don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Lacking an ending cutscene dosen't mean diddly. It only implies rushed / lazy development. It makes no sense to create all the characters and make them playable from the beginning, but have them canonically never even see Robotnik and Metal. Metal Sonic can swoop in to damage you on any stage, there's 5 Robotnik boss battles and he's the one who captured and put the Chaotix in stasis in the first place.

My point is that your point is just as baseles. Knuckles rescues the Chaotix from Robotnik. Espio just happened to be the first one.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Chaotix was neat, but good lord the level design was boring. Quarter pipe to platform. Quarter pipe to platform. Quarter pipe to platform. Rinse, repeat.

I'm pretty stoked for Mania Plus. I'm torn on which platform to get it for. I'm gonna proudly display that Genesis box art, and I want the Switch version, but Switch game cases are tiny and I know the sleeve would just look better on one of the other consoles. I have Mania on Switch and XBONE, so maybe I'll get Plus for PS4? Eh, plenty of time to figure it out.

Mighty and Ray were a surprise to me, especially Ray's new shoes. So I guess Mighty's pretty much going to control how he does in Chaotix, but what about Ray? I see him either being like Knuckles, but with the ability to hang on a wall instead of climb, or like Cream from the Advance games, where he'd flap his arms to get more distance than Tails, but not as much height. I can't wait until we see a trailer. Think we'll see anything before E3, or will we probably see our first look there?

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It's quite rare (if actually non-existent) that Sega reveals or debuts Sonic anything at E3 - as in they don't hold back reveals for the show preferring instead to hold their own smaller events and showcase Sonic titles out of the blue. There was a post on ResetERA that logged the reveals/trailers of all past Sonic games and the most commonplace time is April/May or Spring (with Generations being a prime example). So basically we'll likely see something very soon well before E3 going by historic patterns which makes sense given the game's coming in the Summer.

This is also very likely true of the Sonic racing game too with a reveal much more likely to happen before E3. They'll be at E3 for sure but we'll very probably see both games before then.

4. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Probably stick with PS4 since that's already where my current progress is. Although right now my 8 Save Slots are full up with Emerald and Non-Emerald completions for each character.
    I wonder if PLUS will add more save slots like S3&K did for S3?

More importantly, if I put a PLUS physical disc in my PS4, will it still read from my regular digital Mania save as if I'd bought the DLC?

Will PLUS finally add a Trophies + Platinum trophy for that one friend of mine who won't touch a game unless it's got a Platinum?

Maybe getting it on Switch might solve these worries so I can enjoy it fresh..

But I do like the PS4 box best...

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Are we really disputing over pointless headcanon revolving around easter egg bonus characters who serve no purpose aside from pure nostalgia? God bless Sonic Retro... Never Change.

Mighty and Ray drop in from a 90s time warp as the MISSING signs seen previously in Sonic Generations blow past in the wind. DONE.

Lazy answer, you say? Frankly I'll be utterly impressed if they do that much. To be honest, if they just play well, and I enjoy it, I don't give a fuck about WHY they are there. Give me my anthropomorphic robot busting heroes and their spinballs, and color me happy.

6. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Legit question: Do you think they'll implement a tandem system for Mighty and Ray? We got Sonic and Tails plus the Knuckles & Knuckles mode so I'd say it's a possibility. Could be they'll go with something Chaotix related or maybe even a Donkey Kong Country tag system.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like they will. They seem to be treated as a pair these days, like an alternate Sonic and Tails.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I really would like "& Knuckles" mode to be extended to the entire cast. I don't mind if it's not possible on permanent save files, but being able to play as any pair of two characters is great fun on the side.

9. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Well, Ray is a flying squirrel, so I bet it could work having him descend over Mighty every time he gets left behind, same way Tails, and Knuckles in the "& Knuckles" mode, do when Sonic outruns them.

Which makes me think, it's actually hard to think another special move for him that is not flying of some kind. How else is he going to appear on screen outta nowhere when Mighty outruns him? Knuckles gliding slowly towards Sonic looks awkward enough.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    PC master race strikes again :v: Sonic with all moves and Knuckles along with Knuckles and Tails are my favorite combos.

11. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'd have to pick Sonic & Sonic. Double drop dashing is a fun time (and helps off-screen the partner a little less often).

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    As I said a few pages back, I'd love it if they swapped "& Knuckles" with "Arcade mode", allowing you to select up to 3 characters at once.

Maybe they could take a leaf from Advance 3 and have different captions appear depending on your choices.

Or better yet, they could do it like Sonic 1 Remastered and have different title screens to reflect your choices.
    E.g. Sonic, Mighty and Ray gives Sega Sonic Mania, based on the Sega Sonic Arcade title screen
    Mighty and Knuckles gives Chaotix Mania based on the Chaotix screen
    Sonic, Tails and Knuckles could have a Sonic Heroes based screen.
    They could even do some jokes ones like a Sidekick SkyPatrol for Tails and & Ray.

Although doing all that would probably eat up development time which could be better spent elsewhere, so maybe Advance 3 captions would be smarter.

It doesn't need explaining. Mania takes place after the classic games, so Mighty and Ray haven't been gone long at all. And it's been established that Mighty is peaceful wanderer (rather than a 'hero'), so he wouldn't have been inclined to seek out the previous battles.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Haha! I've got the game on PC too, but it's totally besides point. I want it officially, not through a mod.

14. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I wanna play with three characters together - Sonic Classic Heroes style. Sonic, along with Mighty & Ray and the ability to switch between all three characters <3

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Now that there's more than three characters to choose from, perhaps the game does need to change the way in which characters are chosen. Would be an easy fix, though:

• Enter Data Select screen
    • Choose New Save File
    • Choose main character (P1) (defaults to Sonic)
    • Choose P2 if the main character is canonically partnered in the game's story (or choose "NO ENTRY" if you want to play as the character alone)
    • Start game

...Which would be kind of like Advance 3 but with the possibility of just choosing one single character, and also more limited since some combinations may not make sense as the story unfolds.

Then the "& Knuckles" extra could be changed to a "Combi" mode with no restrictions and everybody would be happy.

16. They better add 4 more save slots with the DLC because all of my save slots are full

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm actually ok with deleting the extra save files here. In S3K I like having files with different emerald counts due to different powers/forced super forms. In Mania that's not an issue and you don't have to transform if you don't want to, so I basically just ended up with 2 duplicate files.

However if they go about this how I think they will, and allow Mighty to play with Ray and not add any extra save files, that might be awkward. Then that's 7 characters/character combos with 8 save slots. What the hell to do with the 8th.

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Considering they've been working on a 4P mode, I bet they've included all kinds of character combos, like Knuckles + Tails etc.

19. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    If the new characters won't inherit abilities, I imagine levels will have to be redone on some level to accomodate for any new(?) abilities they want to add. I'm glad to see Mighty isn't MIA any more. Never really cared for Ray, though.

20. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I just want this:
    [​IMG]
    Make it happen, StealthTax!

EDIT: Don't know why it came blurry, sorry.