don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
  2. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I fully expect a Mario mod over Ray now.

3. I totally understand, for me the issue stems from the fact that there's probably a lot of conversation about the trailer going on in the other thread, and I'm missing it by limiting myself to this one. It's really a lose-lose no matter what, so I'll lay my qualms to rest and move on.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Bah, it's coming out three days before my wedding. Hopefully I'll be able to make some time for it. I might have to wait another week or so before I'll be able to play it.

5. Deef

Deef

Damn, that price point for consoles is ridiculous.

Are they expecting people who didn't buy Mania already to now get more interested in a higher cost?
    Or are they targeting people who _did_ already buy Mania; thinking it's cool to charge them again, and more.

I don't think it should have a higher cost than Mania at all. Sure they put the work into the changes (and personally I support them all the way and will likely buy 2 copies, again), but the "new" release is payment for that. Upping the cost needs a lot more new content than the scale Mania Plus is talking about.

As it is, Mania Plus's main competition is going to be Mania. And Mania is the better deal. So again, who are they expecting to buy Plus?

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Well, I don't know if you knew it already but you can upgrade to Mania Plus for 5 bucks if you already own the base version.
    The higher price is only for the physical version, which also include some goodies, that seems like a good deal to me.

Thought I wonder how much Mania Plus is going to cost digitally... it would be weird to charge 30$ for it when you can buy vanilla Mania for 20 and then upgrade for 5.

Maybe you won't even be able to buy Plus digitally, or maybe it'll cost 25$, who know :v:/>

7. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    That reminds me, how's save data going to work regarding digital/physical versions? Mostly thinking PSN.

If I have regular (digital) Mania save data and I put a physical Plus disc into my system, will the new physical game look for the old Mania save data? - or would I have to upgrade my digital mania for that?
    Not had much experience crossing over physical/digital with this sort of thing.

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Too lazy to search for the source, but I think Aaron said in a stream that the save data will carry over if you buy the physical edition and already have the digital one installed.

Mania mode and Encore mode will probably have different save slots if I had to guess

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    So much salt.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'll be flinging money into the physical edition because this is one thing SEGA deserve my money for.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The physical edition exists for diehards like us and those who missed out because the game was exclusively digital, like kids. I think it's a fair price point. It comes with extra goodies, the game has some good replay value, and it's still $10 cheaper than forces. What's the problem?

How is this any worse than back when they released Sonic & Knuckles back in the day for like $60 and called it a new game when it was essentially Sonic 3 Plus that you could play on your own? Could you imagine if you had to lock on this with Mania? Like plus was just encore mode, Sonic, Mighty, and Ray and you had to pay $20 for both this and Mania?

11. Deef

Deef

I admit, I had forgotten about the extra goodies and thus that the digital copy will likely be a different price.
    Do we know if all platforms get the upgrade option? Or just PC?

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

I believe all platforms got confirmed

That's probably gonna be solid £4.99 UK price as well...

13. Deef

Deef

Cheers Sir_mihael. Sorry to stir the bees nest everyone. :v:

14. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Almost assuredly, there won't be a "digital version of Plus" as a standalone package. If you want Mania Plus digitally, you buy Sonic Mania, then the Plus DLC.
    That's basically how it works for the vast majority of games that get a packaged version that includes DLC, like "game of the year editions" and the like.

15. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Well, after seeing the alternate Japanese cover and the bonuses packed with it, I've cancelled my Amazon UK pre-order and will contacting my "Man in Japan".

16. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Only exception I can recall to this is the various versions of Super Street Fighter IV (Super > Arcade Edition > Ultra). Whilst you could just buy the upgrade DLC for your previous version, or you also had the option to download the full game as well - for example Ultra SF4 and Arcade Edition are both seperately priced full games on PSN, despite one being an upgrade of the other.

So there's still a chance 'Mania Plus' and 'Mania' may be listed as seperate full games, although unlikely.

17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    https://mynintendonews.com/2018/04/28/sonic-team-boss-explains-why-they-decided-to-add-ray-and-mighty-to-sonic-mania-plus/

Famtisu interviewed Iizuka and asked about Mighty and Ray, specifically why they were added, and why they have the moves they have.

On why they were added, tl;dr: Iizuka considered them characters that would never be planned to be added to any games, but considering Sonic Mania's premise and the fact that everyone wanted Mighty and Ray to appear in a game, he thought that he might as well add them.

Also, Iizuka also gives some extra info on Mighty and Ray's abilities, saying that, in addition to Mighty's stomp, he can also repel bullets with his shell and prevent damage once while curled up, and that Ray can fly for very long if the player's good enough.

18. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

This is an interesting one. Was Mighty's 'strength' ever depicted in-game in either of his previous appearances? As far as I knew he was always just a fast Sonic clone, with him being 'strong' coming more from the western comics interpreting his name as him being a power dude.

It's either interesting to see Mighty's strength only now being depicted in-game after over 20 years, or cool to see another intepreted trait from the west make it's way into a mainline Sonic title.

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Well, he was going to be the power character in his team in the early Sonic Heroes concepts so they at least had the idea back then. Might be because of his name.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Interesting to hear that Mighty will effectively have a shield while rolling, but I wonder if they'll visually communicate that somehow, whether that's uncurling Mighty if he takes damage while in this state. I imagine they'd just play the regular hit animation, but given the wording here it's a little vague as to whether he'll keep rolling or not, hence my curiosity.

That said, I'm even more curious as to how Mighty will affect Mania mode. I believe someone pointed this out earlier in the thread, or perhaps I just heard it in a video, but obviously there are currently very few, if any, places that Mighty can use the Comet Drop, so I'm wondering if new routes will be added to Mania mode retroactively or whether Mighty will only get his own pathes in Encore mode (that said, given he can at least break the ice spikes in Press Garden and use the ability as a precision attack, the Comet Drop wouldn't be completely useless without exclusive routes in the main game).