter.com/AmandaFlagg/status/1041858281717739520?s=19