don't click here

New fan game release

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    The one you've been waiting for!.....

After recovering some files from years ago, I found some classic games I created mid 1999-2002ish. I present to you....SONIC D! It's a fan-game I apparently made years ago when I was a small kid. Besides a few friends, I don't think it has ever seen the light of day....UNTIL NOW! I literally opened this puppy up, built it, and zipped it up. You get the raw...uncut....un-tampered with....Sonic D! Seriously, this game is shit. Like utter, complete, shit. I probably should have been locked up as a 12ish year old kid making bullshit like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzakp9ym2qfyru0/Sonic%20D%282018%29.zip?dl=0

Have at it kids. I have only gotten past level 3 so far. You basically have to glitch your way through it. Consider this a 2018 present to you all...

Seriously, I warned you, this game is fucking awful.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    God my heart actually skipped a beat thinking this was a surprise release of Classic 2, though guessing that was your intention!

I'll give this a whir when I get some time later, could be cool for the SFGHQ-era nostalgia. How goes Classic 2 out of interest? :v:

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This game is awful, and I really suggest having a few drinks before even attempting to "play" it.

I'm chipping away at Classic 2. Life slows be down but it'll get released eventually. Screenshots below just for fun in proof its still semi getting worked on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah, that's some pretty amazing news/update on Classic 2! Beautiful screens too, particularly the first one. Your art direction is insanely good, as with Classic 1.

Feels like forever ago Classic 1 came out and we all played it. From what I remember I adored it thinking it was one of the best fangames I'd ever played. Everything I've seen thus far from Classic 2 looks like it's shaping up to be even better, so it's wonderful news to hear it's still on track and set to release when it's done.

I know you have important life stuff now too so take your time. We'll all be excited to play it when it's finished. Kudos on the awesome work man.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I'll wait as long as I have to.

6. Felik

Felik

Just fix as many bugs as you can before release please. SC1 was a great game dampened by countless annoying, sometimes gamebreaking bugs + - also Aqua Planet sucks ass  

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    What was particularly bad about Aqua Planet? I ask because I'm doing sort of a "re-release" bundled with SC2, and I've already heavily modified and fixed a lot of issues including some minor and major layout changes. If its layout, I'll remodel that bitch. If its bugs, they'll likely be fixed. I do want honest input.

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    A re-release of Classic 1 is an awesome idea and would get me to replay the game all over again, particularly if there are substantial improvements. For what it's worth I don't remember encountering any game breaking bugs back on release, just things that were slight and non-game breaking here and there, but nothing that severely impacted my enjoyment of the game, which I thought was excellent.

Do keep us posted on the status and progress of Classic 2. Sonic fangames, particularly awesome ones like yours, are few and far between these days. Very much looking forward to it.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's been a while since I've played Classic 1 but IIRC that level had broken air bubble spawners. It was either the bubbles didn't spawn at all or they did and you weren't able to collect them. I also recall some platform collision problems.

Also that final boss in Classic 1 was just mean :colbert:

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    aw it wasn't that bad :v:

I'd love to hear what people would like to see improved now that the game has been out for a few years. I'm sure theres more. I've added level transitions to majority of the levels too

11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    It's the main reason why I rage quitted in my live stream when I played both Classic 1 and 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daov6jKZj_M

Link to YouTube video

I did make a snippet of it into my best bits video if you want to see what we mean with the bubbles (also shows collision issues but I don't mention about it here).

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'll give that a watch tonight! This will really help iron out more bugs.

has no one played the Sonic D master piece?...

13. Felik

Felik

First off two Labyrinth-esq zones for a single game is an overkill. Even one is highly unwelcome. I'm talking about flow and level design. Water levels in Sonic games are rarely fun and of all classic water levels Labyrinth is the worst one and accidentally it's the one Aqua Planet and Luster Lake take the most ques from.
    Also of the two Luster Lake is more visually appealing (to me) and has better flow and original gimmicks.
    What I hated the most about Aqua Planet was how dull it was. Just some floating blocks in the sky, some loops and barely any interesting original gimmicks (if any). Also it had at least one "repeat a section of the level over and over again if you fall down" area which I despised.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I may do an overhaul for the re-release, or an option to play the original layout if wanted. It took the place of Mercury Mines and was a last minute addition because I loved the background art. I'm wondering if adding Mercury Mines back in and making this level an optional would be better. Mercury Mines became way too Mystic Caves for me so I dropped it last minute. I should see if I still have a build of it with Mercury Mines....

15. Felik

Felik

That'd really interesting! Looking forward!

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Could always have a point in the game where the paths split into two optional zones at the end of the previous zone, letting you choose between Luster Lake or Aqua Planet.

17. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'd absolutely love a "Sonic Classic 1 Director's Cut" particularly if it'll include a completely new zone, so excited and looking forward to seeing what you come up with Hez.

If Classic 1 is re-released with more/new content I'd re-play the hell out of it and I'm sure many of us here would too.