don't click here

Sonic drum samples

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by screwstache, Nov 10, 2017.

1. screwstache

screwstache

Belleville MI
    Sonic and Knuckles Soundtrack Reamastered
    So I was reading the page on what keyboards were used in sonic CD and sonic adventure, and I saw that a Korg m1 was used. So I went through the Korg m1 vst and found the snare that was used in sonic adventure's speed shoes theme. After that I want to to find more drum samples. Does anyone have the snare samples from the pal version of quartz quadrant present or the snare from palmtree panic bad future or even that clap snare from the u.s version wacky workbench present?

2. Nice, how about checking some other synths of the time and see if you can find anything? I know the Roland D-50 was hugely popular. This was the time of workstation presets (the early 90's) so it shouldn't be too hard to find stuff.

Here's some funny workstation stuff:

Dance acts like 808 state where obviously a big influence:

3. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    Sonic 3 and CD utilized many sample packs that were popular at the time, as well as the Korg M1, Yamaha DX7, and (I think) Roland D-50. One of the common sample packs used on CD and 3 was Zero G's "Datafile" series, which had a lot of famous and obscure drum breaks and samples. Funky Drummer, Amen Break, you name it, it had it.

As far as drums go, Sega usually ripped the sounds from drum machines. Some of the common drum machine sounds used in the classic Sonic games and other Sonic Team games (from my own observations) include:

- Akai MPC 3000 (Sonic 3K, Ristar, 3D Blast Chaotix, NiGHTS & Spinball; used by Michael Jackson and Howard Drossin for Sonic 3K and Spinball, respectively)
    - EMU SP-1200 (very common hip hop drum machine, was used in certain songs in Ristar)
    - Roland TR-808 (Sonic 1, 2 & Eraser)
    - Korg M1 drums (Sonic CD, NiGHTS)

And there's drum sounds from other machines and famous songs, but these are all the ones I know of personally, and I have every one of those drum packs used in the games.

4. QuirkyKirk

QuirkyKirk

I'm going to assume the drums from the Roland TR-808 are the ones from the beginning of the Sonic 1 & 2 title screens, and by extension, pretty much the only drums that Sonic Team uses when they make "Genesis-styled" music.
    They were even ported straight into Sonic 4, even though the rest of it sounded like [DEAD JOKE ABOUT DECEASED FELINES].

5. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    On that note, I'm glad the orchestral masterpieces word filter is still in place.

6. JoePro

JoePro

I saw this video, might be some help. Goes a lot into Sonic Rush.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW6kjV4Glsg

7. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Again, not every Sonic Team game used those drums. As I mentioned Ristar used a whole variety of drums, and Sonic 3, Chaotix and 3D Blast used the MPC 3000. The 808s were used extensively in Sonic 1 & 2, but were dropped after that.

8. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    The drum samples in Sonic 1 and 2 don't sound like the Roland 808 to me. Unless there were other samples for the 808 that I'm not aware of.

CD could have used drum samples from the Roland 909, a common drum machine in house music. But the M1 has similar if not the same exact samples on board.

9. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Sonic 1 and 2 def use 808s, but I think they were modified a bit. Then again, those drums could also be Roland or Yamaha samples, so it's a toss up. You're right about the M1 having 909 samples though. The M1 used some 808 and 909 samples in its library.

10. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    It's because they aren't from the TR-808 -- the games sampled a TR-626.

11. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Ah, right! I knew it was from the TR series, I just got the drum machines mixed up. My mistake. :P