don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Harmony Friends, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Axanery

Axanery

It is the original composition, but of course they changed it up a little bit to match Mania.

2. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

It's a rendition/arrangement of the original composition. Meaning they recreated it with different instrumentation. (I ain't a musician, but it certainly sounds like most if not all the instruments are different from the original.)

Listen to the original track here, and then the version in "Mania" here. Similar but very different sounding--the difference mainly being from the different instruments used. Like all the other non-original music in "Mania."

(When I say different instruments what I mean is that they are not using the identical make and model of instruments as the original composers did when they made the songs. The "Mania" musicians might be using the same *type* of instrument for many parts of the music in "Mania," but my guess is for 99% of it they did not have access to/knowledge of the precise 100% identical make and model of instruments used when the songs were originally created.)

A lot of the Act 2 songs and music based on "Sonic CD" in "Mania" get referred to as remixes because in addition to the different instrumentation they also alter and deviate from the original compositions in more dramatic ways. Chemical Plant Zone Act 1 is a rendition, whereas Act 2 is a remix. But Metallic Madness Act 1 and 2 are both remixes. And Hydrocity Act 1 and Act 2 are both renditions. It's kinda confusing but essentially yes all the non-original music in "Mania" is based on the original compositions, but the tracks in "Mania" are either renditions or remixes of those original compositions.

Oh and just to try to further clarify what I was talking about regarding "Angel Island Act 1" in "Mania" is that Tee did the rendition work for the first 14 seconds of the song, and Axanery is claiming Falk did the rendition work for the remaining 51 seconds. (Though I haven't seen official confirmation of that being the case; don't know what Axanery's source is on that.) And to me that seems super impressive/hard to do--for a completely different musician to seamlessly do the rest of the rendition work for the song and not have it sound stylistically different from the first 14 seconds done by another musician.

Anyway, again, great work by Falk. "Double Take" and "Trap Tower" are both real good--"Double Take" is one of my favorite songs of the year so far, video game or otherwise.

3. Falk

Falk

guys its ok i can see how there could be an automatic subconscious association with 'trap' and 'hunter'

4. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Insert obligatory Ackbar "it's a trap!" jpeg but with Hunter's face Photoshopped in.

5. corneliab

corneliab

lmao

I'm addicted to that Trap Tower remix. Thanks dude.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You can remove them using a hair dryer. There's either a plastic surface or varnish above the metallic lamicoat so the glue won't damage the box at all :)
    t

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  8. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Regarding that, as I don't see it posted here, Axanery managed to find something called "Vape Mode" in the game exe. Codenamegamma went look into it, and... well...

It seems that a cheat code would let you play the game with the music slowed down. Studiopolis never sounded so VAPE SMOOTH.

9. Axanery

Axanery

You are correct, I did an entire livestream through Encore Mode with it tonight. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq-pLcYWtMo (the last 2 hours show right now, but the first 52 minutes should pop up soon.

Every song is played at 0.75 speed (33075 hz rather than 44100). I really liked some of the tracks, specificaly AIZ, FBZ1, and MMZ.

CNG's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBbUakF1sbY
    Vape (short for Vaporwave) mode was for Encore but it was cut because of compatibility issues with consoles.

Everyone should be able to play next week.

10. corneliab

corneliab

Wait, what? These level select effects are all awesome. This is nuts. Super buzzed for "no super music" in particular.

EDIT: Egg Reverie flying in levels? Sonic with all unlockable abilities simultaneously? Holy shit!

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I really love the way the Speed-Up music and Metallic Madness acts sound. It's even more bizarre to turn the video speed to 1.25, as it brings the songs to normal speed, but keeps the changed pitched.

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, the cheat-codes are very cool:

I've tried them and they all work. I really like the Max Control & Disable Super Music. You can tell Team Mania listened to fans because when Mania was first released a lot of fans requested max control and to go Super Sonic without the super music.

I've been trying to figure out for what the two unknown codes activate. I've checked and neither restores the original spike-wall Metal Sonic boss in Stardust Speedway. They also don't enable to a Super form cancelation button.

Hmm...

13. Oh hey! I managed to get those nasty stickers off my box using the hairdryer method. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

By the way, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the new version adds a little splashing effect when you're jumping up the oil streams in Oil Ocean Act 2. I thought that was a neat little touch.

Also, let's make things awkward:
    I regret wording things the way I did now. Not because I'm slow and didn't realize the composer for the new tracks posts here, but because it sounds like I was comparing Falk to Tee when it comes to skill and quality. I wanna make it absolutely clear that this isn't what I was going for, as not only would that be completely rude, but it would also be incredibly unfair, given that Tee composed the bulk of the soundtrack while Falk only had a hand in a few tracks.

It's worth noting that I felt the same way about parts of the original soundtrack, with the majority of it sounding great but some stuff sounding out of place to me (such as the guitar in Lava Reef Act 2, which I still can't get behind). Again, I don't think any of this stuff is "bad", just "unfitting" (and even that is obviously subjective). I don't know if this makes me sound less or more like an ass, but I needed to at least get this through to Falk, and like I said, I do love Angel Island and Trap Tower, the latter of which has been stuck in my head FOR THE LAST SEVEN DAYS JESUS.

tl;dr I'm not good with words lol i'll show myself out

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Sound test cheats? now that's a cool throwback and some nice options there.

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    One thing that somewhat seems to bother me is that they still didn't bother to give Egg Reverie Zone its own level select icon in this, it's still the Death Egg icon.

They made an icon for the pinball stage, so why did they not bother with ERZ?

It's not something that ruins the whole game by the way. I just think it should have been fixed.

16. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Did anyone on the team actually confirm that to you? I'm skeptical about that being the actual reason, because don't all versions of the game still use OGM audio like the previous remasters? It seems like they would be decoding it first then passing the raw PCM stream to the hardware giving them the option to do whatever they want with it in the meantime. Sorry if I missed something, I'm just doubting this as a hardware specific problem because so much stuff is handled internally by the engine.

17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I can't seem to get the no super music cheat to work, the others seem fine though and all 3 skills together is really fun.

18. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    The Force Encore Mode code, despite having no evidence to say for or against it I would wager that perhaps that code was the intended or preferred release date that the team wanted to release the update.

The two unknown codes at the bottom I'd say are probably birthdays. Without looking in to it my first guess would be Stealth's and Taxman's but in actuality it could be anyone on the dev team.

19. Axanery

Axanery

1989/5/1 is Hunter's birthday.

20. I figured out at least part of what the two unknown cheats found by Codenamegamma do. If you input them both like this:

3 3 3 1 9 7 9 0 8 1 1
    1 9 8 9 0 5 0 1

All the animal friends turn into Ricky. Not sure if that's all that happens, though. I wonder if there's some special significance behind it.

Edit:
    [youtube]http://youtu.be/yoVfImJ9CEs[/youtube]