don't click here

How Sonic Could be Handled in 3D

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by ForGloryKing, Jun 28, 2018.

1. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    A design document on a Sonic fangame currently worked on by: ForGloryKing and . . .
    My link

This is just a small post showing a design document that I'm currently working on. I gathered a lot of inspiration from ShayMay and his video series Sonic Spitball. You'll see lots of similar things looking at the two, but there is still lots of original things in the link.

As for something that is not in the Google Sheet, I had an idea for the visual style and graphics. So, we all know how great Tyson Hesse's drawings, comics, and animations are. The Toei Sonic design just looks great. What if, in this game, it would look like you were playing something animated by him. Separated shading and realistic lighting could be achieved with cell shaders, and outlines could be achieved, well, however Dragon Ball FighterZ did it. This would apply for the environments and badniks as well. The cutscenes could possibly be [2D] animated and would seamlessly transition into gameplay on the cutscenes that need it. Also, as a side thing, no diolauge or voice acting. It always comes off as really awkward, and time should be spent on making a polished game, not an unfun and unfinished one with voice acting. Although Rayman 2 has speech, it was handled with subtitles and the characters spoke gibberish. That is if you are playing the Dreamcast or N64 versions. The PlayStation 1 version as voice acting, but half the game was taken out, and it looks like horsecrap. This is just one example of how voice acting can ruin a game. Also no humans or animal townspeople. Humans never fit in when a cartoon hedgehog was running around, and the animal townspeople of Sonic Boom and Sonic Forces never sat right with me, and probably many others. So that's all my ideas so far. I have a link to the Google Slide above all of this, and the Sonic Spitball series is really enjoyable, so I suggest that you all watch it.

Edit: It is much more convenient to just download Google Slide if you are on a mobile device. Computers don't have to worry. Also, I don't know if I have edit on for people looking at it, so if you can edit it, please don't. Though feel free to give all of the feedback you want.

2. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    A design document on a Sonic fangame currently worked on by: ForGloryKing and . . .
    My link

This will be a brief part explaining all of the zones. Let's get started! (I made all of the names have alliteration. I think it's pretty neat)

Tropical Trouble: This is the trademark starting tropical island zone. Though to give off a more islandy feel, palm trees are replaced with coconut trees and the 2nd act has the secondary theme of beachiness. The coconut trees drop coconuts, and badnik: Coconuts, randomly pops out of some to throw them at you. A new form of the Orbinaut: The Coconut Orbinaut, throws coconuts at you, but you can jump off them, making them crack open and ooze out on the ground. You can even stylishly hop off of the coconuts sequentially to land on the badnik's head. The coconuts act like little flying motobugs in their damage type. You can destroy them with just a jump, but if you are standing still or running, it can still damage you. If you read the 5 Damage Types section in the Google Sheet above, you'll know this as Type 2 Damage. There will also be sections of water to aquaplane on in act 2. Thick leaves, similar to what's in Aquatic Ruin, would be present as well. While in them, you are invincible to all damage, just like in Sonic 2.

Coral Cavern: This level is a cave/underground sorta thing. Breakable walls similar to Lava Reef are present, but different to Lava Reef is rocky water slides, waterfalls, and large open areas of water. Traversing this will be fun because of Sonic's new drill swim ability, but that's a topic for another day. Secret passages and Giant Ring Special Stage entrances can be found in the abundant coral. Large coral structures can be found in the water. By aquaplaning across some expanses of water, secrets can be found as well. I haven't done much on this zone yet, so I'll edit this later on. (Just found out that there was a level by the name of Coral Cavern in Sonic Rush Adventure. Off by a few letters)

Arctic Anarchy: This is the first level I came up with when I was thinking of designing a fangame. Although not very inspired, I shoved in a ancient ruins in it to give it a bit more pizazz. In this zone, evergreen trees are dotted about, coated in snow. The ground, similar to the trees, is also coated in snow. What's different is that small clumps of snow are placed all around the place. These slow Sonic down to a crawl if he steps in them, but they're pretty easy to avoid if you just look ahead. Frozen spikes form Sonic Mania's Press Garden return with the same mechanics. All of the springs are caked with snow so that you have to do a short hop on the snow before landing on the spring. Look at Sonic 3D Blast for how it would work. Like Coral Cavern, I still haven't done much with this zone, so this is it for now.

This is just the 1st part of Part 2. I'll make 3 other parts listing the other zones soon enough.

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    While I understand you have to do a careful planning before start working on the game itself just to not waste time and effort doing something and remaking it later, trying to put your ideas into action and make a demo out of them would be much better than just doing some wishful thinking; otherwise, everyone of us can have an opinion about that and put it here, but doing that wouldn't be really useful because it would still be like doing nothing at all. Specially if there's no engine design, visuals are important but Sonic has a bigger need for 3D engines.

