don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    It's ridiculous how long it takes for him to release so little.

But I guess that's what one gets when you mix laziness with a lack of talent.

2. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    If he has anything of value at all, he's probably holding it back until his super stupendous amazing fantastic Lara-su Chronicles APP is finished. Probably because you'll have to buy it to read the comic, and now he's not gonna be getting any Archie reprint royalties, that's probably gonna be his only income, so he's gotta make sure he gets it right =P

He's a funny man XD

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/946634628713955328

Wait, so he's actually trying to fit the Sonic comic plot points into his work rather than just starting anew with his DonutSteels? I'm not understanding him fully (I never do tbh), but surely unless he completely seperates his work from Archie Sonic, he won't be able to make any money from it, right?

Either way I feel like he's edging a bit too close to the Archie nest on this one.

4. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Nothing to see here, just a guy writing really bad fanfiction.

BTW, any word on whether Scott Fulop is continuing his mental retardation by refiling against Archie comics? Penders mentioned something about being a witness awhile back.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So, wait, he's using Scourge? Evil Sonic?

Wasn't Scourge Ian Flynn's design and Pender's design was the Sonic with sunglasses and jacket?

I can not see this ending well...

6. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    After all this time he should at very least be dropping a 200+ page graphic novel regardless of quality pretty soon. But deliberating questions like that infer that not much solid progress has been made at all.

7. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    This can only be a cry for attention, I can't imagine it being anything else.
    "LOOK AT ME!!! I'm DOING THIS OBVIOUSLY SCANDALOUS THING! RETWEET AND COMMENT!"

8. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    I don't understand why anyone would be surprised by these latest statements.

This is a comic book that from the get-go has been intended as a continuation of the Mobius: 25 Years Later arc, which is heavily tied to Sonic. He is doing the bare minimum to change the characters that he can't own. And for whatever reason, he currently has a claim on evil Sonic, and Scourge is, unfortunately, just that same character who changed his fur color. And that doesn't mean he would show up as green, Ken might just take the name but make him blue again because why not.

I'm sure Ken would argue that the character changing his look would be the same as, say, an artist drawing Superman with a beard and claiming that he created a brand new character. No one would win that legal argument. If Archie really wanted to, maybe they could try to claim that Scourge is unique enough in the Superman/Superboy sense. A court deemed them legally different enough to be claimed as two separate works, even though they are both Kal-El from Krypton. It's why DC couldn't use the name Superboy for a few years in their books. Of course, everything involving Superman on the legal side has its own twists and turns, so if you really want to look into that, there are far better people and places that can explain it.

He has mentioned that Ian's run could still have "taken place" in previous tweets from years back. I would imagine that whatever reference that amounts to in his final work is just going to be a throwaway mention of Lara-Su seeing all these alternate timelines before she was shocked back to reality, and everyone looks odd and her father is now K'nox. When you strip away everything else, Ken Penders is a comic book nerd, and trying to make sense of continuity is one of a comic book nerd's favorite pastimes.

9. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    This part I wasn't aware of. I was under the impression he was writing a whole new story just featuring his own created characters so that he could still make mad fat cash off his supreme talents. I didn't think he would be allowed to actually tie into the Sega/Archie continuity and still profit from it.

Then again, he probably knows more about what he can and can't do more than me so :v:

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Mine was just confusion on him being able to use Scourge. The SuperBoy example goes both ways here: he made Evil Sonic, but Flynn made Scourge.

Ah well, we'll see.

11. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    A "whole new story" would require effort on Ken's part. It's much easier to write fan fiction using nothing but donut steels.

Which is why it's shocking that he's still so incredibly slow.

12. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I just like that he felt the need to tweet about Geoffrey and Hershey not having had a relationship in his story, like that is going to be the major problem people have with it.

13. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    To me, he's trying to stir up more drama for himself because it was Karl Bollers who put Geoff and Hershey together, which once again shows he didn't like people doing anything with the characters he created to the point he'd retconned it if he possibly could.

The more drama he causes, the more attention he gets.

14. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I see. So this is just more tantrums from Ken rather than strictly vanity.

15. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    Why not both?

16. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I used the word "strictly" for a reason.

17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    http://www.cutefluffykittens.com/2018/01/09/archie-sonic-subscribers-apparently-seeing-remaining-subbed-issues-redirected-to-other-archie-series/

Not Penders-related, but Archie decided that, instead of refunding people who subscribed to their Sonic series, they're just going to toss some random comic series to them.

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Oh great, free copies of Jughead instead of anything I actually fucking care about

19. Unbekannt

Unbekannt

Previously MiSHiKiS Member
    Can people still ask for a refund, however?

20. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

Can confirm, I had received a copy of the New Crusaders recently which I found to be odd considering how many months it had been since both main Sonic comics were canceled. I honestly forgot all about it since I never directly received any letter or notification from Archie that the comics had been canceled to be begin with despite it being awhile since SEGA announced a transfer in partnership months ago.