don't click here

DigitalFoundry Retro: possible Sonic 1 beta location

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    https://youtu.be/1DkJoIsdVm0?t=13m19s

watch from 13 minutes in, very interesting about previews for games back in the magazine print days but this part took me by surprise and I instantly felt like bringing it here. The person talking about it is Richard Leadbetter who has worked on magazines and now digitalfoundry for a long time.

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    drx and i have been looking into this for years. we know the situation regarding this very well.

please don't look into this any further. this is just going to cause us a big headache.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Good to know others know about it well then.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    This please.

5. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Thanks for posting it though, I was watching the interview this morning and the first thing I did when I reached that part of the video was came here.

Edit: Is there anything we can do to help with this, like donating money? Or is this purely you're waiting on the guy that Richard mentioned?

6. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I did wonder for a little if I should post the video here but felt that doing so was better then just ignoring it, just in case.

It's a rather nice look into how publishing was back in the early 90's, as someone who grew up reading a good half of those magazines leadbetter worked on, it's rather cool to see him still doing great stuff now as I love digital foundry.

7. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

^Yeah, as Diablohead just said, good conversation to listen to regardless of the known "Sonic 1" beta anecdote. Linneman also did a great DF Retro episode about "Sonic CD" recently, if anyone somehow hasn't seen it yet. Richard and John are knowledgeable, affable, and do great work.

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Warms my heart to hear the DF Retro guys actually talk about Sonic with some knowledge and experience. Their Mania review was spot-on as well.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    It's not about money unfortunately. Believe me, I tried. It's more a matter of when than how. As ehw said we've been on top of this for many years, it's a sad situation.

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Good to see Leadbetter has humbled with age. Couldn't stand his ego during the Sega Saturn Magazine days; whether in jest or not, his referring to himself continually as 'The Master' and/or the weird semi-RP of Doctor Doom on occasion really made me cringe.

And I was a teenager myself at the time, which says something.

Notwithstanding, he always put out really good content; I pretty much favoured anything he or fellow Mean Machines Sega alumnus Paul Glancey put out. Good work.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Even back then you could tell SSM did their homework. There's interviews in there talking about technical gubbins waaaaaay before anyone gave the slightest damn about frame rates and pixel counts (or so they say).

Most UK gaming magazines stem from ideas put forward by CVG in the 80s, and things like Crash or Zzap64 (and then they were forced to up their game a bit when Edge showed up). They get a bit self-indlugent, but they are, at the very least, fans of video games. For truly terrible reading you need to go overseas - it can take 12-15 pages to get to the contents page of mid-90s GamePro thanks to all the adverts... and even then, it still reads like an advert.

12. Was a real trip watching this vid, cheers for posting. Loved CVG and Sega Saturn Mag (Mean Machines Sega was probably my fav at the time)

Never did care for Edge that much, found it a bit lacking in the fun department, although I was teenager. Still bought it though because it was stuffed with info you couldn't get anywhere else.

As for the S1 proto, I guess only time will tell... I stay hopefull

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I was an avid reader of CVG (back when it was referred to as C&VG, with the ampersand!) since the late '80s through to the mid-late '90s and still saw them blazing an exciting trail -- their yellow-paper 'Freeplay' pull-out containing the kind of hardcore material I craved from publications back then (and, if I'm honest, still do) that did seem to pave the way for the ill-fated Maximum. Sadly, gaming breaking the mainstream took it all the other way into the more casual -- to me, the main reason Maximum wasn't destined for the greatness it deserved.

I very often wonder of an alternate timeline where the more-enthusiastic side won out on the larger scale. + - And if it exists, how to get the fuck over there.  

14. That yellow paper section was awesome!! Forgot about that

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Damn right! Highscores, strategy guides (including, reportedly, almost enough Tekken 3 to get Paul Davies fired. Almost.) and the ever-entertaining "DROORINZ WOT U DUN" section, hosted by Hunter the Dog (himself a jagged, low-effort vector abomination). I still refer to one particular drawing in that latter section; a hilarious (possibly unintentionally) Sagat from Street Fighter Alpha saying to himself "JA, I LIKE KILLING PEOPLE". Oh, the memories.

Might be purposely trying to keep the subject away from chasing that proto, mind... :P

16. Haha oh yes the drawing section - drawinz wot u done - funny shit. I almost submitted a picture of link but didn't want them to crap on it haha. Something charming about seeing barely visible screenshots on black & yellow print.

Anyway, yes we are veering this thread off topic so that's enough of that :v:

17. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    So, Somewhere out there in someones storage sits a prototype of Sonic 1.......Thats amazing and depressing at the same time.

18. Fadaway

Fadaway

“For every mystery, there is someone, somewhere, who knows the truth. Perhaps that someone is watching. Perhaps....it's you!”

It'll turn up eventually. =P

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Does he know for a fact that it's thee Sonic 1 beta that was scraped and not a early version of the official release?

20. I see it as hopeful, I'm guessing allot of us thought that was it for discovering new S1 protos. At least it's out there...

I'm assuming this will be one with a possible working Sonic on a ball in Green Hill, someone correct me if I'm wrong.