don't click here

OPM/OPN Patch Stockpile

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by bookman the stinky, Oct 30, 2017.

1. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    First off, if this is better suited for technical discussion, mods do your thing.

Basically I think it'd be neat to have a stockpile of custom patches or people making either custom tunes for ROM hacks or just nice FM covers of existing tracks. This could be a good way to spur variety in ROM hack soundtracks, and also bring people to share the fruits of their hard labor or general dicking around for all to enjoy. I'm not entirely sure how to unify the format of these patches, since people use different tools that generate different files (Y12, TFI, OPM, etc), so I guess we could upload those patch files, upload a short soundbyte of what the patch sounds like, and/or post a screenie of the parameters in your editor of choice for those without access to the tools to open them.

A NOTE TO THE UNINFORMED

The YM2151, although very similar to the 2612, does have some different parameters and interval values that will prevent patches designed from one chip to sound 1:1 on the other, but not too dissimilar for the sound of the instrument to be completely lost. Unfortunately it's been a hot minute since I've had to translate one to the other so I can't tell you which does what, but once it's figured out that's going to go here.

ANOTHER NOTE TO PEOPLE
    I don't want this being dumping grounds for existing presets found in MegaDrive titles, there already exists a massive stockpile of THOSE instruments that's been zipped thanks to a lovely person on KVR Audio although a mirror would be appreciated thanks to Mediafire's fall from grace.
    To my knowledge there isn't a good collection of 2151 arcade rips, so I guess collections of those would be nice if anyone has them. There was a fork of MAME32 that actually helped with that but I've yet to find it again.

In finalizing this post, it occurred to me that there's a possibility of this turning into a shitshow of people wanting all the credit for literally text that makes 4 sine waves sound not like a sine wave, so I want to make it clear that this is intended to be a helpful pool of fun things to help not just the SonicRetro community, but outsiders that so happen to stumble upon this thread.
    THAT BEING SAID, if users do decide want credit for the patches they've made, do the courteous thing and leave some sort of credit wherever it's due. TL;DR: DON'T BE A DICK

If this thread becomes some sort of a success I will edit this starting post and add/organize notable contributions, giving credit where needed. The next post is gonna be a bit of a template on how these should look and also me 'bootin to the pile.

2. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Buzz Lead

This is something shitty I made for a cover and I'm just gonna stick with it till I feel like tweaking it again
    Preview (bet you'll never guess what I'm trying to cover)
    Patch data:
    [​IMG]

3. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Sounds like
    the Mettaton theme from Undertale.