don't click here

SEGA Forever: Sonic The Hedgehog CD (iOS/Android)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheOcelot, Feb 1, 2018.

1. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Sonic CD hasn't been available to download on mobile devices for quite a while now (was taken down for "maintenance" ages ago).

Well, it's now available again. As expected, Sonic CD has joined the SEGA Forever line-up:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/959136955337293824

From what I've played of it so far; the good news is that the controls still seem fine (unlike in the Sonic 2 SEGA Forever version). However, the sound isn't quite right. There's a weird occasional static noise (difficult to describe).

Edit: I did a quick playthrough of Palmtree Panic from the new version:

2. RibShark

RibShark

The sound definitely feels off to me. Sound effects are way louder than normal and there's a static noise sometimes when they play.

The intro movie doesn't play when you start a new file anymore either, instead being moved to a menu option. Also, Desert Dazzle files are in the RSDK file, but I doubt this was intentional.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm still mad I was never able to buy the original taxman Android version since it wasn't on the store for years. And I don't want this crappy Sega Forever version either, so I guess I still won't have an Android version.

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Facing the same thing that I did with Sonic 2 Forever in that trying to restore purchases just leads to "Please wait" on iOS then "Time-out", so I'm just going to hold off for a while until I randomly remember to try again weeks from now.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Good grief, why is SEGA Forever such a steaming turd?

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    What was with all those ads? Is this game free now?

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

That's the Sega Forever model. I think there's usually an option to pay to remove ads though.

8. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Yeah, there's an option as soon as you enter the main menu, asking if you would like to pay $2 for ad-free, or play the version with ads. That's $1 cheaper than before, to beat it all, so I don't mind this. Happily went for the paid option myself. :)/>

I'm still keeping my personal APK backups of the original Sonic 1 and 2 remasters, though, in case the SEGA Forever versions break some things. Still on Android Lollipop, so I'm not sure how much longer it will be before OS compatibility with newer apps in general goes downhill; it's happening to KitKat already.

EDIT: Yeah, no, I'm refunding this. The game somehow forgot my purchase and it refuses to restore it. I don't care if this is Sonic CD, I'd rather it not exist on the Play Store at all than deal with advertisements.

I've noticed that too. It's fortunately minor for me, but I would be happy if a future update fixed it. Right now, I'm relieved the game is back on the Google Play Store at all. I passed up buying the original version, before it went down, and regretted it.

9. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Hey folks, with the latest SEGA Forever release being Sonic CD (which has brought the Android release back), I'm keen to hear any suggestions you have for bugs you'd like us to fix. I'll be dropping some premium unlock codes in another thread over the next few days too!

Thanks in advance!

10. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    There's a thread over here that people are talking about the release in: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37798

A little redundant, but my first impressions: Certain sound effects are garbled/static-y, and on my end, the game wouldn't restore a 1-hour-old purchase. Is authentication tied to Google Play Games? (Which I don't have installed.)

11. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Hey OcelotBot, thanks for making this thread!

Those of you having issues: could you please list your device you're using and the firmware you're on too please? This means we can attempt to replicate the bugs and find the root cause of the issues so we know how to fix them.

Meanwhile, please feel free to grab codes to unlock the IAP below:

Download: iOS / Android

iOS (Worldwide) [redeem from the App Store]
    HR9RKFJAFYLW
    T49AP9YAAPA7
    3PMJL3NJ6WL7
    JMT39F9EMJJ4
    TA3JNTYYNLAM
    EP7TTMJLN64M
    FMLN4JRKTWFW
    HYEYN6HNRKT3

Android (Worldwide) [redeem from the purchase dialogue in-game - Tap the drop-down here, Redeem here]
    5JH0L3UFJK4JQXDNC92BESS
    QU25B0D0XWE7FTM6YRS5YZ7
    Z3U18ZFQC0JD157LL5C0RFH
    Z1RB3ST4LX62MHS03ZMQM92
    YY9DHX0ZN4D1AUVZCCGEESP
    AD466JC07U3TF203GNLXFYE
    AW29HC2TN45AZN3RUZXUZL9
    9JYN4RJQE998SR3EW63R21A
    02TTUCS2SLW7C45WC90CG42
    5W3LMKBU27JSQGEX69LZS92

As usual, please say if you've taken a code to save everyone else's time! :v:

Cheers!

[PS: iOS users: there's an update hitting the store on Monday that may fix any issues you're having]

12. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Thanks for the heads up Luke; completely missed that. There are some codes for the ad-free unlock in that thread now, and we welcome any and all reports of issues (please include your device and firmware details too)!

Cheers!

13. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Hi Luke, may we have the order number from your receipt (should start with "GPA") as well as the e-mail address you have linked to your Google Play account please? That way we can activate it on our end. Please send this to [email protected], as it's safest not to share all those details here. Apologies for the inconvenience!

14. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Google Play refunded it within minutes, a lot faster than I expected, so I don't have any valid details for the moment. Once I'm sure my Paypal balance has updated, I'll repurchase it and see if I still have the same problem. If it does, I'll give the provided email address a try.

It's nice to know there is something that can be done in cases like this, I appreciate your help. :) Sorry for being hasty; going to keep that in mind for future Play Store purchases in general.

15. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Not to worry - you can grab one of the codes above instead if they're still available!

16. RibShark

RibShark

Redeemed the code "5JH0L3UFJK4JQXDNC92BESS". Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Found another issue; you can't advance past the first page on the instructions. Running Android O (Custom ROM) on a Moto G5S Plus.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Does the app produce a black screen on BlueStacks for anyone else? The audio and input work, but there's no image.

18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I used code YY9DHX0ZN4D1AUVZCCGEESP. Thanks, caffeinedreamer.

19. Felik

Felik

You're the best, caffeinedreamer!
    Redeemed this code "02TTUCS2SLW7C45WC90CG42". Thanks!

By the way, every game I install recently is asking to also install Google Play. Is there are any benefit doing that other than making that annoying screen go away for good?

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Android user here. There's no option to redeem a code when I chose to purchase the ad-free version in my game, there's only an option to add a credit or debit card. So these codes can't be redeemed unless you have a credit/debit card added to your account?