don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You'd complain about whoever they introduced that was new, be honest. ;P

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well there are more established characters but it's not like they necessarily hang out with Sonic all the time, really only Tails does. But while like 20 characters is more than 5, they need others to not only fill in the gaps but also to make the comic it's own.

If this comic started off from a Sonic Mega Drive point you know they'd introduce new, non Sega characters eventually.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, if the new characters don't clash with the rest of the designs, why would I? I don't think I've ever had a problem with the new ones introduced in the OVA or the mangas...

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Has anyone complained about Tangle? We seem to be rather fond of her...

5. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I've only had Tangle for a week and a half, but if anyone complained about her, I'd kill everyone in this room and then myself.

She's perfect.

6. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Ian character
    certified good

7. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I'm sure people have, but people are just ignoring them or conveniently haven't seen their complaints. :v:

I think she's pretty cute, myself. It does suck not having the SatAM characters, but I can understand why they're not using them. Maybe they could still show up in the future sometime as recurring characters rather than main ones?

8. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I disagree wholeheartedly. You're thinking in the sense of only using the material provided from the Classic games when in fact they have the entire amalgamated world of the future games they can use to enrich the Classic world. Starting with Forces is just a bad move in my opinion, a story should be told from beginning to end.

Sure this gets the story up to date, but we also lose a lot of really cool adaptions. We never got adaptations for most of the games in Archie, including the huge gaping plot skip of the Adventure 2 arc.

Don't get me wrong, like I said before, this comic is the highlight of my year so far. I'm 90% sure they'll do it properly and I have a lot of faith in Ian Flynn. Still disappointed that we won't get a naturally developing canon that adapts the games chronologically from A to Z.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While there may be gaps a lot of the stories have been told in various ways at this point, whether through the Archie comic or even Sonic the Comic. They might not have been told accurately, but they've been told, sometimes more than once (Sonic 1, 2, and CD were told twice in Archie's run, granted in different alternate history takes but still). Also Sonic's history is a mess. After Sonic & Knuckles it just goes all over the place (and we still aren't quite sure when Sonic CD happened. Hell Ian put Sonic CD after Generations of all things) and with such a long history it would take years to get caught up to modern times, even if you only concentrated on the main series games.

Ian's interpretation of the classic games are fun, but to do it right it would take time and it would recover ground that's already been covered. I'd rather just see new stories at this point with the occasional flash back or nod.

Oddly enough IMO though I think the Archie reboot should have started over from Sonic 1, but not this. I say that because with Archie they had to mix SatAM lore with the older stuff. That meant there was a twist. The story had to be told again because it unfolded differently then it did in the games. How did Sonic 1 mix with the Eggman coup from SatAM? What was Sally up to in Sonic 3? Snively was apparently controlling the Eggrobo that fought Knuckles in Sonic 3K, what was that about? Stuff like that. And the only way we got to find out that stuff was through constant flashbacks because they kept having to explain why the present was the way it was and it was kind of obnoxious because of it. For this one though, besides Tangle, who might just come out of nowhere for all we know, it seems pretty safe to assume that everything happened the way the games interpreted it. Why tell it again?

Also, I just had a thought. Since the IDW comics take place after Sonic Forces, could the Sonic Forces adaption comics almost be considered the equivalent of the Archie Sonic mini series that preceded the actual comic?

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You also have to remember the comics are a licensed property and as such the licensee has a lot of sway in things. They will obviously want to promote their current stuff, not go back and start from 25 years ago.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Because we all know how eager SEGA is to leave Sonic 1 behind, right?

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Well, first of all the team at Archie was given the trial disk for SA2 and told a general outline of the story and then was forced to make an "adoption" in the lead up to issue #100 which meant dropping their current story right then and there. So no, their never would have been a decent adaption either way with the way they forced.

For retrospect, when they were leading into the Sonic Adventure adaption they weren't told how Tikal looked so they made a generic female echidna for that one issue before someone on the team brought a JP Dreamcast and a copy of the game while someone else on the team with limited Japanese knowledge translated on the fly for them. This worked out because if the year gap between the JP and Worldwide releases.

Anyway, 10 years later in they did do a SA2 adaption in the form of a flashback arc before an Eggnan base was raided or something like that. I don't remember which book or issues they were however it if it was pre or post reboot. I think it was pre-reboot however.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Sonic Universe, Issue 2, pre-252.

14. makoeyes

makoeyes

Surprised no one's posted about this before me xD

Apparently two new villains have been revealed for the comic.

Rough and Tumble.

They look okay. It's interesting they're skunks, I guess.

15. I'm just glad they look very original and unique, and not the generic Sonic base with features slapped on that plagued most of the post-reboot Archie characters.
    Couldn't help but make this after seeing their designs and how they're skunks. XD
    [​IMG]

16. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    An interview with Ian Flynn reveal that it'll be a whole new take on the Sonic Story.

The Princess is dead, long live the Lemur.

In all seriousness, I'm glad that they exclude the characters from both SATam and AoSTH so that the comic have its own identity like Sonic X, or the OVAs.

17. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    From that interveiw
    It would be nice to get some more clarification on this. I get the impression he means it's following on from the IDW Comic universe's own version of Forces (aka: Eggman taking over 99% of the world with Infinite as his bro) that may-or-may-not include the previous games and will probably be ignored when the next Game sequel comes out anyway.

Either way I'm interested to see what parts of the game story get picked and used, because it's a big menu now!

18. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Reposting this from the SXSW thread. But I was wondering if anyone here is actually getting that pack? I do want to see what it looks like and I'll just ebay the variant cover if I have to.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So from what I'm hearing the first issue is being released early at Wondercon.

Leaks soon?

20. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    IDW Sonic Update: Ian Flynn Elaborates On “Two-Worlds Canon”, Talks About Fleetway Content