Oh, and people here don't allow for this kind of posts or topics, so I'd suggest not doing this again and editing the content of your post to fit better under forum rules in case that's possible.

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I just posted in your other thread giving you some advice, but there's another advice I can give you here: don't do to separate topics for the same fangame project, specially when there's nothing in this new post that couldn't have gone along the content of the other one. Besides that, what I said on the other topic can be applied to this one as well; to put you an example, I have a couple of dozens of projects in mind, tons of levels imagined for them, but you won't be seeing any posts for the here as I haven't started developing them into something real. Please, don't do this a third time.

5. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    Thanks for the insight! I was just about to post a Part 2.25! I'll make sure to compile the rest of my stuff into that topic.

6. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    The entirety of your post has nothing to do with Sonic gameplay in 3D. Nothing is even 3D specific. You talked entirely about art style, voice acting, story and setting. How does this have anything to do with handling Sonic in 3D.
    Oh, I see this is "Part 1: Art Style and Graphics", but none of this is relevant. It doesn't describe how this relates to or benefits Sonic as a 3D game. So this whole part is pointless.

I'll check the other thread then, but this should've been one thread.

7. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    Problem is, I have no programming knowledge, so the best I can do is a design document. I'll just not post this kind of thing again if it's breaking the rules. I'll keep editing the Google Sheet though. Also, how does this not comply to the rules. I'd really like to know.

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    First of all I'm not going to request access to your Google doc. Make it public if you want me to read it.
    So I'm going to go on what you're posting.

Okay, none of this addresses gameplay in 3D either. You are roughly describing levels and gimmicks without establishing any gameplay or giving any context. All of this could just as easily apply to a 2D game. It could even apply to game that isn't Sonic at all, ignoring Sonic terminology like "rings" and "badniks" which alone isn't describing a Sonic game (interchangeable with collectibles, enemies, etc).
    How can someone possibly imagine what these levels are like if there's nothing established about how the game plays? None of this makes any sense. Presumably you're picturing some kind of platformer but your communication of the idea is baseless and incoherent. You said you watched Sonic Spitball? Did you not notice that ShayMay carefully established basic controls and mechanics to create an idea of how the game plays, then got into level ideas where these concepts are built upon? Or are we just supposed to assume your game is what he came up with, given you mentioned the drill swim ability. But in which case, your level descriptions are not building off anything from his concepts, and you're not presenting your own idea or anything new.

9. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    The two posts I made demonstrated non-gameplay elements. I said Badnik in the Tropical Trouble section, and I do give access to the Google Sheet. I've made it fully public. If you had more patience, you could maybe wait for me post a new part. Though I'm not doing this anymore because it's apparently not following forum rules according to HedgeHayes. If you want to critique my post, that's great! But please critique on what is in the post, not what could be in something in the future.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    [​IMG]

Your doc is not fully public. It is requesting access.

Your post is functionally unable to be critiqued. There is no context for this game or how it plays, and thus the ideas given for these levels have no basis to be judged. This goes back to what I just said. Your ideas are incoherent and without context. I have no way to tell what good any of these ideas are or how they would manifest in a game.

11. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    Sorry about the inconvenience, I'll fix it up right away! Does it work now?

12. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Nope.

13. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    Sorry. I'm not posting anymore, so it's not like it matters. Though can you please give real critique on the content that I posted rather than what I was going to cover later. And please be more civil about it this time.

14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I was completely civil. I just explained to you why it cannot be critiqued.

15. ForGloryKing

ForGloryKing

Crime Alley
    My problem is that you critiqued things that I was going to get around to. If you were to actually give insight of what I had posted, instead of saying that it does not protain to 3D Sonic, I may have made a part explaining the gameplay. Please be more patient in the future. If you want to critique something you should critique what's there. Also, you said that I'm not bringing anything new to the table, even though he did not go through the same levels excluding Coral Cavern. I had all 12 in the Google Sheet if it could work. The art style was also new. If I was to talk about the mechanics and moves, I would simply be relaying what ShayMay said, which against the community guidelines.

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I'm going to explain this one more time. The content of your post cannot be critiqued because there is no context for any of these ideas. There is no basis upon which to critique them. There is no context for the gameplay, so there's no way to determine how these ideas work, so there's no way to judge or critique these ideas. Do you understand?

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
  18. winterhell

winterhell

Many would disagree, but for a game designer its important to have at least a rudimentary understanding of programming. That way they can tell what can be done and even how much effort it would take. Otherwise you might start using vague wording that sounds cool on paper but when the actual implementation of the Game Design Document begins, people would be scratching their heads and will interpret it in a different way than you've imagined.

19. winterhell

winterhell

Sure, the moment you post screenshots and videos of the game, you'll be able to receive critique.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There was no need for this to be two threads. Merged.

Also, given these are locked Google Docs that aren't visible without being signed in, I'm not sure why I should leave this thread open...