don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog: Mecha Madness

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by StreakThunderstorm, Jun 24, 2017.

1. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Hello everyone. I'm back after a loooooooong time. I finished school, got a Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts with a concentration in Computer animation from the School of Visual Arts in NYC. Now that I have some free time, I wanted to get back into my fangame Mecha Madness. I hope that some of you remember it. For those of you new to it, this was its state before I abandoned the project due to time constraints with school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyY8xt_tK7k&feature=youtu.be

I've decided to bring it back in full 3D glory in UE4. I have a job doing VR in UE4 for a VFX firm in NYC but I really want to get back into making games.
    <removed>
    Above is my Patreon. I'm still going to do the project on the side regardless but some money will definitely make it happen faster. Got lots of bills to pay but I'd love to share the love I had for Sonic once with everyone along with the new skills I've acquired from school.

2. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

I remember this game, and I'm happy to see you back! I'd like to see where this goes... but, in general, taking money for fangames is really, really frowned upon.

3. By some people maybe. I don't see the issue with it. Though if you want to steer clear of any C&D's (Even if Sega hasn't done that to any Sonic fan game I've ever seen) you might want to rethink the way the page is set up to focus less on the fan game, lest they think you're profiting off their property.

What would the new game be like? Adventure style, Unleashed, something like Sonic Utopia?

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Is that what Meinukey has been helping you with in Unreal 4?

5. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So some quick first impressions: looks pretty cool! It's like a hybrid of Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush but on steroids. Some really cool flashy and slick effects and an awesome engine you've got there. Excellent work! Also follow the advice regarding the Patreon thing - everyone needs money but you don't want to get in to trouble. As I recall Joseph Waters (Sonic XG) did the same thing and we actually all worked together on here to advise him against it. Sega don't generally DMCA fangames but the general rule is that when money gets involved you become vulnerable to legal action, since if you're discovered you'll force their hand. Maybe augment the Patreon page to something more general?

Otherwise your fangame looks pretty fucking great, and keep up the excellent work.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I have removed the link to the Patreon. Please don't promote taking cash for unlicensed fangames.

7. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Patreon has been updated to be more general(Even though you deleted it) and not simply pertaining to the fangame. I have a team of people interested in working on this and we're all skilled and experienced working with UE4, C++ and Sonic physics in general.

8. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Worked on Sonic in Zbrush. Was going for a mix between modern and classic.
    [​IMG]

9. Felik

Felik

Reminds me of Sonic Runners' Sonic model aka chibiSonic.

10. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    https://youtu.be/enK-QtG-9lU

Final release for the clickteam version before all later updates move to UE4 build.

11. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    First, congrats on finishing SVA. Finished SCAD myself not too long ago. Good luck to us getting jobs (unless you landed one already, ya lucky bastard ;P)

Second, model work looks clean. Interested in your decision to go the 2D boost route, and curious to see how it works out in a 2.5D environment; will you be going more Rush styled or 2D Unleashed with spindashing (which, I guess you can say is Rush, but there's a few key differences I'd say)?

12. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Congrats on finishing SCAD! Proud of ya man!

UE4 has been a blessing to me. learning blueprints was the best thing I ever did when I broke my arm. I landed an internship a month after I graduated and now I'm working at 2 places. One of them is making VR applications for mobile development. We're working with the new HTC Focus. The other place is one of my professor's studios. He wanted to make a really simple platformer to get people interested in his characters/storyline.

I'm not entirely sure that I'll be going the boost route. On one hand, it would make fighting enemies that you are already stronger than much easier. On the other, it reduces the need for spindashing and whatnot. I'm already reworking Sonic Unreal Worlds in UE4 to actually work with versions above 4.6. It has actually come quite a long ways in a short while. I'm officially using the physics guide to make sure I get it right. Still wishing I had all the animations from Colors/Generations/LostWorld/Forces so I can get all the cool things working without having to waste time rigging up and animating an entire Sonic for the public release of Unreal Worlds.

13. Zphase

Zphase

I'm sure you thought about just using 2d sprites from preexisting sonic games; out of curiosity why did you decide to go 3d (2.5d) for Unreal Worlds?

14. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    It's possible to rip the animations, but I think you need 2011 Max and Damizean's old script for havok.

15. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    3D is easier to work with. Plus its easier to rip 3d assets out of the games. I just needed the right tools.