don't click here

SEGA Forever: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (iOS/Android)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by caffeinedreamer, Nov 21, 2017.

1. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Hey folks, this is my first post here, so please go easy on me! I'm pretty new here, but I've been around the SEGA and Sonic community since '98. ;)

Disclaimer: I'm the community manager handling SEGA Forever amongst other SEGA mobile titles. We've just added the remastered version of Sonic The Hedgehog 2 to the SEGA Forever catalogue, so I thought you might like some codes for the ad-free version.

[​IMG]
    iOS (US/Canada) ?? http://sega.vg/Z2Zw30gCIWA
    iOS (International) ?? http://sega.vg/spF930gCIY9
    Android (Worldwide) ?? http://sega.vg/eSPG30gCISJ

iOS (US/Canada) [redeem from the App Store]
    NWF73AF93TKR
    RRRX3T776LNF
    L9NF9L47P7NX

iOS (International) [redeem from the App Store]
    9NHKT4YMH3E4
    4LYJJ93TE66A
    YY3LMKN7ALF4

Android (Worldwide) [redeem from the purchase dialogue in-game]
    GNXTGJ0Q0SN1B1WJEWKA5D8
    RD3LN7F7P9WXEUMVDZPGJ2L
    67FRQ36GZX1AJKF5JAED256

If you have any feedback or suggestions for SEGA Forever, I respond to everything sent to the SEGA Forever Facebook channel via the "Message" option.

If you're having any technical difficulties, we'd really appreciate a heads up via [email protected] detailing the device and firmware you're using.

Thanks!

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Woah, the community manager handling Sega Forever? Amazing to have you here! The codes are also super appreciated. Looking forward to giving the game a spin. :)

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Are there any tweaks, changes, or bugfixes in the Sega Forever version that would justify downloading it if I already bought the remastered version as a paid product?

4. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Seems all three Android codes have been redeemed. Congrats to those who got 'em!

Nice to have you here and thanks for sharing the news and codes, caffeinedreamer!

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Welcome to the site! Nice to see you here.

6. RibShark

RibShark

It's always great to see community managers interacting with the fanbase! Welcome to Sonic Retro!

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Thanks for checking in - great of you to provide codes for people who've not yet experienced this awesome remaster.

Great to hear you're interested in hearing feedback, too - I already bought the paid versions way back, but have a little feedback to pass on that I've seen floating around on Twitter etc. Apparently the SEGA Forever versions of both this and Sonic 1 stretch to fill the screen on an iPhone X rather than correctly adjusting their aspect ratio - the older versions didn't do this, instead preserving their aspect ratio while filling as much of the screen as possible. No idea if this is the case for Sonic CD.

The current solution results in messy, stretched graphics while playing on this device - any chance it could be updated to either correctly adjust its aspect ratio to fill the screen without stretching, or failing that be put back how it was in the older versions (i.e filling as much of the screen as possible without stretching the graphics, with black bars either side)?

Thanks again for listening - again, great to see you popping by to interact with the community.

8. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Welcome to the forum! It was very nice of you to offer some codes to us. I bought each on their respective launch day, but I really appreciate the sentiment.

Unrelated to the topic at hand, but a question for everyone: have the remasters always used the remastered music that Nakamura put out a few years ago, or is now just my first time noticing it? Each instrument (particularly the percussion sounds) sound much cleaner than the original versions.

9. caffeinedreamer

caffeinedreamer

London, United Kingdom
    SEGA Forever
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Covarr: If you bought premium on Android, you'll retain that version in your purchase history, which will soon be updated to include the same fixes. If you bought it on iOS, you'll automatically be updated to this version. You'll have to hit the restore purchase button, but multiplayer is finally working again (plenty of people playing now too).

McAleeCh: Yup, we're aware of this and on it. I get the feeling Sonic CD, Virtua Tennis Challenge, and Crazy Taxi are affected too, but I don't have an iPhone X to check myself. Have passed that along too in any case!

JaredAFX: Yup, this always used the remastered music - I didn't notice myself until recently either!

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Thanks for such a quick reply - great to know it's bring looked into! = )

One other thing - possibly outside the remit of this thread, but is there any way we can show support for a release of the Sonic 1/2 remasters on other platforms? Particularly after the success of Sonic Mania, it'd be great to see a wider release for these upgraded versions - I for one would certainly buy them again if they had a PC release!

