don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I'm all up for this. I felt he did a really good job providing more context to Forces with the prequel comics, and I'd really want to see how he handles a proper go at the games. Please SEGA, less Pontaff, more Flynn!

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    See, it's kind of a longshot getting him to straight-up be the series' writer, since the majority of the games are still written in Japanese first, but I feel like it should be way easier to at least get him around Pontac and Graff or, make Pontac and Graff themselves aware of him and why people want him, so at the very least they could take cues or advice.

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    That makes me think - Are Pontac and Graff contracted to work on the Sonic games? I sort of assume that Sega have the Wisps mentality with Pontaff. "People must have liked Colours because of <X>, let's make sure to use <X> in every game from now on!", so I was under the impression SEGA/Sonic Team make a choice each new project to bring them on, and it wouldn't be too hard for them to simply not use Pontaff in the future and hire someone else .

4. Speeps

Speeps

Maekawa was contracted for Black Knight, so it's not impossible to bring someone else in.
    I'd prefer him or Yoshimura even, but without sorting out the English side of things first that's not going to help much.

5. Sgt Jack V

Sgt Jack V

[​IMG]
    Whisper revealed yesterday at the Sonic panel at SDCC.
    Evan posted a higher quality version of the first model sheet on Twitter:
    [​IMG]
    P.S. I like my thots black

6. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
  7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Aw shit I missed #6?

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

Adam Bryce Thomas has been killing it with his art and issue #7 proves it.

He is becoming my favorite artist from the Archie/IDW pool.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    What's the bettings that Neo Metal Sonic's plot will see Knuckles leave the group to go back to defending the Master Emerald?

10. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I see Neo Metal analyzing everyone with his spy bots and gather more power, and use the master emerald to supercharge itself in the hope of eliminating Super Sonic; only to end up threatening space and time in the process of the battle.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    https://bumbleking.com/new-faq-sonic-the-hedgehog/

So Ian Flynn posted a short FAQ on Bumbleking. While obviously none of this is any big revelation we at least have the answers in one place for consistent reference. I will never not be disappointed by SEGA's decision to bar the "Classic" characters from the book indefinitely. Not only does it reinforce this whole dumb idea of Classic and Modern being separate Sonics from separate worlds (which just cheapens the character as a whole imo, but I digress), it's a waste of two characters who were well loved in the Archie book. I realise that this is being done for the oh so important reason of muh brand identity, which sure, Sonic has struggled with, but Mighty and Ray are definitely not factors in that really. Besides, since the book is set in a world only inspired by the games' canon, why limit Ian like this? I would've loved to be able to see Ian work in Sonic Mania's locales and show Sonic's history as a continuous one as it should be, but nope, the moronic insistence on having Sonic and Sonic not be the same Sonic must pervade into even the books as well. //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/colbert.png

12. I for one applaud Sega's decision to keep this specific comic modern-only. Archie's world got too cluttered, and the focus was constantly shifting. So far this has had a pretty concise plot, which would be bogged down if they introduced Classic iterations of characters, or Classic-only characters.

Who knows, maybe if the popularity of this comic grows then IDW will launch a Classic series.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's not a dumb idea, it's the only logical explanation to why they both look so different...

Different universes/dimensions with similar timelines that differ in certain things like the Sonic CD events (as in, the game we played vs. the Sonic Adventure flashback and whatever Sonic 4 Episode 2 did with Little Planet and any related stuff). Worked in Marvel and TMNT, works fine in Sonic too.

14. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    The main concern is that mean that C\characters like the Hooligans or Mighty/Ray will never be modernize in any way; Iizuka confirmed that those characters were Classic Exclusive, along with the recently introduced Hard Boiled Heavies.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, yeah, it sucks and it's kinda weird to limit the writers like that, with no possibility of even creating modern redesigns... But I was just replying to the concept of "different dimensions = dumb".

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well it works both ways. We'll never see a classic Shadow or Silver either.

I think the split is fine. Its disappointing that we won't see Mighty, Ray, or the hooligans here (although the hooligans were name dropped early on oddly enough), but since Generations and especially after the failure of Boom, Sega's seeing the merit of a classic branch. I'd much rather a classic/modern split than a modern/boom split anyway. And after Mania Plus I don't think we've seen the last of Mighty and Ray.

Not only that but the split prevents both sides from becoming too bloated. With exclusive characters to the comic and the modern cast there's definitely enough characters in play that we don't need Mighty and Ray. And their absence makes sense in a way. If the lore of this comic pre 1st issue is just Adventure through Forces, where the hell would Mighty and Ray fit?

17. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Sonic has NEVER had a problem with brand identity. He's had a problem with product quality. Everyone knows what Sonic is and what he's about. It is his reputation for bad to subpar games that drag him down.

See Ken Penders. I could mention other things but after that mess, you're lucky to get a comic at all (and considering how bad IDW is doing, this new incarnation may not last long).

There would be some merit in this if you weren't talking about the comic. The comic is only a reflection of the franchise and in this case, you should place the blame on Sonic Forces. That said, NO, we don't need a writer going about unchecked in a licensed tie in. The previous archie canon had a bleeding multiverse, alternative timelines, Jesus the Echidna, and a stupid soft reboot wave because Sega and Archie didn't keep their writers in check. You can be disappointed by Sega's decision to split the brand between Classic and Modern but in this specific case (i.e. the comic), there is a DAMN good reason to keep Ian on a short leash.

18. Pengi

Pengi

Agreed.

It also explains away why there was a Death Egg II in STF (Classic) and a Death Egg mk.II in Sonic 4: Episode II (Modern), why Vector, Espio and Charmy's character traits changed from Chaotix to Sonic Heroes, why Espio and Amy didn't know each other in Heroes, why Charmy didn't know Eggman in Heroes, why Amy, Knuckles, Espio and Vector's ages changed from the classic games to the modern games, why the Master Emerald has two different shrines, and so on.

This is a big part of it too. The "Modern Sonic" brand has a large set of exclusive characters. With the decision to continue "Classic Sonic" as its own sub-brand (as it has been in merchandise/licensing for many years now), it makes sense for it to also have its own exclusive characters, which gives it a bit more of its own identity. Now if we could only get some Fang merch...

19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Modern Sonic in of itself is a tonal clusterfuck. There is plenty to smooth over and expand upon just from Adventure onwards. Modern is also having a mediocre stretch of games, so making Modern more interesting should be a priority. If IDW Sonic does that well, it's a good footing to start with.

20. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Well at least this explains the "Sonic from another Dimension" thing in Forces.

Well at least Ian Flynn and IDW have the rights to at least mention the classic characters in the most vaguest way possible.