don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I like how the launch trailer has a big ol' graphical glitch that flashes in front of your eyes dead center;

[​IMG]

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Surprised nobody has posted some of the screenshots of the PC version's performance prior to the patch.
    Cobanermani456 got some pictures of the game crashing on his PC, and in the case of Franksmash_, Forces literally caused his computer to throw a BSOD:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aside from the game crashing after the first couple of levels, the framerate is also completely janky, according to Destructoid: locking the framerate to 60fps has the game running at roughly half of that speed (32fps) and locking the framerate to 30fps has the game run at 22fps. 22fps is also the locked speed that all of the in-game cutscenes play.

Needless to say, the user reviews on its Steam page were predominantly negative (screencap spoilered below). They've gotten only somewhat better since then.

[​IMG]

While Sega has been quick to send out the aforementioned patch, it seems it has yet to be seen on whether it fixes all the problems. Needless to say, it's still amazing to see Sega fuck up after the flack they got for sneaking in Denuvo DRM for Mania's PC release...

3. RikohZX

RikohZX

What boggles my mind is that most games I have that happen to have Denuvo don't have these sorts of issues, or if they do they're typically on the down-low.
    This means the efforts of the team that ported Forces to PC, and the work on implementing it into Mania, were inherently flawed and screwed up to begin with.

4. Pengi

Pengi

How is the Shadow pre-order avatar costume DLC distributed? Can Shadow's shoes/gloves be obtained without it?

5. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Game of the year if this actually gets released.

But even if not, holy shit my sides.

6. Linkabel

Linkabel

I posted this on my Twitter, but the game comes with a survey with really interesting questions. Mania also came with the survey so if you have either games then it will be a good idea to do it.

https://twitter.com/AbelMunizJr/status/927862747848572928

Your opinion is going to matter a bit more since it's going straight to the company.

Edit: Actually it seems Mania's survey went away so the one for Forces is the only one left.

7. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Well that's nice of them.

8. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    Alright, I dun usually tend to actually share my thoughts on these games, even Mania, which was freaking fantastic, but I simply gotta for this one.
    Sonic Forces fucking blows.
    I only got as far as Aqua Road with the avatar, but the journey was plagued the entire way with awkward, unresponsive controls, weird ass jump arks, button presses not being registered...it's awful. The most fun I've had so far was with trying to make a decent-ish looking avatar with the clothing options at hand.
    THE CONTROLS! Everything I do practically feels like a chore, movement is slow at start, then it just kicks up to max. Sometimes momentum seems to carry with a jump, sometimes not. The homing attack for Sonic is simply broken, 'nuff said. Trying to complete that Zavok battle, which isn't even hard mind you, took me multiple tries simply because the reticle wouldn't show up making Sonic double jump and boom, I'm hit.
    I'll be playing more at a later point, but jesus christ on a stick, I'm in no way impressed with Sonic Forces in-so-far.

I think i'll be doing both of them, thanks for the heads up.

9. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

What's up with these icons? Like, getting the Lost World numbers made the icon for it get lit, but what did this actually acomplish? And what's with the moon?

[​IMG]

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

No problem, let us know if Mania still has it. Not sure if mine is not showing anymore because it was time sensitive or because I did it on launch day.

11. Shaddix Leto Croft

Shaddix Leto Croft

Goodbye *Mwah* AND GOODNIGHT Member
    Not sure how to get access to this survey when it's on a PS4 dashboard and I don't own one :colbert:/>/>

I say Sonic Forces may be the most underwhelming and boring Sonic game I've played in years. I've been playing since Saturday morning with the Nintendo Switch version and I haven't been enjoying it one bit to a point I got so frustrated I accidentally cracked the corner of my Switch this afternoon (I don't normally rage over a game but this pushed me over the cliff with bad physics/automation). The levels I wouldn't mind much with some of the stages looking geninuely pleasing to the eye but the level design is so atrocious at times it felt like a chore to play though rather than being fun game to play like previous Sonic games (Colours/Mania/Generations/Unleashed Day).

I really like the music so far for the Modern and Avatar stages but the worst offender has to be the Classic Sonic stages which sound so grating to the ears. The melodies to the actual tracks are nice but with the faux Mega Drive sound going on, it just sounded really bad after being treated to the Sonic Mania soundtrack by Tee Lopes.

If you really want this game but don't want to pay full price buy it at one of the many Steam Sales instead. It's not worth the £35/25 asking price really in my opinion and put that money towards a better game like Mania! :D

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

Not discounting your issues or any of the numerous rest, but it seems Sonic Team made the decision to make it so once Sonic jumps, he can't "turn" a homing attack towards anything else in this game. Which means he only attacks what was infront of him when he jumped.
    No wonder Zavok's the only proper 3D Modern Sonic boss fight in the entire game, because for how tightly Sonic moves they just did not make the game for situations like that in mind. Plus the actual hitting of Zavok basically requires you don't hit the homing attack as soon as possible or try to jump to evade his slams, as it just fucks up the chance to hit him due to only being targetable shortly after in specific circumstances. Great game design, ST.

13. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Last Life Club - 3/10

Destructoid - 5.5/10

Both reviews also criticized the Switch version in particular is not up to scratch compared to the other versions, a point also reflected by Digital Foundry's analysis of the game's performance across all versions (PC version not included in analysis, game's performance on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are also reviewed).

