don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I remember seeing those in Spanish magazines, and also the one underwater with Tails and the crab.

2. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
  3. Xilla

Xilla

Those two images were also available to buy as full size posters in Woolworths I believe.

4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    They were definitely available as a full-size poster from somewhere, as my brother's friend brought a poster of the Oil Ocean one in to add to a SEGA display table in their class at school one week - among other things, including an imported JP copy of Sonic 2, bizarrely enough! Think I have a photo of the display somewhere...

5. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I don't know if anyone knows or cares about this but. I'm doing some "archiving" and came across a MD compilation called Mega 10 in 1 (W) [!]. Sonic 1 REV00 is on it but with a functioning Press Start Button message on it. Anyone familiar with this? I haven't seen mention of it and it's legit.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I assume you're talking about this:
    https://segaretro.org/Mega_Games_10

It's pretty obscure, but it was covered to some extent before:
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=8815&view=findpost&p=905492
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=8815&view=findpost&p=288638

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Challenge time:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think this is the Estonian release of Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PC. Andrico are meant to be Estonian distributors.

However, Andrico are also meant to cover Latvia and Lithuania. Except I can't prove there were Latvian and Lithuanian versions.

This company has, in the past, released multi-lingual covers for the Baltic region, such as this:
    [​IMG]

But is this more of the exception than the rule? i.e. are Latvia and Lithuania forced to deal with Estonian covers because the distributor is based in Estonia? Does anyone care?

8. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

So, I was going to ask this in the hacking forum, but I had no idea where I would even ask about this... So I'll just put it here since it does count as "other knowledge."

A few years ago, I discovered something strange with a particular wisp capsule in the Wii version of Sonic Colors.
    At the very beginning of the first act of Asteroid Coaster, you're on a rollercoaster that you have to jump off at a certain point indicated by one wisp capsule and three rainbow rings.

The strange thing, however, is that if you happen to press the joystick in a different direction while jumping (which causes you to misdirect the jump and fall), you can save yourself by using a homing attack on the wisp capsule!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR9IPtjgCWU&feature=youtu.be

Now, as far as I'm aware, this is not something that's a mechanic in this game in any other place. You can't use a homing attack on a wisp capsule anywhere else!
    The only thing that comes close is that this is possible only in the DS version fo Colors.

If anyone is willing to, I'd like for someone to look into why this is possible on this specific capsule and to see if it's possible to turn it on for all wisp capsules.
    I know that Colors modding and hacking is a rarity nowadays, but it's definitely something that has bugged me for a while.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Maybe there's another object hidden underneath?

10. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    Remember the Sonic Adventure Music Experience event? Well, two years ago Popoco (who's also a pretty awesome artist, by the by) actually did two write-ups on the live talk that was carried out prior to the concert. The talk was lead by Jun Senoue, joined by Mizuki Hosoyamada, Tetsu Katano, Hiroshi Nishiyama, Eitaro Toyoda and Tomoya Ohtani.

