don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I know what you mean, but I wouldn't really put Colors and Lost World's talking on the same level as Forces and Heroes. It was a lot more passive in those games (I don't believe they even got accompanying text/subtitles) compared to characters actively talking/shouting and reacting out loud to the on-screen events. Although to clarify, I don't dislike the voices in any way but I do feel it somehow makes things feel... I dunno, claustrophobic? There's probably a better word I'm looking for. (On the flip-side, Crisis City in Generations felt dead without Jason Griffith's amazing observations, so it goes both ways for sure.

and yeah, I did contradict myself saying 'any Boost games' despite it being in reference to Forces' talking but youknowwhatimeantwhetever :v:

2. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Not at all. I enjoyed the game and replaying the levels. Can't really debate it because didn't care to play Generations past the bare minimum it took to beat the game and I skipped Colors. I can say since earlier 3D Sonic games it is an improvement since it the levels aren't completely linear, and for one reason or another I clearly liked it more than Generations or at very least was more engaged since I actually cared to replay levels and go for completion. Can't get in a nerdy debate about why I feel this way, though. It does make me want to go back and try Colors, since even back then people seemed to sort of kind of like it.

I know as far as aesthetics go I hope that SEGA will keep up with making these levels so visually impressive. I can say for a fact that much is an improvement.

3. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Sonic Forces you to keep fit because Sonic fans are synonymous with real life free running.

http://youtu.be/K3uXvghgr3o

4. [​IMG]

And just when I was starting to think that these were actually cool.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've got to agree that the Ghost Town music track sounds great (even though it may be more SEGA System 16 than Mega Drive, perhaps?) but yeah, it really belongs somewhere else.

Would have fit very nicely as the menu music in one of those SEGA Vintage Collections that M2 made last generation.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
  7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Not gonna bother watching it, but I guess he hated it and made fun of the fanbase?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Bingo you got it. But despite liking the game I enjoyed the piss take.

9. Gammatron

Gammatron

Same. I mean, he's not really wrong about the game, either. It's just that his gimmick is that he exaggerates everything and likes nothing.

Of course, I also have a high tolerance for mediocre shovelware. If I wasn't, I would like Sonic games, hey-o!

Jokes aside, I don't think Forces is terrible, but I wouldn't call it a good game, either. It's just aggressively mediocre. It's not something like Sonic '06, Secret Rings or Shadow the Hedgehog where playing the game is akin to torture and is banned by the Geneva convention as cruel and unusual punishment. The game isn't frustrating and is nowhere near as tedious as something like Unleashed or Heroes. It's just extremely shallow and lazy.

Speaking of Unleashed, it's a pretty good contrast for Forces. We all know Unleaashed's daytime stages are fun, but they make up a small portion of the game, and the rest of the game is very much not fun at all. Unleashed isn't a good game and is riddled with terrible ideas and game design, but by God they were trying their damndest. Unleashed had some amazing production values. They were really trying to make Unleashed a great game... but they didn't because ineptitude.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    >Praises Classic Sonic alone

>Thinks the modern stages are overly punishing and not completely easy

ok this guy's still clueless about Sonic good

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can kind of see where that comment comes from though. Modern does play better than Classic, but so help you if you try to do something the game doesn't want in automated sections (looking at you Metropolis Highway). It can be very unforgiving. Classic Sonic you still tend to have more reaction time and you don't go from like 10 to 60 in a second like the avatar.

Speaking of which, anyone else find it odd that the avatar is faster than Classic? I mean, obviously Modern should be the fastest but wouldn't you expect the avatar to be at speeds similar to that of Classic instead of Modern minus the boost?

12. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Speaking of the avatar, for some reason, I'd gotten it in my head that the Wispons were an invention of the Avatar character, and that was part of why recruiting him/her helped turn the tides of the war. Then I watched a few let's plays and no, Knuckles just hands him one. Now I'm left wondering what the resistance has been doing with such overpowered weaponry that brought them to a state of near complete failure.

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

Basically, the new recruit is special because he/she is the player and can keep up with the rest of cast.

They find modern Sonic and free him and get a second Sonic so that helps even more.

And more importantly, they discover the secret of the Phantom Ruby.

