don't click here

Sega Forever

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by High Fidelity, Jun 14, 2017.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah, thanks a million for this dude. So there's a surprise game release coming next week then. Awesome. This service still has ways to go but I still think conceptually it's fantastic and I am looking forward to expanding my retro-Sega game library on my phone. And yeah Vectorman was their last release and I completely misremembered there - so there's not that much of a gap between releases after all.

2. Saad

Saad

Morocco
    Being a nerd
    What could this be?
    https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/1024321623632105472

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Hope y'all like Sonic 4 Episode II.

4. Shaddix Leto Croft

Shaddix Leto Croft

Goodbye *Mwah* AND GOODNIGHT Member
    [media]https://youtu.be/UVmSIiYJMaQ?t=72[/media]

Sonic 4 Re-mastered by Taxman/Stealth of course!!!

But that Sonic 4 Metal Sonic gif just makes me uncomfortable now when Sonic 1, 2 & CD have had their SEGA Forever releases. Just leave Sonic 4 burning the trash m'kay SEGA.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I mean it's a worthless game being released for a worthless service, so in that sense it's a perfect relationship.

That and outside of diehard fans, putting that trash sequel up there for free is probably the only way they'd get people to play it nowadays.

(Emphasis on worthless--I found out with absolute joy last Friday that a. I couldn't play Sonic 1 offline and b. Sonic CD was able to be played offline but the game kept randomly pausing and cocking up my playthrough).

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean if they can update Episode 1 so Sonic's model no longer suffers from stanky animations that'd be nice.

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    speaking of which

remember when sonic 4 episode 1 got an update two years after its release that only inserted ads for other sega games and also accidentally nuked your save data

and then sonic 4: episode 2 got an update that also only inserted an ad for other sega games andĀ also caused the game to crash on older phones

sega forever likes to run ads on the service (even for games you paid for to specifically get rid of ads) and games on the service run like ass

so if you pair the three together, does that mean sonic 4: sega forever edition will outright fucking break your phone's OS

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ep II was good :colbert:

If this means they'll finally fix the Android version, I'll be all for it.

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I came here to sass after the tweet but I can't top this until after their next post. :v:

10. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Ha, I knew they'd get round to adding Sonic 4...eventually. Wonder if they'll release both episode 1 & 2 at the same time, because you can't play Episode Metal without having both episodes installed.

So, it's about time SEGA Forever added something Sonic related which wasn't already available on mobile. Knuckles Chaotix or 3D Blast (Saturn version) would be good choices, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

11. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think it would have been better to leave the Sonic 4 Episodes project as a forgotten memory particularly after Mania came out as the true sequel Sonic 3K never received.

Sega gonna Sega I guess. First game on the Sega Forever service I won't download. Hope whatever is coming next is more enticing. Wonder Boy for example.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... Some people are inevitably going to think that this is a new game and that 2D Sonic games got worse all of a sudden and aren't their cup of tea anymore. Bad move.

13. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Who remembers when people tried in viral and ARG marketing?

The cassette tapes? The cereal boxes? We haven't gotten anything clever in a while.

"We're listening"

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Oh not at all, it just means the game won't run.

Which means you can't play it.

So genuinely an enhanced Sonic 4 experience!

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic 4 Episode 2 is now available to download via Sega Forever. One change though, Episode Metal is apparently enabled by default regardless of whether you have Episode 1 or not. So that's neat I guess.

16. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Indeed it is:
    https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/1025045975134609408

Interesting that they appear to have skipped Ep1...

17. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    What a surprise, adverts are broken and purchases can't be restored.

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'm with ICEKnight in that this just isn't an intelligent move by Sega here particularly after Sonic Mania. If I were pushed to say something positive at least they've gone an elegant way of going about this - skipping the disaster that was Episode 1 entirely and just going with the remarkably much-improved and superior Episode 2. Would have preferred if something else more worthy got a port though.

The final Monster World game that was only ever released in Japan (Monster World IV) localised on Sega Forever would be an awesome game to be on there for example.

19. Shaddix Leto Croft

Shaddix Leto Croft

Goodbye *Mwah* AND GOODNIGHT Member
    [​IMG]
    So Danny who works at SEGA said the team at SEGA Europe having trouble updating Sonic 4 Episode 1 for SEGA Forever due to the reason above in the RadioSEGA Discord server and I'm sure how to respond to that really.

I quite like that this release of Episode II has the Metal Sonic part unlocked from the get go which really should've been like that in the first place as a nice extra rather than "Lol look remember Lock on Techology on Sonic 3 and Knuckles ? Well it's kinda like that except you need to own Episode 1!"

20. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah so Episode's 1 exclusion wasn't intentional then ruling out any wise decision making - they just couldn't port it because of the engine. I honestly do hope they read places like here (we have a Sega Forever staff member on the forum for example) because feedback is imperative to improve a service like this so do hope they're listening.