don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Honestly that wasn't the issue for me with that boss; I just hope they make a visual cue to know when the bumper is not 'hittable'. Flying through the bumper into spikes is infuriating.

2. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Yeah, I thought it was obvious that I was supposed to be knocking it into the spikes when just hitting the boss caused it to bounce away from me and I saw spikes on the wall. This isn't the first time a game's expected me to hurt a boss with a stage hazard that's normally meant to endanger the player.

But the boss inconspicuously becoming intangible drove me insane. Also annoying is how it sometimes doesn't appear to take damage from hitting the spikes.

I'd like to see Puyo Puyo be replaced with something more like the Oil Desert Zone boss. Maybe it could be a boss where you need to manipulate Eggman's movements to climb up a shaft and clear paths to reach Eggman, with each successful match causing the room to fill up with more Mega Mack and combos causing it to fill rapidly.

It'd still be an homage to Mean Bean Machine, but playing out like a Sonic CD boss instead of having the player literally play Puyo Puyo against an AI that has to be bad because of the sudden shift to a completely different play style.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, the weather boss needs a visual cue to know when Sonic can latch on the side bars, since he sometimes can and sometimes can't. And when he can, the players initially have no way to know why they should.

And also, there should be some time for taking shelter against the heat attack. On first attempt, it's impossible to see the attack, understand it and run for shelter.

And speaking of unavoidable attacks, not getting hit by the Phantom Magician's attack relies entirely on luck rather than skill, which feels specially cheap since you're initially prompted to solve the minigame.

There should be enough time to jump under the safe spot, and not rely on "if you mess it up it's fine, just make sure you get your ring back", as the linked video says.

4. Felik

Felik

Remember when Dimps figured out how to make ring management matter during bossfights back in 2005?
    Never thought that I'd say that but Mania team should probably look into what Dimps did and iterate on that.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's been a while since I played Rush, but I remember abusing the "grab one ring when you get hit" technique back then too.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Didn't the rings fly faster and farther each time they were spilled, or something like that?

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Blue Metal Sonic Kai is triggering me.

8. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Yes. Eventually, they become impossible to recollect. This was a huge deal in the Egg King fight because it will attack nonstop until it fully completes one of its attack patterns without you getting hit, at which point you can actually damage it. First timers will probably learn the hard way that collecting every ring at the start of that fight is a very bad idea.

I can't remember this being that important in any other boss between the two games, though.

9. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    *edit* I knwo this might not be a fully finished update.

So I've seen a lot of the accidental leaked update and what it includes, and honestly I feel like some of the zone transitions feel a bit too rushed and I hope they see a little extra improvement between now and release, it's nice to have them but don't use them if it makes little or no sense.

That one boss update feels a a bit eh, mixed feelings from me, I can see what they are going for but it's still weak compared to the s3k version of the same battle.

10. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Please use spoiler tags for the extremely specific reference to the source material of one of those changes. We're trying to preserve the surprise for other people.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well that makes some sense because the revamped Metal Sonic is the halfway point of the game as opposed to the end of the game. It should be easier. Plus it's after a mini boss gauntlet so you've already had some challenges at that point

12. Pengi

Pengi

Just a stray thought, but it would be kind of neat if they added in a code to change "Tails" to "Miles", like Sonic 2 had.

13. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The difficulty is more than fair considering it's a boss for the sixth zone in a 12 zone game. It's a pretty straightforward fight once you know what to do.

I really like the new (blue) Metal Sonic Kai boss-fight. It's a lot more interesting and makes more sense than being chased by a spike wall. It's also nice to have part of a MS boss which isn't just a race.

Plus we get to see the Phantom Ruby and Eggman in the fight (as well as their appearance in the new end-zone transition). It's a well thought out, fair fight.

Good to see Chaotix getting yet another reference as well as the epic boss battle at the end of Death Egg act2 in 3&K.

The spike-wall wasn't a bad fight and it was nice to have something original, but the new MS Kai fight is wonderful fan-service and is an overall improvement. Also, the fight being shorter is better.

I wonder if the Kai fight was originally planned and had to be cut in favor of the spike wall boss?

14. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I would bet money on it.

This would be primo Encore Mode material, and y'all know it - but it's included in the free patch instead? Why not charge people extra for the privilege of a sweet new boss fight... unless it was, like the level transitions, originally planned and cut material?

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I hope there is a cheat for the spike wall to come back.

16. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/988704166188007424
    I'm not really a fan of Ray's proportions... He seems closer to the screen to me or something... I don't know.

Edit 1: There's a low res magazine scan in the article linked on the tweet as well, it looks like we'll be finding Mighty and Ray like Knuckles found Espio in Chaotix... Does that mean Mighty and Ray died, locked away in a capsule in the Modern Timeline? O_O

Edit 2: Angel Island confirmed new stage, at least it looks like it, there are a bunch of good screenshots on that page, if anyone has the original magazine we could be sure...

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Sonic & Ray in Angel Island zone?

This is surely Encore mode. Fucking amazing.

18. Korou Tenshi

Korou Tenshi

UK
    Ray's ability is "Air Glide", Mighty's is something-Drop - scan is way too low res for me to make it out clearly

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Gah, that scan is incredibly low res, it's so frustrating.
    It seems like encore mode will take place after the main story ? (maybe after Sonic Mania Adventure ?)

It's a safe bet to say we won't have to wait long for the trailer now a least.

EDIT: It seems like green hill zone got itself a nice sunset in one of the screenshots. Sonic Advance 3 stages confirmed

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Hammer Drop, it looks like.

Looks like encore mode is at least partially what I expected: the Sonic version of PSO's ultimate mode.