don't click here

Simple Sonic Worlds

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Oct 18, 2016.

1. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    [​IMG]

SAGE PAGE

DOWNLOAD:
    [ LINK ]

Sage description: "Simple Sonic Worlds is a modified version of Sonic Worlds Delta 1.5.1 to make it a lot more simple to new users. However, there are some new features and the physics should feel very different, this time, with the aim of making them feel more like the original classic sonic games, than to make them more accurate code-wise.

The package that this engine comes in also comes with a “Not So Simple” version, with a lot more features than the regular version, including a simple gamepad and xbox gamepad support, a boss example and multiple resolution multipliers."

[Simple Worlds EX version made on the following tutorial series] [Simple worlds tutorial series]

["Big" version video with source link in the description]

So, I just wanted to create a thread for it in case people might have some issues or problems with it. Just a fair warning, This is the final version and I don't plan on making any updates to it unless there is a major issue, which is unlikely at this point.
    This engine is pretty much set for you to make a whole game in it, enjoy. **
    The engine itself does include a couple of additions, such as an enemy example from spark that will follow you around and the example stage is taken directly from it as well.
    Also, This engine was build on top of Worlds Delta 1.5.1 with probably just a couple changes to the core of the engine.

** If you can, make sure you use the "Not so simple" version for your game, as the regular version is just made to get you started and used to the worlds engine, the not so simple version has support for "multiple resolutions" a boss example and gamepad support.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I remember it took me a long time to get used to the Worlds engine before I was able to make stuff with it, so I can see this being a valueble tool for beginners as well as people who do not need all of the preset objects and gimmicks.

Also, now I have the Toot Toot Sonic Warrior theme stuck in my head, except that it's Simple Sonic Warrior. :v:

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I get a format unknown error :S

4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    One disagreement I have with this is the removal of the existing Super form system and only allowing Sonic to transform into Super Sonic... who is a different character altogether. The old system was easier, any character could go Super without needing to do a lot of work; the bare minimum is switching to an alternate set of physics. As it is right now, 1UP monitors get horribly confused if you break one while Super. Unless Sonic is secretly Shadow in disguise... :O (You can fix that by adding a new set of animations for the Monitor and MonitorIcon objects showing Super Sonic in the proper direction slot; direction is based on the Character Global Value. Then add events on Super transformation/detransformation to refresh the direction for those objects)

The other big one is the removal of the title card. Yes, I know, people will want to make their own to do their own thing. But there are people that aren't familiar with Fusion development that aren't entirely sure how to do such a thing. That's why Delta has one; to give people something to work with until they can take things in their own direction.

Finally, you need to explain to users what version of Fusion is required to use this engine with. Because...
    Sorry Hez, this was made in Fusion 2.5, you'll have to upgrade :/

Aside from all that, I think this is a pretty impressive little fork! I'm amazed at how much of the engine remains without all the extensions.

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I get this error on all versions of Fusion (and MMF2). I have the latest version with all export modules.

Now I'm curious why I am getting this error :S

6. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Bizzare O_o

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    The NotSoSimple version runs slower than a something that runs... slow.

8. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

It's a windows 10 issue. Spark has it too and it's fixed by not running the .exe on compatibility mode, which it is doing it automatically.
    I've a hunch it has something to do with the joystick extension, but I can't confirm that.

9. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    It really slow when you have the anniversary update of Win 10.
    I went back to a previous build and it runs just fine.

10. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Yeah it also affects regular Worlds Delta, though it seems to not be as bad with the latest patch from Windows Update?

11. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

12. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVP15Dk3WF4

So, I've decided to try out a scaling system for worlds and a manage to make one.
    This one is what i call, "big sonic worlds" and it's a system that rescales the sensors and character based on a single variable, so, just change that one and run the necessary loop and you can change character scale in realtime. This can also be used if someone ever decides to make an """""HD""""" game in worlds.

This is an experiment I've manage to pull off in around an hour or so and the code is actually just one little group that can be ported over to any variants of Sonic worlds delta with ease (i believe)

source links are in the description.

