don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Ben Schwartz is being reported to be the voice of Sonic. He voices Dewey in the DuckTales reboot as well as Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

E: confirmed

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    He's also pretty well known for playing Jean Ralphio on Parks & Recreation. I could actually see this being surprisingly good casting for the character. A very different pick than someone like Roger Craig Smith but one I could see being really fun.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    It's probably at his centre? I think the shiny ball is for them to get dat gud lighting on Sonic when they add him in.

4. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Ben Schwartz is such a good choice, I'm a little surprised. I was fearing a Justin Timberlake situation, but I actually think Ben will do a great job.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Well, it would have been a strange disconnect to have CG Roger talking to live-action Jimbotnik. Potential downside is if successful, the current cast could get the chop like the Adventure cast did when 4Kids came along.

Casting is good, but damn the synopsis is requiring a trailer for me to even consider seeing it.

6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I would comfortably bet my last dollar that they would not replace the current cast with the movie cast. Especially In terms of affordability and availability it wouldn't make any sense. This is a strictly movie-based choice, I don't have a single doubt.

7. Xilla

Xilla

Can't see Jim Carrey becoming Robotnik in the games tbh. He'd probably be a bit pricey (and has never really been known for reprising roles, Ace Ventura and Dumb & Dumber aside).

They'd probably have to bring in a soundalike (or preferably ask Mike Pollock to adjust his delivery to resemble Carrey's, something I'm sure he's more than capable of).

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm sure they'll keep the current cast for the inevitable game based on the hit movie.

9. Ben Schwartz will be the perfect voice for Sonic! For a likely-impending trainwreck, this movie sure has been cast well.

10. Speeps

Speeps

Oh yeah Ben Schwartz sounds like a great choice for Sonic's voice! I can't wait to hear how he plays him.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'm 9 times out of 10 mostly averse to having Sonic played by anyone other than the person who has been playing him most recently, but I can't say Ben Schwartz is a terrible actor. I mean, I found Jean Ralphio insufferable but that's kind of the point.

At the very least, none of the actors we've known for the past decade are going to have to deal with any "you were in that shitty movie" responses. Still, imagine if they put all the money for hiring hollywood famous people into making the movie animated and actually about Sonic stuff.

12. Ben Schwartz seems to be a really good choice for movie Sonic.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I can't wait for the rock to be cast for knuckles.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Or Vin Diesel

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It's just ridiculous to see this getting the all-star Hollywood treatment complete with big-name stars. Childhood me would have killed for something like this in the Genesis days.

If this does even moderately well as per Hollywood we could even see a sequel within two years of this one's theatrical release - which is just something I can't even fathom.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly listening to some Ben Schwartz voice clips, with the proper direction he could potentially be the best voice actor Sonic's ever had. Roger's voice is too deep, Drummond never had a good script or proper voice direction, and Griffith was... Griffith.

If it works out I wouldn't mind seeing Schwartz replace Roger.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Hey, now, he was actually pretty good by Unleashed. It takes time to undo 4Kids training.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Perhaps I'm being a bit hard on Griffith. You're right by Unleashed he was actually alright, same with Sonic and the Black Knight from what I've seen (I never played that game). I just never really liked the sound of the voice he used for Sonic. I'm not sure how to describe what felt off about his voice to me. Strange emphases on words here and there, he didn't really sound cool I guess and I felt like it didn't fit the character. Like Drummond I felt like fit with his California surfer esq attitude.

That being said I liked his take on Shadow once he got into the role more. I didn't care for his Jet voice because it was grating, but that's prob not his fault as much as it was whoever wanted to take Jet's voice in that direction.

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    More casting news and some more story details. The story is about Sonic "recovering his lost rings". It's also a road trip movie. I'm not joking.

Source: http://collider.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-adam-pally-neal-mcdonough

So I guess that explains the promotional image of "Sonic" transposed on a road leading in to the horizon then. It's because it is a road movie.

20. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The idea of Sonic the Hedgehog going on a road trip cross-country sounds like a Robot Chicken sketch. I don't know what has compelled them to take this direction in the slightest.