don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Steamdb had the plus update a good four months ago so it's clear a lot of this stuff was either already done or almost done before things got delayed.

Good to see the updated content is separate from the DLC stuff.

Chaotix is f-in canon baby.

2. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Yup.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/FuriousTubularGoblinHotPokket

It seems this should just be released at this point. Only one dramatic change and a bunch of minor stuff.

3. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Come to think of it, I wonder if Mighty, Ray and all the other bonuses are literally in the update itself, but just locked behind a DLC key. A lot of games tend to do that these days.

Hopefully someone with the tools to check got their hands on it. Probably all sorts of goodies.

4. They just....up and did what they did in this update? So as to not spoil anything I won't mention it directly but....wow. This dev team is FANTASTIC, I don't think I've been this impressed at an update in a while

5. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    The unused facial animations for the characters when frozen have been implemented. They look wonderful.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Just played through. The single and most-important fix the team could've ever implemented is in there:

HCZ1 egg-pod thing's seat no longer palette-cycles, and is just a static blue now

7. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Oh my god.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BetterTenuousGoldfishArsonNoSexy

Look at Tails.

8. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Oh my god, he's so cute!

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://youtu.be/sjv1S_F-Nk8

This video shows all the new cutscenes and transitions, along with the updated boss in question. Judging from one cutscene maybe this isn't done after all but it's damn close

I like how this is basically Sonic Mania Complete but official. I think with all the updates Mania will solidify itself as my favorite Sonic game. S3K has been dethroned.

EDIT 2
    the bonus features can now be used with save files. So Sonic's moveset, & Knuckles, debug, and now time limit can be set outside of no save mode. Thank god

10. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    JESUS CHRIST, I FEEL LIKE IT'S AUGUST 15 ALL OVER AGAIN, AND I CAN PLAY WHAT EVERYONE'S PLAYING BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE A PC

And because I should be working right now, but whatever, holy shit I want this so hard.

So basically what's the deal? The update is out for some countries only? They reversed it, but later published again? What's happening?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It seems like the update should have never gone live in the first place. It did for the PS4 but then they removed the update, but those who already updated the game seem to just have it now (sans the encore mode, mighty, Ray, and 4p mode parts that seem to be plus exclusive).

So for now a select few have the updated core game in a semi complete state. Sounds like the rest of us will just have to wait.

12. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Understood. This makes me realize something about the DLC uploaded to Steam last week. It appears that Sonic Mania Plus is a content update with some fixes, the ones you guys are talking about right now (and please, continue using spoiler tags), PLUS (lol, a pun) a DLC with all the additional content advertised (Encore Mode, Mighty, Ray, blahblah).

Pretty neat. I'm curious about SEGA reaction to this, I guess Ruby's Twitter account must be flooded with mentions right now...

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm glad the update splits up the way it does. There's no reason those who don't choose to buy plus shouldn't get the updates that complete the core game.

14. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Yeah, it's rad that there will be a free patch for everyone that addresses many of the minor issues with the core game, and the paid DLC (Mighty/Ray, Encore, 4-player vs.) is just gravy on top for those that want it (which based on the cool free stuff they've added, should seemingly be rad, too). Hats off yet again to the dev team--y'all are the best.

15. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    The fact that half the Stardust Speedway Boss got replaced is pretty rad, but no more ring saving spiked wall! I'm also still waiting for my EGG PANICKY.

I have a feeling not all the patches have been implemented and the leak was a test version. Strange that this particular update changes some of the core story of the same game.....like a self-done hack. We've finally reached Sonic Hack-ception. The creators are putting in their own missed features. Updating a fully released game like this must be the future, especially since the mobile gaming market has been doing this for quite some time now. Thsi just makes me wonder if Sonic Mania 2 will just be additional content for Sonic Mania...like a "Sonic Mania Forever" of sorts.

16. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Fucking amazing news to wake up to. Yeah this seems like a content patch ahead of Mania Plus' release to remedy the primary issues with the game:

(level transitions and so on)

so that the base game Sonic Mania is iterated to the new standard for all existing and potential new owners - with the more extensive Plus content saved for the re-release. If we're correct (and this was intentional) that's quite the awesome and sound strategy. Or we could be off the mark entirely and this was an accidental early release. That said with this hitting multiple consoles (Switch?) I'd say this probably was intentional.

It feels like this is "Sonic Mania: Definitive Edition" given this is exactly the type of work fans would do only it's actually officially coming from Sega. Just fucking awesome guys.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wait this hit more than the PS4? That's odd. Somethings up at the very least.

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Might be my mistake there, I read earlier that there's reports this hit the Switch (and was promptly removed) but on ResetERA they're saying it never did. So unconfirmed at the moment?

From what I'm reading now this was released on PS4 and only in the UK. So perhaps this was an accidental early release?

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I bet it was an accident. This update would have had prior word, and even if it didn't they wouldn't have pulled the update if it was intentional.

Someone screwed up.

EDIT

wow the metal sonic fight was heavily overhauled. The silver sonic section now only takes 3 hits instead of 4 and it has new animations. The section right after was significantly shortened and they added a checkpoint right before the new section 3, aka metal sonic Kai.

20. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Metal Sonic phase 2 got tweaked. The Silver Sonics let off sparks that hurt Metal Sonic if you pop them instead of bouncing them into him. Also the tell for when Metal is about to release an electro ball is more visually obvious, with the same 32X-y electricity effect surrounding him as when he transforms into Kai at the start of phase 3.
    This seriously rules. I do wish I could play the update now but I'll be glad for that last bit of additional polish it gets when it's fully released.
    Also, I'm kind of glad it only leaked on PS4; no datamining until the update is out for everyone, unless someone just happens to fall into the middle of the venn diagram of "owns a hacked PS4 that can access PSN" (is that even a thing?) and "downloaded the update leak during the 10 minutes or so that anyone and everyone could do so".