don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Physical releases are also a lot easier for Walmart to sell. That's gotta be a huge factor for them; you can't walk into a brick and mortar store (which is still their bread and butter) and buy a Sonic Mania download code for any platform. You've gotta buy a gift card, and I'm not sure what the profit margin is on those, but I'd imagine slim to none since a $20 eShop card is worth the same in the eShop as you pay at the store.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/940584100662075392

So this is strange. Apparently there was some footage supposedly from early build of Forces that has since been deleted. Tracker on Twitter managed to snag a gif of at least some of the footage and it shows Modern Sonic exploring a much more open world than anything seen in Forces. It also shows off an unrestricted camera.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh good apparently someone was able to snag the footage before it was taken down so we could possibly see it again.

EDIT 2: It's fake, continue as normal. As far as we know there was never any plans for this game to be more open :v:

3. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Wtf. It looks... not horrible?

4. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    From what I can tell this was a fanwork. Seems to be from the guy who made that recreation of Sonic Unleashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gK56bYWaMI

5. urlogic

urlogic

Has anyone gotten x360ce to work with Sonic Forces? All I have is an OG xbox controller and I can't get it to work.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
  7. It's almost as if good games tend to be popular, while "not horrible but not great either" ones don't as much.

Who knew.

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    ...Everyone?

This doesn't seem to be a surprise. Middling Sonic game gets middling reception and sales.

9. makoeyes

makoeyes

One can only wonder what Sega intends to do with Sonic next after this...

And apparently, they just have no damn intentions whatsoever to unlock the Super Sonic transformation that was patched in on day 1, either.

What the hell is going on with them?

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think my early assumption that Forces "near-bombed" is looking more likely by the day. Yes we don't have concrete numbers or hard data just yet, but that NPD performance for a mainline Sonic game hitting all systems, with the timespan between Forces and the last Sonic game and all the marketing Forces had is fucking abysmal. It basically didn't chart and its position on the Switch's chart is too disappointing to matter. We don't know if it bombed yet but it's looking increasingly likely it dramatically underperformed even if it stops short of outright bombing on all systems.

On a more positive note, Sonic Mania sold like, millions of copies so at least we had one super successful Sonic game this year (and much more deservedly so, in my opinion).

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya, gotta say what the hell was up with tying finished stuff like this to DLC? If the game isn't performing well they might just not get around to releasing it which screws console gamers out of already finished content.

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Why even mention super sonic in the patch notes if he's not going to be usable outside of PC mods?

13. Nostalgia

Nostalgia

During the last stream Aaron insinuated that the Super Sonic DLC would be coming soon.

14. James K

James K

I know you said it was fake, but what was the footage/gif?
    (I'm curious if it looked like an actual decent attempt at 3D Sonic, fan game or not)

15. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    So wait, Super Sonic is still not in the game? I had no plans of buying it until they added it....

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

Not that Super Sonic is really all that special anyway. You have no control at all over the transformation once you hit 50 rings, as Sonic will do it the instant you're on the ground and have control (which stands out in some stages since you can't transform in entirely automated sections), and the stages are so short and easy that it doesn't really give you much time to embrace the brokenness.

If anything, in certain stages Super Sonic is actually a detriment, like Arsenal Pyramid, since he gains speed and moves so quickly that slower platforming can be awkward to navigate.

17. Taylor

Taylor

This is a semi-common theory I see but I don't know, the game feels too dedicated to having an Avatar. if anything, it's Classic Sonic that reeks to me of a character added in at the last moment :V

18. On a slightly different note, supposedly according to a couple of tweets by Tomoya Ohtani, one of the Sonic Forces soundtracks (Sounds like the Hi-Res Collection, which is just a compilation) will have remastered versions of Sonic Unleashed's instrumental "The World Adventure" and ending theme "Dear My Friend". Probably a tack-on to one of the digital soundtracks, but still, that's awesome.

19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Apparently not everyone. I saw quite a handful of comments claiming Forces would get good sales, because "it's for the kids" and that demographic would be easily hooked by the custom hero playstyle and the edgy story/presentation.

A fair amount of those comments also used the same reasoning to declare Forces would also vastly outsell Mania in the process. ¯\_(?)_/¯

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yo PM me that when it releases, love to take a listen.