don't click here

SEGA Forever: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (iOS/Android)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by caffeinedreamer, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Sable

Sable

having an official version of SA1 with the added content of SADX and the aesthetics/quality of the dreamcast version, on mobile no less, would be absolutely amazing - if you have the power to, please put a word in for it. a majority of the discourse about the game's quality in recent years was birthed by its disgustingly thrown together ports, in specific the 2010-11 digital rereleases - it would take a huge push to overcome the backlash the game has gotten lately, but doing so would allow both an entirely new audience to experience it and go towards redeeming a part of the sonic brand that is in dire need of it right now.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Do you really expect a mobile "SEGA Forever" release of Sonic Adventure not to be a "disgustingly thrown together port"? Have you tried the Mega Drive releases in this line?

People here are reporting that the screen aspect looks all deformed now.

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I tried downloading the free-to-play version of Sonic 1 since I own the ad-free version on Google Play, but when I click Restore Purchases, it just takes me to the page for the last update of the pre-Forever version. Is this intentional?

4. Jeiku

Jeiku

Oh man, the iOS version of this game has become nigh unplayable for me.

I have this game on iPhone 5 and it was perfectly playable for me before the update. Now, the title screen kinda glitches where it skips over the part where the cartridge exits the box, and the controls are very unresponsive. I also can't charge up a spin dash anymore by pressing jump repeatedly. I really hope this gets patched in the future, since the Sega Forever version of Sonic 1 never gave me any trouble. However, that game was also updated recently, so who knows if they screwed something up in that game too.

5. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Both Sonic 1 and 2's old paid versions have issues on Android that are likely not gonna get fixed ever I find. S1 still retains a nasty bug with the level select in no save mode where you can't enter the sound test codes. And S2 doesn't use all the screen real estate on newer phones (Like the Pixel 2 XL).

Same story for S1 but yeah.

6. I have to agree with Jeiku here. I loaded up Sonic 2 today to play whilst waiting on someone and the controls were atrocious, trying to do the timed platforms at the end of Wing Fortress was actually impossible as it felt like the game wouldn't let you press the D-pad and jump button at the same time. There was also occasions where the D-pad would stick and I would keep running right despite having changed direction or let go completely. Bit annoying, hopefully gets fixed as the Taxman remasters were the best ports of the game and they have played fine for all this time. It would be a shame to see them decrease in quality just to be made part of this Sega Forever branding.

Whilst on the topic of the remasters (I know it's slightly off topic to Sega Forever) but I'd still love the Sonic 1 and 2 remasters to come to consoles. If Sega wants my money just stick them on current gen and I'd buy them in a heartbeat!

7. ^Goodness this awful. My original Taxman versions aren't going to be updated to the Sega Forever versions are they?

8. JoePro

JoePro

It's weird, I've downloaded it on my phone and it has this massive slowdown issue--the gameplay itself is reduced by about 1/4 normal speed, but the menus and of course the ads are fine. However on my tablet, everything works perfectly. Both use the latest version of android.

I haven't found any other issue when playing on my tablet. No aspect ratio stretching despite the fact that my tablet is 16:10 and not 16:9, no unresponisve inputs. I suppose it helps that I'm using a bluetooth keyboard to play, though. I must say, the ads can get quite annoying, though removing them is cheaper than buying the app before sega forever. Otherwise, it seems to be exactly the same as the taxman port before.

9. DecadeW Climax

DecadeW Climax

When is this happening? The SEGA Forever version fixed the multiplayer so it's worthwhile to update. Also, can you put in the word to add a black bars option for phones with an aspect ratio over 16:9? On SEGA Forever, the top and bottom is cut off to fit the screen, whereas the old version has black bars, which I prefer. Thanks for visiting Retro though!

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So the original paid version runs fine on my Moto G5 Plus but the new version runs at less than half speed

11. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Hi folks, apologies for the delay in getting back to you all.

Rest assured that while there can be teething problems in updating old SKUs, we are committed to fixing any bugs that arise when they're reported. Reporting through official channels ([email protected]) with details of your device and firmware allows us to recreate the issues to find the source of them. As we can't test every device and firmware out there (especially on Android), we appreciate your help in reporting any bugs you find.

Hey Turbohog, if you have any issues to report we'd really appreciate you sending your feedback to [email protected] along with your device and firmware details. This means we can replicate the issue and fix it. With so many devices on the market it's difficult to have perfect compatibility. We're striving for it, but we need feedback to do so.

Hey ICEknight, as above, if you're having any issues then please report them to [email protected] and we'll get right on fixing them.

Hey Chris, as we can't update the original version on Google Play, you can still access it from your purchase history. Hope that helps.

Hi Jeiku, these issues should be fixed in the latest update. Please let us know if you're experiencing any issues via [email protected]!

Hi NoNameAtAll, if you could send us more details on the Sonic The Hedgehog level select bug we can get right on fixing it - we just need some more details about it from you. I believe the screen issue for Sonic The Hedgehog 2 should have been fixed with the latest update, but if not, please let us know via [email protected].

These issues should be fixed in the latest version, but if not, please contact us at [email protected] so we can get on fixes!

Hey JoePro, the slowdown issue some users have been experiencing should be fixed with the latest update. If you have any other issues, please let us know via [email protected].

Hey DustArma, as I've mentioned above, this should be fixed now!

12. JoePro

JoePro

Just got the update, and the slowdown issue is still there.

I have an LG Sytlo 2 Plus.

Edit: also worth mentioning is something minor I noticed: it seems that the credits music uses a recording from mega drive hardware as oppossed to the revamped music the rest of the game uses, with the remastered drum samples. Not sure if it was always like this or not.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Thank you for at least engaging with us Caffeinedreamer, it has to be said - I think a lot of people would have run screaming from the board after that first lot of feedback =P Don't take it personally, the membership as a whole is extremely passionate about Sega titles and just want the stuff to be the best it can.

14. Jeiku

Jeiku

Latest update did fix most of the problems I had with it before (the only one now being that pressing down seems slightly harder than before, especially compared to pressing other directions). Though now I'm getting Sega ads during start-up despite having paid for the game.

And yes, your responses are appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to address our concerns.

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    So... the premium version will be updated to include the same fixes, but it also can't be updated?

16. Turbohog

Turbohog

Also, why the hell wouldn't Sega be able to update their own game on Google Play? Makes no sense.

17. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Yeah, it really sucks that they want you to buy it twice. What if the current version gets dropped as well and they ask you to buy it yet again in the future?

Google Play is such a mess compared to Steam. Valve just wouldn't allow this kind of bullshit.

18. RibShark

RibShark

This new version of Sonic 2 is running at what seems like half-framerate on my Moto G5S Plus. I know you said it was fixed, but I'm running the latest version and it's still happening.

Also, having to buy Sonic 1 again just in order to get achievement support without ads sucks. Could this not be backported to the original version?

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    *bump*

The android version of Sonic 2 got an update back on the 30 January, which seems to have gone unnoticed by everyone on here including myself.

I've played a few zones from the new version today. It appears to have fixed the issues I had with the controls in the previous SEGA Forever version (sometimes Sonic would stop moving for no reason, or wouldn't move at all when I pressed the touch-screen controls). It now plays more like the StealthTax version when it was first released back in 2013, AS IT SHOULD!

Doesn't look like iOS has received an update since December.