don't click here

Untitled Sonic Construct 2 Project.

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by OssieTheOstrich, Aug 2, 2018.

1. LilacChips

LilacChips

A Sonic Fangame of some sort
    Wow, this is starting to shape up. Loving those new sprites, they look so clean! Though I have one minor issue so far, and that's on Tails. He's just going all over the place like a maniac. Do you plan on tweaking that soon?

2. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

something something bird guy something Member
    When you say "both", do you mean Multimedia/Clickteam Fusion and the source, or Zone map and graphics? (I have Multimedia and the source, but I'm unable to open it due to not having the X button thing.)

I might do the Sonic Boom callback because I'm more familiar with it.

Yes, but their hasn't been documentation on Tails's AI and how it's supposed to work.

3. Both the Zone map and graphics (worded it badly). If you don't want to deal with the extensions I can just rip this stuff for you.

4. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

[​IMG]
    Loops.

5. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

Ok, sure.

6. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

[​IMG]
    YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING
    (Ignore the ending, i thought i "stopped recording", but instead i "paused recording".)

7. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

Added the Super Peelout.
    [​IMG]

8. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

Made the Super Peelout Animation more like After the Sequel, and it works like how it did in Sonic CD.[​IMG]

why is anyone not talking about this?

9. PixelMonkey

PixelMonkey

I mean, there's not a lot new here. A drip feed of additions is nice, as far as seeing progress goes, but there's not a lot of discussion to be had yet because there's not a lot yet TO discuss. I'm still liking what I see but any comments I'd have on this clip would be the same as the last few: Looks good, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

10. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    In my opinion, it's best to wait until you have something more substantial/worthy of dicussion to show off. Should help to have something to actually discuss for each update rather than post every single change you make.

11. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

Showcasing the ability to change the Spin Dash and Super Peel Out to the Sonic 2 and CD versions.
    [​IMG]

12. winterhell

winterhell

27FPS and 30% CPU usage is worrysome. Ideally those numbers should be 10-100 times apart, and not practically equal.

13. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Suggestion: don't show off features that practically every fangame in existance has also implemented, and then expect rave feedback for it.

Maybe the reason some of us have been quiet is because of the 'if you have nothing positive to say, say nothing at all' mentality. I should know because I'm one of them. But I guess if you really want people to talk about your project then, well, here you go.

So far this project has done nothing but screamed 'laziness' to me: using Construct 2, using a premade physics engine, using other people's zones (and coming up with ridiculous excuses when called out for it, no less), and then the moment you actually do something yourself, you expect a pat on the back for it? And when you don't get that, you actually start complaining about it?

The only stand-out thing so far is the tiny sprites, and I'm not even sure if you made those yourself either. No offense, but to be brutally honest, this is nothing more to me than a lazy fan project with one vaguely original gimmick. Change my mind, and you'll probably start getting better feedback.

14. Flare

Flare

As as you go on making the game it will naturally slow down (when you start working on zones, or the initial excitement of making a game slows down for real life) so space things out, you don't need to show us the loops, or spin dash, or peel out until we see them in a zone preview. These are not special features per say so its all about what makes your game shine, not just replicating everything other fan games also do.

I do love the way that the Sonic revs up in After the Sequel but, I'd find a blend of "inspiration" and original. Nothing so far has been original apart from the cute sprites. Introduce a gimmick.

This also touches upon levels. I do like the idea of using fan games levels, but please, do so in an interesting way. Sonic Generations was so much fun because it was the old zones but in a new style. So posts like this:
    I think will cause you problems in the future. This does seem lazy, since your not putting thought into this, your just making us play other people's stages.

I'd love to see these zones presented in your way. This game's take on those zones. Do what Mania did where it referenced areas but take liberties (even then I'm sure some people wish they went even further!) You can do that, its a fan game you can be wild as you want! Like maybe it is Hilltop Heights but maybe its falling through the sky, so bits of debris are flying up and you can use some of that as platforms. Or maybe the rain causes water to rise. Or maybe you also reference another zone,(Mania did this a lot!) like Marble Zone and there are moments where jets of lava shoot up and you have to time jumps. There are like, endless things you could do while still referencing other fan game zones.

Maybe your game has a gimmick where you could change the time of day, morning, noon, night for example and you see zones transform. But if the game is just a copy and paste of other peoples games, to the point where visually it looks the same then thats just not going to be as fun or creative.

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I appreciate your commitment and work ethic but yeah to echo everyone else it'd be far better to hold off showing anything new until you have something substantial to show. Take Hez or example. The Sonic Classic 2 thread is only bumped by him when there's a major new feature or completely new near-final finished zone to show off.

It's cool you believe in this but even a few months off until you have more to show is a good idea. Wait until you have much more work done. Positive feedback will then happen naturally.

16. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

So, yeah.
    [​IMG]
    Decided to resurrect the project from the grave, just now my own original levels and not levels from ROM hacks or other fan-games.
    Here's the first level, Summer Shine, co-named by bennascar.

I have another level in my head right now, which is based off a scene in Shrek 2. It's like Wood Zone, but with a medieval factory mixed in.

17. Flare

Flare

Will there be level gimmicks, the art is a good start, but its nothing too special until we see cool elements, is there an idea what this level will actually bring to theme?

18. OssieTheOstrich

OssieTheOstrich

If you couldn't tell by the fact that i haven't made a update in months, the game is cancelled.

Working on a Mario project AND a Sonic project back to back wasn't very fun, and so I'm now going to work on the Mario project.

The project was doomed from the start though, due to the plugin being unfinished, so the project was going to be dead anyway.

The code used for the Sonic project will be still have use for me however, as I'm using it in second Mario-related project, which is a joke game.

(I also like to mention that i lost interest in the Sonic series a month ago.)

With that said, the mods can lock the thread now.

(Last minute thing i wanted to say: I'm going to put the sprites i used for the game on The Spriter's Resource or my deviantArt)

19. Jase

Jase

~~(_ _C^> Member
    Ay I mean, if you need any pointers with making Sonic's movement in Construct 2, I could give you a hand. The plugin you used is cool, it does do a large amount of the work, and I guess some might find the core Sonic movement the less fun part to make whilst gimmicks are fun, but believe me it can be fun when you have soo much control over your own collision unlike with a plugin. You mostly need some comprehension with how angles work (and how Construct 2 handles them), and you apply basic Trigonometry occasionally but it's so basic and probably less complicated than you might think.
    I saw your thread a while ago and was happy to see others using Construct 2 in a similar way I was. But I understand if your priority is set on a Mario project now.

20. SamNight

SamNight

[​IMG]
    Here's how to do slopes