don't click here

Level art contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Rika Chou, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxtream

Maxtream

That was really good. You shouldn't always conform to one idea, if this is your hack, then make it your own, don't try and copy the same exact art from the genssis. The way you did the grass was perfect, original, but still holding true to sinic. I'm going to try and aim for that standard. I'm thinking about doing a water level, any suggestions?

So far in the Sonic Series, Water Zones follow to archetypes.

Mechanical Water Levels (Chemical Plant, Tidal Plant,)

Anceint Ruin Water Levels (Labyrinth, Hydrocity, Tidal Tempest)

and some Snow Levels also double as water levels. I want to do something original. The water level for sonic rush looks very creative, and I want to try and reach for that.

I just don't want to fall flat on my face agian like I did with that desert level. :)

2. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    A beach underwater level, I haven't seen yet (unless you count AIZ). Or maybe and underground cave? Something that would be like... you know, potholing? You could have a large underwater cave, and small pockets of air to pop up for breathing?

I dunno, that's my underwater level ideas spent.

3. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    It's nice, but maybe you should add additional islands, or, like someone else has mentioned, you should add a few other mountains.

4. Dragonsbrethren

Dragonsbrethren

Or a HPZ style cave, which my tiles could work with, since they're made to look like parts of the HPZ background...

*fires up iDraw*

(Seriously though, no one gets their hopes up about these graphics, I'm very bad with graphics, I just happened to pick something I find easy to do, but I doubt they'll be as good as the "real" Sonic graphics)

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Looks good to me.... Well, the bg is kinda empty this way. And the loop's path is very MSPaint... It needs shading. Else it is perfect.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    With "path", do you mean that clear line in the inner side of the loop?

7. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I've been working on "Emerald City Zone**" for a few hours. It's not as good as Sonic, but I've tried my best. This is perhaps my best pixel work.

** Emerald City Zone is a copyright of ThunderSpeed.

Attached Files:

8. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Good try, Thunder, but I don't think that's what he's looking for. It looks too much like Roof Top Zone that Rika put in the hack.

9. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    The first post in this topic says something about a Roof Top Zone remake, IIRC.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    That's good, but again, not what I am looking for.

It's looks too 8-bit-ish. There are not enough colors, or details, and it's not exactly Sonic Style art..

Good effort though!

11. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    I feel like adding more to my Crystal idea, but I don't know what else to put... Especially the background, I tried drawing simply clouds like S2gg's CEZ and they came out awful.

12. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Thanks for the compliment. I'll try harder next time.

13. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    [​IMG]

I never bothered to do all of this, but I just wanted to show you a pretty cool way of shading to make stuff seem more detailed, ThunderSpeed. It gets rid of that "perfect" look.

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Yes. It looks so sharp.
    I always compare slope drawings with Metropolis Sonic 2, and this is just too clear. It needs light shading.

15. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
  16. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Whew, it looks more like a template if you ask me. No offense. Good effort though.

17. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    (If that was directed at me and only if) Thanks, it was really a mere practice run, it is a template. (if you would call it that) See how I provided the pallete, visually, and gave some tiles, no specific size, and an example of gameplay. (not a good one)

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    UH OH! I'm GOING TO DO IT! I'm GOING TO BUMP A PINNED TOPIC!

19. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    So um... You still looking for custom level art? I'm no artist though...

20. Vangar

Vangar

Vangar is teh artist, but pixel art goes over my head. Sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.