I'm not gonna translate the whole thing, since it's mostly just the group commenting on how hectic and heart-throbbing the development on the Adventure games was and joking around, but I'll list out some amusing bits.
    • Katano created Sonic Jam's 3D field.
    • Windy Valley was the first stage made, and the last stage remade. Iizuka really wanted a tornado there.
    • Katano was newly-wed at the time he went with the rest of SA1's research trip in Central and South America.
    • Katano seems to be a fan of Big, as he got mad at Toyoda for talking down on the fishing gameplay. Then everybody laughed.
    • Toyoda recalls Katano singing along to the tune of Pyramid Cave from behind while he was working. He seemed to be singing lyrics from a Bakufu Slump song.
    • Ohtani gave the files of the songs he composed names like "wind surface", song1, song2, "sparkly", "nostalgic piano" and such.
    • In the section of the talk discussing soap shoes, Nishiyama explains that he did various sports like snowboarding and such, though the soap shoes that had plastic parts attached to the bottom were getting popular, so he brought them to Iizuka's and told him "let's do this" and with the same thought the duo had in mind, they immediately drew up concept art of Sonic wearing them.
    • Sonic falling out from GUN's helicopter was apparently added because sky surfing was surging in popularity at the time. Nishiyama seems to have had experience with it?
    • Senoue describes the Sonic stages' music genre as ska punk-like. Ohtani describes Knuckles's as acid jazz, dub, and some hip-hop with rap.
    • The first song Ohtani composed for SA2 was Pumpkin Hill, which he described as "pumpkin surface" in the file name, apparently.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I got this rad bootleg Sonic coloring book for my Birthday recently, complete with the Sonic Drive-In logo on the front cover. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat little book, kids would dig it. It does what it's supposed to do: provide lines to be colored between. For older fans though, it's a trip. Take the adventure with me, if you feel up to it. The art is mostly lineart of Yuji Uekawa's Adventure, Advance, Rush, and Sonic Channel art - some where the lineart is likely taken from .PSD files (from the Sonic Art Assets folder that started making the rounds around 2009), and also some where I assume a magic wand tool was used to remove the color, leaving behind lines where the highlights and shadows would be. There's also some weird knock-off stuff, possibly stolen fanart, and Sonia and Manic for some reason. It's even the same Sonia that Sumo accidentally used in ASR for Wii.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqjvOUlGs00[/youtube]
    Fun Fact: This book was printed on September 1st, barely 45 minutes from where I live.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fast Forward

[​IMG]

Somewhere on one of these wikis I made a list of Look-In magazines that appeared to be covering Sonic the Hedgehog in some way. We need scans or something - we always need scans.

Anyway the strange and frugal world of 1980s British TV caused the BBC to release a rival magazine in 1989 - Fast Forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnb8EEw_Q8

Coming from a time where it was illegal for the BBC to publish TV listings for ITV (and vice versa), I had assumed Fast Forward would be a typical old-style inwards-looking BBC publication that would only cater for the middle classes. But the existence of this freebie badge suggests that they recognised Sonic the Hedgehog existed at some point, which means, by extension, there's probably coverage of it somewhere. In between Kylie and Jason and the life and times of Andi Peters, of course (and everyone's favourite paedophile Jimmy Saville!).

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Today's unexpected internet find:

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:CVG_UK_Supplement_SegaSuperstarsVolume1.pdf&page=4
    https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:CVG_UK_Supplement_SegaSuperstarsVolume1.pdf&page=26

This is a "Sega Superstars" supplement of Computer and Video Games from some point in 1992. The scan isn't great, but it is complete.

It has screenshots of the weird "Sonic holding a CD" sequence from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 CD. If this was scanned properly, there's the potential for better quality screenshots than we have now (I think the current set were sourced from EGM). CVG were printing on pretty cheap paper during this time period though, so no guarantees.

p.s. not much else of value in here - there's a couple of unreleased games, but not really enough to justify having the separate booklet. Oh well.

14. Pengi

Pengi

[​IMG]

The green thing on this Sonic 3 Happy Meal box. Am I missing something obvious, or...

[​IMG]

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    SEGA must have sent them some assets or screenshots before they split up the game or something.

Haha, also, why are all the rings sideways?

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I count four different types of Happy Meal box - surely that's overkill, but whatever.

That Ice Cap one is probably the most accurate (and the only one with "rings"). Probably more of a coincidence that that platform lines up with what's seen in Sky Sanctuary - they all seem to be making stuff up (unless they're based on a prototype we know nothing about).

There are signs these are based on older material though:

https://i.imgur.com/0U6ZQ5e.jpg

Prototypes show Launch Base act 1 with a purple sky.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Huh, so that Knux drawing from the S&KC box art is older than I realized. Where can I see more photos? Do we have scans of these on the wiki?

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I don't have the boxes, but it seems to be the box for Tails' toy, and that had a shape that could fit in the place for the green top box piece, or be some kind of decoration for the bae of the toy. By the way, I have the four toys in perfect condition, if that can be of some use. Wwell, as good as new, they were never perfect.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Take pictures for the wiki.