don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I didn't mean he would overthrow Eggman. I meant he would kind of go off and do his own thing, being tired of all of Eggman's bullshit, but not going out of his way to mess things up.
    Although Omega doesn't seem to be too fond of Eggman's empire after breaking away.
    I definitely think Metal would still be a rival to Sonic, just on his own terms.

2. Fantastic post. I'm drooling in the middle of a work-related seminar.

3. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I would also like to chip in, this is an excellent post, I completely agree with it.

I definitely want a Mania 2 with completely 2D graphics and all-new zones. The Mania team has proven themselves exceptionally, and I think it's the logic step forward after a game with only four original (and well executed) zones. But thinking ahead... I like this concept of making with a 2.5D game with perfect 2D physics, and expanding it into 3D. I think Sonic Fan Remix is a perfect example of such a game; though I don't remember if it mimicked the classic physics well enough.

4. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    There may not be anything behind the mask, it might just be how he's designed.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No in the Shadow DLC cutscene he has no mask at one point, but he's always shown at back angles and such. But you can tell it's not on.

EDIT: on the 3D subject, would anyone here be ok with a graphical style similar to Mania's special stages? Obviously it would need to be beefed up a bit but I think it could work

6. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Basically all of the cutscenes at least from what I noticed in the PS4 version I have are pre rendered. They swap between real time and pre rendered when Avatar is in view basically. As to why I have no clue. Clogs up more space then having the real assets in there. Doubt PC version will be any different.

7. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Honestly, I don't know. I can't easily imagine a 2.5D game with that style, although I LOVED Mania's special stages. It's an interesting approach, one that Team Mania may already have some experience to tackle on with.

8. I think that would be cool, but a bit too niche for a mainstream audience. Mania style with 2.5D could work really well, but the art style would have to be absolutely spot on - A perfect re-imagining of the sprites in 3D. I'm thinking a similar approach that S2HD took, where they captured the essence of the old JP box art.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I hope that isn't the case at least with Episode Shadow.

How could you tell the cutscenes were pre-rendered? they all looked real time to me.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Dunno if it's been covered already, but Infinite's backstory from Episode Shadow is fucking ridiculous. He was a leader of a mercenary squad working for Eggman ("Squad Jackal", that might be the species he is); he tried to fight Shadow alone after Shadow defeated the rest of his squad (off-screen), proclaiming himself as the "ultimate mercenary". He (predictably) got his ass handed to him and Shadow mocked him as worthless and pathetic before leaving...and he got so butthurt about it he cries about not being weak and scared, and that's what led him to become Eggman's Phantom Ruby guinea pig, pick up that helmet, and become an powerful supervillain lackey to Eggman.

That's literally it! No bullshitting! (Here's a video of the entire Episode Shadow DLC playthrough, by the by.)

(Actual quote: “I'm not weak...I'm not weak! I'm NOT WEAK!! UUUUAAARGH!”)

And yet even though his beef / start of darkness originates with Shadow, the extent of their relationship ends there. They don't interact in the entire game at all, Shadow is mostly absent while Infinite spends most of his time fighting and taunting Sonic and the Avatar.

All of this hype and promotion behind a villain who turns out to be the way he is because he is a because he is a crybaby punk bitch. This is some shonen anime villain fanfiction bullshit. Hilarious bullshit, mind you, but bullshit nonetheless.

That pertains more towards similarity between the two playstyles in their level design (which I absolutely agree with), rather than the gameplay mechanics and focus (though in the latter, it can be argued both are exactly the same).

11. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    The one with classic sonic meeting tails. Looked like it has some compression artifacts to it. I really hope it is just my eyes playing me. But any cutscene I saw without the Avatar looked more blurry to me.

12. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sorry, but... what? From 2:38 to 3:20, an entire section of the level is just made of objects, with no terrain? What kind of level of laziness is that?

Also, Episode Shadow is only twenty minutes long? :|

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Like the DLC from Unleashed or the challenges from Generations, it uses terrain from the main game. Objects are loaded on top of that for substantially different layouts without having to store separate versions of the level itself.

14. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Fuckin' hell you can't make this shit up. I wouldn't even call this fan fiction its just so trite. The "dlc" is just a bunch of stupid level shit we were all expecting but the text transitions and that cutscene is just too much. He's just some animal punk Eggman hires out who gets butthurt about getting is ass whooped and it raises more questions than answers. We still don't even know the where the Phantom Ruby comes from. :ruby:

15. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    ...Why is Eggman hiring animals? Wouldn't he just Robotosize them?

16. Hmm......I actually don't have a problem with this and Im one who generally doesn't care much about stories in the franchise. And you know why? Because I'm not all like "whoa this gaem is srs bizness" in my mind as I watch it. It's a stupid kids game plot. (I know you're not either, but follow me for a sec).

Do I think Sonic plots can be done so, so, soooo much better than this, even with a more simplistic goal? Yeah, I do.

To me, it's just stupid---er--"fun". You can have fun with this sort of thing if you don't at all take it as "whoa this gaem is srs".

It's not good writing, but for me it officially becomes bad when the writing starts contradicting itself, or poor efforts to "take itself seriously" like giving a little girl aids and murdered by the government, and then her grandfather tries to blow up the earth in retaliation. The tone of this game isnt as light as the previous few modern sonic entries, but it's still pretty whimsical compared to the garbage we got from SA2-'06. It's not trying that hard, and I think it's better for it.

....Although it still sucks....

17. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Wasn't there supposed to be more of those promotional comic things?
    Maybe those will come out after Forces and sort some shit out.

18. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I think the fourth one is coming out tomorrow.

19. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Cool. Let's not pretend that we have the whole story then. Maybe everything does make sense after all.

20. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I wasn't expecting zero explanation for why Shadow seemingly did nothing throughout the plot. Why bother showing Sonic get his ass kicked by Infinite and his illusions (which he never thinks to use again in any of the fights against him) if you're not going to show anything that couldn't be seen in the main story? I watched all the cutscenes and Shadow's whereabouts are never discussed. Is anything revealed in one of the map conversations?

It's probably because it was happening in 2D instead of 3D, but I only just realized that that light speed dash-esque homing attack is the same one Sonic could use on certain strings of enemies in LWU's Desert Ruins Zone 2 and Sky Road Act 1. So that's two LW mechanics brought back. I wonder what else carried over.