don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast High Quality/Saturn FMVs for PC

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ReadyLeady, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ReadyLeady

ReadyLeady

The Sonic 3D Blast PC original 1997 release is ported from the Saturn. It retained most of the asset and quality of them from the Saturn release, but one of the things they failed to retain was the FMVs. The video/audio was downscaled. Audio was 44100Hz, stereo from the Saturn release downscaled to 22050Hz, mono on the PC. Video is kinda fine but blocky compared to the Saturn version.

So, I present to you: Saturn FMVs for the PC !
    They were originally encoded using different codecs, video was encoded using DUCK and audio was encoded using Voxware. I re-encoded them to match the codecs of the PC version, and it worked fine in the game.

Downloads:

Saturn video and Saturn audio (recommended):
    Download (fmv_ss.zip)

PC video and Saturn audio:
    Download (fmv_ps.zip)

Installation:

Simply extract the files into PCSONIC\CDDATA and you're done !

Notes:

• Both version has some minor artifacts, this is the cinepak codec/original video's fault, not mine.
    • The Saturn video has some weird color flashing at near end. I haven't know the exact reason why, please let me know how I can fix this.

2. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Pretty cool. Now if only the Saturn Special Stages could be ported to the PC.

3. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Just tried downloading the zips, but the files won't extract. They just throw up an "unexpected error" handle. Tried both the PC and SS versions too.

4. ReadyLeady

ReadyLeady

They extracted fine for me. Try redownloading or use another archiver.

5. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Huh. Yep, using another extractor worked fine. Odd that they threw up errors at all, but whatever. Nice to finally have stereo sound for these.