don't click here

Le Monde article on Sonic fan games and SAGE

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlazeHedgehog, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Hi! I didn't know if this should go in the fan game forum or general discussion, so the mods can probably move the thread around at their discretion. It's not specifically about a fan game project, but it is about the fan gaming community. I also could have posted about it a week ago, but with writing my SAGE reviews for TSSZ and Labor Day, it was a long, long, long week and I needed to rest and recharge.

ANYWAY

Le Monde is one of France's biggest newspapers, having been published since 1944. It has something like a quarter million readers! During SAGE, they published an article about the event, and about the proliferation of Sonic fan games in general, called "Faute de bons jeux « Sonic », les fans développent les leurs" ("When There's No Good Sonic Games, Fans Develop Their Own"). It's entirely in french, but it's not hard to feed it to Google Translate.

https://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2018/08/29/faute-de-bons-jeux-sonic-les-fans-developpent-les-leurs_5347323_4408996.html

I was one of the people interviewed to be part of this article (the other being the founder of SFGHQ, Rlan), and today I got approval from the writer to post my unedited interview responses, which, uh, total out to more than 10 pages of text.

https://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/177766562813/faute-de-bons-jeux-sonic-les-fans-d%C3%A9veloppent

It's worth mentioning that with some of the more historical elements of the community, a lot of it was a long time ago, so forgive me if my memory wasn't 100% accurate about certain timelines.

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    "When There's No Good Sonic Games, Fans Develop Their Own"
    So even non-gaming news outlets are starting to shit on Sonic too, uh?

Nothing against you BlazeHedgehog, but the title of the article rubs me the wrong way. Especially since they mention Sonic Mania in it, a game that they considered good in their review. So... if we go by their standards, there are good sonic games, then?

apologies, that was just me being a pissed off fanboy because of the title of an article on the internet

The interview was very interesting tough. I learn at lot about the fan gaming community. (also that Sonic/MegaMan X crossover fan game seems awesome, a shame you never finished it)

3. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    You're overreacting. The title reads as true if you consider that Sonic Mania also came from fan devs that came out of the fan dev scene. The Sonic community literally wanted to make good games so badly that it went all the way to SEGA.

4. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Always nice to see when a major news outlet is interested in fangaming! I always feel like it brings us one step closer to an understanding with major game studios with regards to treating fangames like fanart (i.e. a hands-off approach).

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I mean, I'm not salty or anything, and the article was actually really good, but EVERY year, for EVERY Sage, they'll always be a website doing an article called something like "Sonic games suck so fans have to make their own lol", and I'm just kinda tired of it, I guess. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, that's not what Sage is about at all. It's a celebration of the fanbase's love for Sonic, not the fanbase trying to be better than Sega. But that's just my take on it.

And as I said before, great article, great interview.

6. Felik

Felik

Gotta get those clicks somehow, you know)