don't click here

Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Yeah, that object recovery was genius...and so glaringly obvious that I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. Fantastic work.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    That's actually not the only one either! :v:

Edit:
    Some editor stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FzqY0o8OZg

3. Sgn98

Sgn98

Italy
    You're making good progress with Sonic Studio (aka Sonic Maker) and once it's in its release version, I can try it to see how everything is structured and contains some annoying bugs. :D

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I don't know if you already answered it(sorry if you did), but will you be able to share your levels online, like in Mega Maker (and Mario Maker)?

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Thanks!

@SuperSnoopy I can't say much on that end right now, basically mostly anything I can't show I can't confirm.

Couple new vids showing more pushblock features.
    https://twitter.com/SonicStudioProj/status/1031942477295636481
    https://twitter.com/SonicStudioProj/status/1032039313654140928

6. Yes!!

This is awesome, can't wait!

7. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I think this is an amazing project. What I would like to see is a simple graphics editor. I don't know anything about how this sort of thing works, but if it was even possible to simply take the game sprites, and then customize the frames, or at least the level tiles and backgrounds, that would be a dream come true. Fans and artists could start trading completely unique levels and concepts. One of the things I loved about Mario Maker was using all the set pieces in novel ways to create new level concepts, whereas a lot of what I saw others making seemed very slapstick and amature. It would also be nice if the foreground tiles could be mixed and matched instead of just one texture.

I just see so much potential with what your building, like a whole community could be built around it. Stunning!

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ooh I have mentioned this elsewhere but I'll mention here that custom assets won't be a thing.

Just quick explanation:
    There are fundamental issues (and just misc issues, like, there are reasons why MarioM or MegaM don't have it as a function (even aside from the horrors that would appear), and more reasons for something like this where it's not just all easy grid tiles). Of course, I'd love a world where it's practical to add this into this kind of project but it's just not.

I get that it's more expected in this case, what with the thousands of Sonic fangames out there and custom OC characters and zones etc etc, but honestly if that's the main goal (doing more drawing than actually creating layouts) it would make more sense
    to actually make a real fangame in a real IDE?

I probably wouldn't be bothering to do new assets of my own for it if they were able to be swapped out. :colbert:

The main focus of SS is free and flexible accessible 2D Sonic level design. The focus for making something unique is on... more uniquely using what you have and the various options available in different combinations. You have far more freedom of placement and rotation of many items in SS compared to MM, and of course, infinite freedom with the solid shapes. You can mix and match the style of item (such as a GHZ palm tree in Chemical Plant... not sure how that could be pulled off but you never know) Though most stages will have their own variation of each item (for example, GHZ palm tree becomes a long hollow wood stump in Wood Zone, or MZ break block becoming a wood crate in WZ also). But this can be chosen.

I certainly think that with or without custom graphics, the highlight of a game like this would be the level gameplay - and physically making the gameplay. Physics. Slopes. 'N stuff :v:
    To close: as they say, "Limitations Breed Creativity".

Anyway that was just a notice, thanks VectorCNC and glad you like it so far!

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie

I fully agree with this decision. The project would be cumbersome with thosa additions as well. I'd maybe just add a level art editor if time allowed. JUST that. Modifying the existing objects skins. I wouldn't go further than this. Obviously the background for this would either be static, or being able to choose between the seven already existing paralaxing setups. I wouldn't go further than this.

Adding too many extras in a game just becomes hard to manage. I'm getting to that point with my own game...just don't do it.

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I agree. Custom assets would be nice, but then you would be running into the 'engine" deal. Like you said, at the point you might as well use something like the dozens of GM engines or Sonic Worlds engine.

11. Spacezone

Spacezone

I think having custom assets could be possible, I mean it doesn't really have to have a full on graphics editor in-game or support for importing outside graphics into the main game. I think having the option to mix and match top and ground tiles (and the ability to recolour these tiles) would be the best option for a "custom" zone. Since it would be pretty easy and very accessible for a person with no art skills to make a "custom" zone, than having to read lots of sprite-making guides to make a decent looking custom zone. Hell, you could just recolour Green Hill tiles and call it a new zone "Dead Hills" Zone, or maybe just mix and match Green Hill and Chemical Plant tiles and call it "Green Plant". And besides that, I think it would kinda give off a simple "romhack" vibe that most Sonic romhacks have (Though, I'm not sure if that's what you want).

But I don't know if you really want to do that way, but I think this is probably the way to do it without having to pull that much of work compared to making a full on graphics editor inside of a level editor. And also I'm sorry if someone mentioned this similar thing earlier, because I wasn't entirely sure if there was implied mention of a "mix/match" function suggestion.

Oh, just another question. I'm not sure if I have missed this. Are you planning on featuring online sharing as like Mario Maker's online sharing? Or some degree of sharing? Because I believe having a mix and match sorta thing would actually work the best with it, since you don't really have to download actual custom graphics but just pure data values for the game to easily take from. And not to mention that, the download times would be much quicker compared to downloading the custom graphics.

But anyways, I think this new editor looks really amazing! I actually really love the concept of using vector shapes to create the levels in the most simplest and most accessible way. It really works with Sonic in general, since most of the levels are mostly made out of simple geometric shapes that can be simplified into vector shapes. And I love the way you made the graphics, they're quite similar to Mania's graphic style but except that it's much more detailed in a subtle way. Gotta like how you did the trio, they look pretty great!

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I get questions all the time so I'm doing a QnA video soon, so it's a chance to get some answers if you do happen to have questions. Though I'm favouring questions about development/the process over asking about/for features.

https://twitter.com/SonicStudioProj/status/1039231596803575808

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]
    Example of sprite update/facelift
    [​IMG]

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Not just that, but that new grounder also went to the gym and got in better shape overall. Old one looked more like a blind mole, though, I mean, more like a robotic animal than just a machine. Not complaining: first one looks funnier, second one's a more pleasant thing to look at.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Oh gosh he looks great. pleaseeeee put a green variant in there too lmao

16. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Awesome dude! Your attention to detail is amazing and you have such a good eye for design/sprite improvements that makes your work look official and like the real thing. Excellent work.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Some early Halloween pixel art! Sorta related (but not really)
    [​IMG]

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It looks like this has all the same colours as the original sprite? That's brilliant work.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    There are added inbetweens in some cases, like the reds here - but mostly these are used to blend the main block shades. So effectively yes but it has been 'anti aliased' somewhat with extra colours.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot showing some newer artwork/elements

[​IMG]