13. Ice

Ice

I'm gonna make a sonic fangame one day BELIEVE IT! Member
    Sonic Alpha
    Question: How do you create moving parallax clouds?

I've been researching and asking EVERYWHERE but I can't seem to get an answer

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie

I did something similiar for the giant monitor in SC2. I still can't find a proper place to use it so most of the giant/small monitors go unused. I find myself using the small monitor more (due to it giving the ability to go into smaller spots, and walk on water).

15. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha
    By moving I mean endless wraping parallax movement.

I've been searching ALL day and still haven't gotten any answers.....

16. Techokami

Techokami

HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    In Sonic Worlds Delta, there is a block of events specifically for setting up parallax backgrounds. This is located in Sonic Worlds -> General methods -> Startup Events -> Parallax Setup. You put your pieces in the bottommost layer (Layer 1) and set them up as described in the aformentioned event group. There is also a sample in the form of a Background System Box object in that layer, showing a parallax scrolling set of boxes that glow.

Simple Sonic Worlds, however, removes this block of code...

17. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha

I know

Figured it out yesterday when I was researching for hours....

I was just wandering if there was another way since it got removed in Not-so-simple sonic worlds

18. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Good, that should be a lesson not to ask things before you exhausted all your options. The more you ask the less people are likely to actually help you.
    Might be tough to hear but, keep asking for help to a minimum.

Also, If you really have to ask something again, please do it in a polite manner, it can be annoying to some people as some of us are quite busy with our daily lives.

Sorry, I just have to get this out there before you get into a shitstorm with someone, trust me I've seen this happen. Game Dev is frustrating and the rewards can only come after years and years of work so try not to get desperate, not knowing what to do is normal, it will happen over and over and over again, find ways to deal with it, like, doing something else instead.

Anyways, there is a way to do it in simple worlds but it's not that intuitive and I would need to make a full tutorial for that one. It's basic programming logic so you'll be able to figure out how to do it over time.
    Your best bet so far is to learn as much of fusion as you can (i mean the code) and port over the system from delta, which is basically copying the groups that relate to the parallax system, which there is two i believe and then creating a "background system box" object, making it the exact same size as the image you import into it, adding a qualifier that the code messes around with in the code and then setting certain variables, (i think D and E for position and F for scrolling which shoud be set to "time/10*-1" or something, maybe without the "-1" as scrolling ahead doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Okay at this point you can probably see why I removed it from simple worlds? I mean you can just copy and past the one that's inside delta into your own game but you'll have to removed the outline effect and also the place in the code that changes it and sets it's variables so good luck finding that or searching over the shitty checkmark editor.
    That is, if you can open delta to begin with.

19. Ice

Ice

Sonic Alpha

I'm sorry If I asked in a way that was impolite, rude, or just plain mean and I really appreciate you telling me that I was, because I'm not that type of person :(

And yes everything you've stated is correct and I already knew why you got rid of it in your simple sonic worlds. I was still trying to see if there was another way besides using the background parallax because the way you had it set up in simple sonic worlds is the best for me I love how easy & simple it is!
    But at this point, just animating it on ms maybe the most tedious but it's also the most easiest way to do so.

I will finish watching all of your tutorials which REALLY helped me a lot but I stopped to learn about the engine which also helped me majorly as well.
    Good luck on your 3d Fark game (I said Fark since he is the main character this time).

And I will take your advice and not get desperate next time or try something else, we live & learn after all :)

20. PkR

PkR

SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
    There's a very simple way of doing basic parallax that was used way back in the MMF1.5 days.

Make a large enough patterned Background System Box, then add an "Always" event that sets its X coordinate to X Left Frame * multiplier. The multiplier is a positive value between 0 and 1. The closer it is to 1, the slower it moves. Try 0.9 for a test. Same for Y scrolling, but with Y Top frame * multiplier (can be different from the X multiplier too).
    This is probably as basic as you could get, obviously you'd need to adjust the code if you want scrolling clouds for example.