don't click here

Rare Sonic Art (And restoring it)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JackSkellinghog, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    I think we should all call Toei Sonic "Eguchi Sonic" from now on, same way as we do Uekawa and Ohshima Sonics. He was the character designer for the OP/EDs of Sonic CD, after all.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Always loved the designs from Sonic CD; I felt like they were a bit shorter and slightly different from the OVA model, an definitely drawn in a much more distinctly Japanese style (than say the Hesse model) that could only really exist in the 90s. The charm of it captured my imagination very early on as a kid. Finally being ably to see a full view of Dr. Eggman (who was only seen flying away) and Amy (who was carried the whole time, and showed her eyes for only a moment) is a real treat. :)

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Gotta love those Sonic CD model sheets - great to see! = D

A lot of what I wanted to say's already been said, but I love that the bottom-right face on Amy's sheet seems to be photocopied from the one in the same position on Sonic's sheet, just with the eyes/mouth etc. altered. XD Looking at the spikier spines compared to her full-body pic, I'm going to guess the top-left one's also photocopied and altered from another Sonic sheet we've not yet seen - we already seem to have sheets #2, #3, #4 and an unnumbered sheet (#1?) on the wiki, so presumably it'd be a hypothetical sheet #5 if it exists.

4. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    That Sonic running in front of a spotlight (which is a recent doodle, yeah), for the record, is a reference to another franchise Eguchi's worked in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    "Lupin The Third" :)/>/> .. I loved that show... I remember watching it in RTP 2 years ago with my brothers ... by the way... Satoshi Hirayama which was the head designer of the second season of Sonic X, by Studio Cats, also worked in some specials of the "Lupin the Third" series...

6. Windii

Windii

Hirayama is actually the character designer of Sonic X as a whole. You can particularly see it in his human designs. You can also see his other character design works in stuff like TMS Entertainment's Glass Mask and his personal drawings.

I think Studio Cats is just an assistant animation studio helping out TMS Entertainment is all. I looked at Wikipedia and saw that TMS was listed under Studio Cats' client list.

7. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yes... you're right... he was also responsable for the design of the manga series "Cat's Eye"...

8. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The two recent posts from Eguchi are new, for sure. And yeah, I always felt Toei Sonic was somewhat of a misnomer. Toei is/was a large company with dozens of art and animation directors but the Sonic CD style came about mostly from Eguchi and the internal artists at Sonic Team. Kind of like calling Lilo and Stitch "Disney" designs when we much more specifically where that art direction came from.

9. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Hisashi Eguchi just shared a really cool concept artwork of Metal Sonic for Sonic CD! :)

[​IMG]

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Looks like Gigantor to me.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

12. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Thank you very much :)/> ... I'll reunite them in a single pdf ...

13. Windii

Windii

Really cool stuff!! I especially like the height charts of Sonic and the gang. Now this is how you HD-fy their Dreamcast models.

Now I wish we'd find the Sonic X style guide someday as well.

14. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Complete... in a single pdf... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DVCg-1FPLQNC4-zaFWjpiXUi1pFwIh4x/view?usp=sharing ...

15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Downloaded in its entirety. :) thank you very much!

16. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Don't thank me... thank ... Casshern... he his the true "hero" in this story :)/>/> ...

17. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    My friend Alpha 3 found this. Is this already known and archived?

[​IMG]

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I for one had never seen that. And damn, does Knuckles look weird with those Sonic eyes. Where's that from?

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sonic-Dance-Power-II/release/495665?ev=rr

Sonic Dance Power II

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That image isn't even remotely the same, I'm confused.

Anyway, yea that's some weird art. Never understood why Knuckles was drawing with that ~~ type squiggle mouth in Europe.