don't click here

RAGE (Really Amateur Games Expo) 2018 Returns January 28th!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Neo Hazard, Jan 17, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    RAGE (Really Amateur Game Expo) is, bar none, the greatest online convention in the history of the internet.

What is RAGE?

RAGE is a kind of, but not really, game jam, where creators can compete to produce the worst, goofiest fan game possible using whatever tools at their disposal. RAGE has always prided itself in having some of the worst games to ever exist, and we plan on continuing that tradition again this year. You can read more about RAGE on the wiki!

Are there like, rules or something?

You mean guidelines?

Yeah, Guidelines.

• Games need to stick to the theme, this is the most important requirement to note.
    • Submissions need to be in by 11:59 pm CST on Friday, February 2nd.
    • Send all RAGE submissions to [email protected]; submissions before January 28th will not be accepted.
    • Games should really only be 5 – 10 minutes long. We're not looking for an epic here.
    • Feel free to use any engine/platform/program you like, just make sure it'll run on modern day systems!
    • If you don't have something on hand, there's trials of several commonly used programs, as well as free versions. Less experience might even help you here!
    • Have fun with it! Sure you're shooting for bad, but you're wanting to make funny bad, like The Room or Birdemic of video games. (In other words, you're aiming for humor, not just garbage.)

We'll announced the theme of the game on January 28th. You have a short time to create and submit your game between there, so get ready to get crackin’! In the past, RAGE has been entirely for bragging rights (if you're into that sort of thing) and making comical abominations. That's all good and fun, but once again, we're announcing a grand prize for RAGE's first place winner:

A $50 Amazon Gift Card*!
    We'll be holding a livestream where we'll play through every RAGE submission on the SAGExpo YouTube on Saturday, February 3rd at 7:00pm CST. Shortly thereafter, the RAGE site will go live so you too can witness the whiteness, with the RAGE winner announced on February 7th.

Brush up on your game making skills… or don't! Either way, RAGE is back!

*Or your country's equivalent of $50USD, should the winner be outside of the U.S.

2. itsstillthinking

itsstillthinking

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Dreamcast Website, Sega Saturn Netlink Voip
    Forgot what rage was for a second and was immediately was thinking "XL2 should send in the new build of Sonic Z-Treme!" then i remembered its for hilarious bad games, anyway hope all goes well this year and no one makes that has a million micro transactions (actually saying out loud would help if fit in rage quite well :) )

3. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I'm so pumped. I always wanted to make something for RAGE but never got the chance.

4. Beep beep, it's the RAGE THEME.

For those that hate the front page, this year's theme is "Green Hill Again?!?"

YOUR MISSION: Create a terrifically bad game around Green Hill Zone and its constant return to because nostalgia never wears out its welcome. Don't forget, if your game doesn't stick to the rules, especially the theme, it will be disqualified! And if you haven't already, subscribe to the SAGExpo YouTube channel, where we'll be livestreaming every play-through on Saturday, February 3rd at 7:00pm CST.

Brush up on your game making skills… or don't! We look forward to every entry you send us!

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Perfect theme. I know just what to do.

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'm not much of a coder, and I've never entered RAGE, SAGE, or anything else of the sort, and I don't really have any time to work on this outside of today, but I couldn't help myself. Did what I could in about ten hours with no experience. I can't wait to see what everyone else submits; these are always a lot of fun.

7. Above is the VOD from last week's livestream of RAGE 2018, and what a stream it was! Per usual, we ran into technical difficulties, played some awful games, and had a blast going through each and everyone of your entries. While there can be only one winner, we want to give special accommodations to several games and above all, a big thank you to anyone who submitted or watched the stream! Without further ado, the highlights, the winner of RAGE 2018, and of course, the pack containing every game for your own enjoyment.

• Green Hill Man Man - Sonic Mania was the return to form that fans had been crying out for for years. Along comes Green Hill Man Man to remind us that, as fantastic as Mania is, the nostalgia goggles run deep. Almost as deep as the cuts this game's got. Make it one of your first games to check out if you're familiar with Mania's history.
    • Green Hill Dating Simulator - Full disclosure, this game ran a bit past the requested 5 to 10 minute runtime that games were asked to be kept to. But frankly, it was worth it. Thanks to the motley crew who gathered together to stream, we got more than one laugh voicing the numerous different characters. But it wasn't just our acting that made this game enjoyable. The game is chock full of puns, nods, clever, and sometimes corny writing that makes it a wonderful delight. On top of that, there's two ending, and we only made it to one on stream! That alone means you have to check it out, if anything to find out what Chemical Plant has to say.
    • Sonic Boom and Knuckles - This game managed to flawlessly combine the RAGE 2018's theme with RAGE 2016 Act 1's theme, while also being appropriately weird. There's also a bit of replay value if you can score every ring in the level, which we never did. It's surprisingly challenging but has one wicked sense of humor that can't be missed.
    • Sonic Level Management System - This game is as comical as it is addictive. It also feels a little too on point, and frankly, that's how it should be. Saying anything more will spoil the fun.
    • Green Hell Zone, Sonic Jam Session, and Sonic Ramp Rush - On the surface, RAGE is about making a "bad game." The reality is that it's more parody than purely slapping something unplayable together and calling it a day. These three games are grouped together because... frankly they aren't bad at all! Green Hell Zone is as technically impressive as it is dumb; it's a procedurally generated game that has a goofy looking Sonic barreling down a hill, trying not to die from spikes and to make it to the goal. Sonic Jam Session is a rhythm game that features every version of Green Hill played in a style very similar to the Theatrhythm or Guitar Hero games. Sonic Ramp Rush is similar to those old flash games you used to play in middle school, where you fine a blue ball (supposedly Sonic) off a ramp and attempt to gain rings to by upgrades to get more momentum, distance, and rings. All three of these games have one thing in common... they could easily be polished up and be solid entries to SAGE! Seriously, we'll likely go back to Sonic Jam Session a few more times before it's all said and done and would love to see any of these games make an appearance towards the end of the summer!

And your winner of RAGE 2018 is...​

[​IMG]

Sonic Suggests is a wild ride from beginning to end. The amount of work that had to go into this in just a few days is staggering, and after a year with Sonic titles released on two opposite ends of the critical spectrum, it just feels appropriate that this year's RAGE winner embraces the goofiness that is Sonic the Hedgehog. There's plenty of gags you'll see right off the bat, but it's the subtle bits and spot-on comedic timing that makes Sonic Suggests the winner of RAGE 2018.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone that joined us for the RAGE livestream and submitted games. We love playing through these every year and we hope to entertain you as much as you entertain us! And speaking of entertaining...