don't click here

Best way to play S3&K in 2017?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Toasty, Dec 4, 2017.

1. An other option is to buy an Amazon Fire TV (stick) or Nvidia Shield (TV). In that case you can also play the Taxman remasters of Sonic 1, 2 and CD on your TV (which is also possible with OUYA). And if you use MD.emu Sonic 3 & Knuckles should be no problem.

2. Eurisko

Eurisko

These days I normally go with the Xbox arcade versions of Sonic 3 and S&K which has Sonic 3 & Knuckles as "Extra Content". Its in HD and is now backwards compatible on Xbox One. I'm sure this is the same on PS3 too.
    I also have it unlocked on Sonic Mega Collection but to unlock it you have to load up a few of the other games multiple times to get it to unlock. Mega collection is however pretty cheap these days and available on PS2 , Xbox and GameCube.

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Original hardware + CRT is the only way to go for me :)

4. gold lightning

gold lightning

Truth be told, if it weren't for me always having my Genesis hooked up all the time, my system of choice for playing S3&K would probably be my WiiU of all things.

For one, it gives me the option of playing either legit or not-so-legit copies thanks to homebrew. Second, (provided I don't use Wii mode) the signal sent to my TV is 1080p over HDMI (as opposed to my Genesis for which I only have composite cables.)

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Y'all keep mentioning the WiiU...is there a legit release of S3&K on there?

6. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Not a proper Wii U release.
    You can either Homebrew it to play Emulators, or use the Wii channel on there to play the Virtual Console release.

I don't know how safe the Wii U is to softmod just yet but since Nintendo have dropped it for the Switch, the temptation is starting to get to me.

7. Felik

Felik

How many people here actually prefer to play S3K with a scaling filter?
    I must not be the only one, right? RIGHT???

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please note that if you live in a PAL country, the Virtual Console version will play in 50Hz mode, which I've read that the Wii U doesn't support well and just doubles each 5th frame, not registering button inputs on the "fake" 6th frame.

9. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I modded my Wii U virtual Wii pretty easily. I've also done it twice on real Wiis. Still haven't messed anything up.

10. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Sonic 3 Complete on MD.emu for Android. It is the best emu since the real thing. I can attest to it as it is the only one I've used since 2011 and no other is as user-friendly, reliable and professional. It is part of Robert Broglia's line of Android emulators for about a dozen classic consoles. Sonic 3 Complete speaks for itself so no explanation needed there.

11. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Good point on this. My above advice should be for US Virtual Console only. As a UK boi myself, It's always been a minefield not knowing if you'll be getting a 50hz or 60hz game with what you pay for.

PS3's PSN was a bit of a pain for that as well. My happy face when I bought the PSN release of Capcom vs SNK, only for it to become a sad face as I realised it was the PAL PS2 50hz only release. The slowdown was real that day...

I sometimes like messing around with Retroarch shaders for CRT effects, scanlines, etc. Depending on the game I'll also use Bilinear filtering, but this is on a game-by-game basis. Something like Sonic I'll play with clean sharp pixels (green hill waterfall posters need not respond :^) ) , but something like Donkey Kong Country I'll filter it a little as I always feel the game natively benefits from a little anti-aliasing effect.