don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just spikes and projectiles, I think? I mean, he's not invulnerable to the GHZ1 miniboss attack, for example.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Is 20 the maximum continue count for a save file? I spent far too long on an infinite loop in a bonus stage with Ray trying to max it out...

3. celebi23

celebi23

I was wondering if anyone had scans of the reversible Genesis cover? I got the game on Steam so, I'm missing out on it.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I wish Sega had done a digital version of the art-book (even if they charged extra for it).

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I guess the logic now is there's more than enough characters to choose from?

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Eurogamer held an interview with Mania's development team (generally with Whitehead, but comments from Fry and Flick are also there) about the production of the game: Unbottling Sonic's secret sauce: the making of Sonic Mania.

Lots of good stuff, but here's probably the biggest thing to note as it pertains to the future:

Hmm...

Meanwhile, the release of Mania Plus/Encore DLC gave the original Mania a notable boost on the Nintendo eShop Switch charts this week. Mania jumped from #23 (last week) to #11 on the Download-Only games list; and --for the first time since March-- resurfaced on the "All Games" list at #23.

We'll see how Plus' retail release performed on its opening week in Japan and Europe when Media Create Sales and PAL Charts surface in a few days...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ok, I just had to go buy a physical copy of this. Less than €30 for such a great game, that cute book, and the great packaging is just too good to give it a pass.

Does it count as a "system seller" when there's people who get it way before they can afford the system it's for? :v:

8. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I don't see why not, I bought Mania PS4 and I still don't have a PS4 yet =P

+ - Don't have nor want an Xbone either  

9. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    A 3D Classic Sonic game would be interesting. Take Classic Sonic's physics from Generations, give him full 3D control, and fix the spindash breaking the game, and I could see it working a bit.
    However, I'm not exactly sure how well a 3D Classic Sonic game would be received...

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Take Classic Sonic's physics from *Sonic Utopia :)/>

As good as they are in Generations in comparison to Forces (I assume), I'm sure there are far better examples of classic physics than Generations (it relied on scripted air arcs etc).

11. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Super interesting interview - thanks Yeow for alerting us to it. Some very strong hints from Christian there though only referring to his desire and willingness to work on a potential 3D Sonic game which is obviously a far cry from Sega actually agreeing to it. Though he could be hinting quite strongly at the future there. It'd be beyond interesting if such a game ever gets the green light from Sega given his and Team Mania's proven talents. I would hope we get at least one more 2D Classic game from him and his team before it happens though. Hoping that Plus performs well over the coming weeks to send a strong enough signal to Sega - that is if Mania's resounding critical and commercial performance hasn't convinced them when hopefully it already has.

I'm also hoping we get some kind of confirmation on what's coming next (this potential 3D project? Mania 2?) before 2018 draws to a close.

12. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Sounds to me like you guys are missing that the "3d" he's talking about isn't Sonic.

Rather this seems like a shift into his own new IP/pet project which given he's worked on Sonic for years and programmed the Engine for Freedom Planet 2, yeah it's about time to move on.

13. corneliab

corneliab

Yeah, I'm also not seeing why people are just assuming he's alluding to 3D Sonic. He specifically mentions in the interview that he's talking about 3D gaming in general and that he's personally fiddled around with the Retro Engine for non-Sonic 3D stuff (whatever that may be).

Figuring out 3D Sonic sounds like a huge mess- I'd be surprised if he's (professionally) interested in that. I'd be even more surprised if Sega would give him meaningful control over something like that.

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Why not both 3D and a Sonic Team property? :specialed:

15. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    I would disagree with that sentiment. "3d Sonic" itself isn't a huge mess, there just isn't a game where we can point at and go "There! That's the baseline!". The fact that everyone seems to be fighting over where to start is enough for me to say none of them are good enough. Meanwhile mario can pull this shit.
    http://i.redd.it/09ccoeev7t9y.png

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Say... is the silhouette in the stormy concept art of pages 14-15 supposed to be the Titanic Monarch? Cause it looks a bit different.

EDIT: Also... was the mockup in page 7 used to pitch Sonic Discovery or am I remembering wrong? I wish the booklet was a bit less vague with the descriptions...

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Here we go. (Originally posted in the Way Past Cool panel thread, I originally intended to post this here but I messed up.)

Mania Plus debuted at #5 in the UK charts last week (behind Crash N-Sane [1], Lego Incredibles [2], Sea of Thieves [3], and Minecraft [4]) in the All Format (Units) charts.

Split between platform differences was 52% for Switch, 34% for PS4, 15% on Xbox One. (52+34+15=101?????)

Concerning platform-specific charts, Mania Plus was #2 on the UK's Top 20 Switch charts (beaten only by MK8 Deluxe), #4 on Top 20 PS4 charts, and #12 title on Top 20 XBO charts.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    A good solid start - now we see how well it holds it.

19. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah if Taxman (or anyone else) were to take on a 3D Sonic game, I'd want them to start from scratch with their own engine and concept, not just mindlessly try and ape Sonic Adventure or Unleashed or something. I don't even think those games are bad, it's just that like you said there hasn't been any game with an easy template they can build from.

Sega themselves seems to realize this because every other 3D Sonic seems to totally reinvent the formula anyway.

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I see what you mean dude - but I re-read the interview again including Christian's comments and he's directly answering a specific interviewer's question about him potentially working on a 3D Sonic game. I'm confident when he says "I'd be down for it" he's specifically addressing the idea of him working on 3D Sonic. He even jokes about it later referencing Burning Rangers instead. The rest of the text - yeah he's completely talking in general about his side-work on 3D in games which infers his own original project. But he's also directly responding to an interviewer's question regarding him working on 3D Sonic. Unless this is just major reading comprehension fail and I'm getting this completely wrong. That's my take on it at least.

Regarding Plus' sales performance - quote the excellent start. Performing strongly and slightly better than I thought it would. Hopefully Yeow's right and the game will be a continual seller.