14. Gammatron

Gammatron

Well yeah, he's a video game critic, not a big Sonic fan, obviously. People who aren't big into classic Sonic don't frequently understand why exactly Sonic 4 plays like ass, so they aren't going to get how terrible classic Sonic is in Forces. It's the same kind of thing where if you're a big fighting game player and understand their game mechanics, it's painful as fuck to listen to anyone who isn't talk about them. Someone who knows nothing about fighting games work isn't going to get why Super Street Fighter II Turbo is a timeless classic and Shaq Fu is a steaming pile of shit.

It's also kind of impossible to be well versed in every kind of game out there and what people find fun is completely subjective. A big reason why people reviewing games on YouTube are way more popular than faceless critics at IGN is that you can kind of get a sense of what their tastes and sensibilities are. And they aren't expected to review literally everything so they have time to play a game more than 3 hours and actually develop an informed opinion on it.

So in other words, characters like Yahtzee or Jim Sterling can be entertaining but you also have to take their opinions with a huge grain of salt. Especially given Yahtzee's gimmick of hating anything that isn't Portal or Silent Hill.

15. Unbekannt

Unbekannt

Previously MiSHiKiS Member
    Something I noticed in one of the new Game Grumps episodes is that at one point, Arin mentions being given a copy early. But I thought they withheld early releases from the media. Were they the singular exception?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's possible they managed to pick up a copy early via a broken street date. Or Aaron might have sent him a copy due to the weird relationship the Sonic PR team has with the Game Grumps.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    If he did, then this is really the best possible outcome. The first Sonic game they like is the one nobody else does, and the one that a higher-up (well compared to them) sent them directly.

18. makoeyes

makoeyes

I have... So many mixed feelings about this game. In fact, wanting to talk about Forces is what brought me here in the first place. xD

Overall, I enjoyed this game. I beat it in 3 days and have almost platinum'd the game. It was fun, enjoyable and I had fun indulging my inner-child in creating my custom character.

But as I played the game more... And completed more of the extraneous stuff..

I felt angry. Like, I never noticed while in the swing of the game how short everything is, and as I replayed it, it just really drove home just how... Mediocre and hollowed out it was.

Then I saw how Super Sonic was in this game but not accessible. And I was soooo holding onto the hope that there would be an extra DLC story that would expand on what happened post-final boss, since the game teases you with that strange pushback from 100% territory reclaimation to 99.9%... Leaving Eggman 0.01% of the world. Hinting that he was still around and perhaps... It wasn't over. Because it's not like you saw anything from him or his fate from the final boss fight. Which was extremely bizarre. Nevermind that it was very similar to the Nega-Wisp Armor fight from Sonic Colors, if you were to just look at what happened in the boss fight, it looks like Eggman just exploded in his weapon.

But, it's now Nov 30, and still no word from Sega about Super Sonic or anything else. They've made sure to release that stupid meme shirt, though! Just. It's extremely frustrating. I was so looking forward to this game as it had so much potential and hype. And then from what I read several pages ago in this thread, this game was nothing but a rush job using patched together assets from Lost World and Generations while marred by corporate meddling and crunchtime deadlines. This easily could've become another Sonic 2006, but thankfully they didn't screw it up *that* much.

But it's just so frustrating. I popped in Generations to just get the feel of the gulf between the two games and it's... Like heaven and earth. Why would Sega deny Sonic Team the resources, money and time to create a game like that? Do they not see what can be done when it's not just a rush job trying to cater to every console out there?

Sonic Forces really didn't have to be mediocre. Right when I saw the price for it, I knew something was up. To be fair, 35-40 bucks for a game like this is pretty fair. But it could've been an awesome game. And instead it's just... This.

That.. Got me laughing btw. xD

What kills me though is how smack in the middle in terms of mediocrity this game is. Like, it does so many cool things. The soundtrack is wonderful. The graphics are amazing. Some of the nods to previous games are amusing. Episode Shadow was fun, for what little there was. Like. You can see an ambitious, awesome game hiding beneath the surface.

And then when you try to dive into it, you break your neck because of how shallow it is.

But you know, I respect Sonic Unleashed, and what they did do was incredible. Like, the daytime stages are wicked fun. I haven't been able to beat it yet, but those stages are fun. The Werehog is hell but. I dunno. At least there was effort and depth to it. Unfortunately some of said depth is a swamp but.. At least it's something? xD

19. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    From what I gather, the Sanic shirts were in the game data already, but Super Sonic was added into the game as a pre-release patch. It's not even been a month since launch yet so I'd say give it a bit more time. I'm more worried Sega will try to release it as a paid DLC rather than a late-but-free update.

20. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So I take it that this is the Sonic Heroes of boost games?