If it's outside the remit of this thread, then sorry for going off-track - just had to ask as I'd love to see an official release of these on non-mobile platforms in future.

11. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, welcome to Retro!

Wow, those free codes went fast!

I've played through a few zones of the SEGA Forever version of Sonic 2 and it plays absolutely fine on my Galaxy S7. All extras such as Proto Palace, the eighth special stage and the level select codes etc work fine.

Hope the other classic Sonic games such as Sonic Spinball, Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine & 3D Blast (preferably the Saturn version) are added at some point.

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Wow, well this is awesome!

Sadly I have no actual productive feedback apart from more praise for bringing the good stuff to Mobile (seriously, keep up the good work), and it's great to see the initial issues got updates as I was worried about performance at first.

Anyways, if we're all shouting out out personal Santa wishlists, I'd love to see some rarer titles from outside the usual Mega Drive/Genesis library if it were doable, like Arcade, Saturn, Sega CD etc.
    Still, I understand that's easier said than done and even without those I'm loving the selection of games so far (I mean, once Dynamite Headdy is on there obviously :v: )

13. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Welcome to the forums, I already bought this ages ago on the Google Play store but it's cool others are able to experience said game with the free codes you provided. That being said, I know you have nothing to do with this but let your bosses know at SEGA that many of us would love to play this and Sonic the Hedgehog remake on Steam and home consoles.

14. PkR

PkR

SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
    Thanks for joining in.

This may be a little far-fetched, but since I saw Crazy Taxi among the ported games, I'd like to ask if Sonic Adventure has any chance of appearing on SEGA Forever, and if it does, which version of the game (original Dreamcast or later ports) will be used for it.

I'm asking this because all ports of Sonic Adventure we have seen so far are pretty flawed in comparison with the Dreamcast original (lighting, texture and sound quality, bugs etc.), and it hurts the reputation of this game because many people play the inferior ports thinking it's the same as the Dreamcast Sonic Adventure, which it isn't. I'd also like to let you know that we have a small, but very passionate community of fans of this particular game, who have developed various tools and fixed or otherwise improved the PC version with hacks and mods. I know at least a couple of knowledgeable people who would love to work on a proper port of this game.

Not hoping for much, but I'll be happy if someone at SEGA knows there is some demand for a proper port of Dreamcast Sonic Adventure, be it on SEGA Forever or elsewhere.

15. Speeps

Speeps

Yeah - I have to join in on that. Sonic Adventure DX is a mess of a port.
    If you ever plan on adding Sonic Adventure, it would be absolutely amazing to finally give the Dreamcast version some justice.

16. Sonikko

Sonikko

Bird Member
    Italy
    Hey, nice seeing a Community Manager here!
    I'm not having any issues with this mobile port, I've already bought the Sonic 1 Forever version and I'll get the ad-free version of Sonic 2 in a few days, SEGA Forever is a great initiative.
    I was wondering if there is still interest in releasing the SEGA Forever games on PC and Consoles since it was mentioned some time ago.
    We've been begging for a Steam port of the Sonic 1 and 2 mobile remasters for a very long time now, and I'd like to know if there's a chance we're ever getting them.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No, it's not the original music tracks released by Nakamura, it's the Mega Drive music specifically remastered for the remake.

This is nice to hear. I hope that Sonic CD follows through, since the plain Android version hasn't been updated in forever (even the Amazon app is more bugfix'd).

18. SF94

SF94

Tech Member

Quoted for next page. Definitely one of those people who would love to work on a better port. Any version, even.

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm gonna be blunt. I don't think the people behind Sega Forever are interested in making good ports. Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are now worse off than the original Taxman remasters. I'm also still mad I could never buy Sonic CD on Android since it hasn't been available for a year+. I really don't want a Sega Forever version of it instead either.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

20. JoePro

JoePro

What do you mean? These Sega Forever releases are the Taxman remasters, only now they are free with ads slapped on. If you buy the ad removal, it should be exactly like the original version of the app, right? Or is there someone else different that I'm not aware of?

On an unrelated note, any chance of brining the Sonic CD remaster to Google Play? It used to be on the android marketplace, but now that's long gone. Google Play took its place, but Sonic CD isn't on there.