With that said, DF also note the other versions aren't perfect either, such as the Xbox One version only rendering at 720p, no improvements playing it PS4 Pro, and the Xbox One X being an oddity of different rendering resolutions (some levels render at 1800p, other levels render at 1080p) and improperly scaled stages. As for the game itself....DF said they weren't impressed, and considered the game something of a letdown.

14. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Sonic Stadium - 4/10

There's a second opinion in Stadium's review that also trashes the game. Man, these reviews aren't going well so far.

So Sonic Forces seems to be the expected dumpster fire and the brightest notion we can hold on to is that it "could be fun with copious amounts of alcohol for a few hours one night". Reading these reviews Forces seems to have the edge of Sonic Adventure 2 but with atrocious controls and game design and no good Sonic/Shadow levels to save it whilst also drained of the colour, magic and energy of Colors/Generations i.e. good game design. The scores are coming in lower than I expected and I didn't think that was possible.

Out of interest, anyone having fun with it? Tempted to try the PC version but these scores are swaying me against it.

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Today's launch stream was noticeably more reserved than Mania's.

I'm most anxious to see the sales figures next quarter. Most of us weren't expecting stellar reviews, but when did that stop ShadowTH and Sonic 06 from selling over a million copies each? I'd like to think after RoL, fans are more weary. However, this attempt at edge, custom character, and playable Shadow may sway enough of that sect to get on board.

16. Is 5/10 "mediocre" now?

I've always thought below 7 (70%) is "mediocre" or average.

I haven't played the game yet but I guess I never expected it to do much less than mediocre...to me that meant it would average something like the low 60% range. Games like that are not day one purchases for most folks. They're "bargain bin" games. So far Forces seems like it'll actually average in the 50-60% range, which says to me that its not worth it unless its a rental or free copy.

And yet I still don't think the game looks like a "dumpster fire", as 360 put it. It doesn't seem horrible. Just, again, mediocre.

2/5 and 3/10 seem low for a game that isn't broken. Those are scores I'd expect '06 or Boom to get. Those are dumpster fire scores.

Forces has spots in which you can see potential for the series,at least in a limited capacity, even with the avatar. But the execution sucks. Its biggest crime is that its bland. Everything works as intended (barring the day one bug/patches reported)...but its altogether bland.

At this point though, I do have to wonder what's next for Sonic. I'm a bit nervous at the moment because SEGA historically has not responded intelligently to these kind of results. Well, I mean it was smart to run as far away from '06 as possible but my point is that they don't ever learn the correct lesson.

Also, for the love of GOD: If anyone from the company reads the destructoid review and suddenly thinks its a good idea to ask the current Sonic Team to make a Sonic-styled Odyssey game....please just stop. Lord help us all.

I do want that kind of game but not with the current Sonic Team in the driver's seat. Keep Iizuka and company away from the good ideas.

17. Frostav

Frostav

Honestly the "plot" is the most confusing thing to me about this game.

Like...literally nothing happens in it. There's no plot twists or amazing revelations, or anything in it. I'm not even sure I can call it a plot. It's a bunch of disparate scenes completely and utterly divorced with each other. If you watched the cutscenes on their own they wouldn't even form a coherent narrative, unlike in both Adventure titles. And that would be, like, fine if the plot was an excuse to string levels together, like in Heroes or Lost World/Colors. But no. They marketed this thing as having an in-depth serious plotline, but what little "narrative" exists is so threadbare that I honestly have trouble even using the term "narrative" to describe it.

Like if I were reviewing this game then I'm not sure I would grade the plot at all. It's just not even there. It's like they said "the plot will be serious" and then they did literally nothing besides that.

18. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    It appears to have been time sensitive, it appears nowhere on my dashboard, shame really.

That explains a lot actually, I've been trying my best to "adjust" to these controls, but it's particularly tough. I swear each time I manage to play somewhat well, it's a total fluke instead of skill. :v:

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

And yet again those reviews suggest that Unleashed was bad. ugh. I think it had the best level design and presentation of any of the boost games. Forces shouldn't even be compared to it.

20. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    It didn't. 2006 sold 870K at the end of its fiscal year (six months after release). Close to a million, sure, but it was certainly wasn't over at that point in time; and despite their respective complaints, Shadow and Unleashed shifted more copies in the same amount of time in comparison (1.59M and 2.45M respectively).

Critical and commercial reception for Sonic games have been terrible this gen outside of Mania and technically ASRT (as it was released on Wii U). Part of the low sales does have to do with the Nintendo-exclusivity partnership (and regarding console Sonic games, the underperformance of the Wii U); but at the same time, Sonic sales are selling poorly on a console with a high attach rate (Wii U has 13M+ sold hardware units, but total software sales aref nearly 100M) and a handheld with a roughly 70M+ installbase.

You also can't ignore the competition and release climate. Forces is also going up against better-received platformers like Mario Odyssey, Cuphead, and Crash N-Sane Trilogy alongside Sega's own Mania. It will also have to hold its own against general heavy hitters from other genres this holiday season, like CoD, Star Wars, Pokemon, and Assassin's Creed.

There are a bunch of excited commentators on websites and YouTube (and reportedly an audience in Japan as well) who have expressed interest in the story and the Custom Hero aspect. But given the history of previous games and other games that exist or will be released in the market, do you really expect those people to be enough of an audience to sufficiently support the game, if they even plan to in the first place? Especially so with how reviews from critics and fans alike are turning out?