don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic Colors had 6 worlds with 6 stages each. That was actually less diverse. It's between Colors and Lost World in that regard. Worse than Generations though yes.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

In the cutscene itself Eggman calls it that, it's basically a souped and customized one.

The fact that it's kind of snake-like ala Lyric makes me raise an eyebrow, but there's also the problem that he literally pulls out the Nega-Wisp strategy for a third time now. For fuck's sake it is the stupidest, laziest attempt at a recurring final boss I've seen, Generations may of had a terrible final boss but at least it was unique instead of recycling Colors' final boss yet again.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No I realize that, it's just fucking stupid that they called the final boss that. It's not that as the death egg was already destroyed plot wise. It's just an Eggman robot. They should have named it anything else. That's all.

4. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    So, after watching the cutscenes...
    Where the fuck is all bravery that Tails gets on his final boss from Adventure, when he learns to not depend on Sonic for everything? I mean WHAT THE FUCK!?

Something that a game can teach you, yet they decide to waste it. Morons.

5. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    You know, ever since Sonic Colors came out I thought it would be the beginning of a potential new trilogy for Sonic, and always imagined a sequel that would expand on Wisp powers, focus on more platforming, maybe even add Tails and Knuckles as playable characters...

But between this and Sonic Lost World, it's umm... it's definitely not what I had in mind when I asked for a sequel.

Also if you had asked me in 2008 right after Unleashed came out to imagine what a Sonic game in 2017 would be like this is DEFINITELY NOT what I would expect.

Ugh, fuck this series.

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

Well, yes. But i remember in the initial announcement they made it a point that the game was being made by the same people.

I imagine every member of Sonicteam doesn't work on every single game.

7. synchronizer

synchronizer

Then clearly only the intersection of people who worked on both Colors and Generations worked on Forces. :P

8. Frostav

Frostav

Fire all of Sonic Team and instill Mr. Lange and Murasaki as the head designer/programmer of a full-fledged Sonic Utopia. Only then can SEGA atone for this travesty.

I was earnestly going to put the "Square just shot themselves in the foot" copypasta with "Square" replaced with "Sonic Team" but I thought that would be a little TOO shitposty

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07z5dnNsNPE[/media]

This song is actually pretty nice. It could have received a better arrangement but I see Hataya's composing skills aren't rusty at all.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    After seeing most of the game, something clicked.
    I have a theory as to what happened with this game's development and put together this image for explanation.
    The following contains end game spoilers.
    [​IMG]

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

I agree that something happened during development that resulted in the game we got. But I don't think it was because of the removal of Boom Sonic. Boom Sonic was included in the promotional materials at first because:

1. He is part of the franchise's history now.
    2. There's an ongoing TV show.
    3. Fire & Ice was released and was considered part of the 25th anniversary that not only it got the logo on the cover but in Japan it got the anniversary crystal cube.

Remember, Sega knew of the disaster of RoL all the way back in mid-2014. Still early in the development of Forces that they might've scrapped Boom Sonic (if it was planned) and not affect the game that much.

Then there's the issue of that prototype people saw that had nothing to do with the boost gameplay.

In my opinion something else happened.

12. Jelq God

Jelq God

The resemblance is something I saw a few people point out as soon as the Avatar character was announced. The evidence is undeniable and I'm personally willing to believe this, though it'll probably be years before we get anything concrete. It's cool that we've got a new Mysterious Sonic Development History to talk about, though...

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    This is exactly the same theory that's been bouncing around in my head. I feel like it also answers the question of how a four-year game can look this shoddy, since I imagine restructuring the whole thing around the unexpected failure of the Boom game/s would be pretty taxing.

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    As a classic fan who also has some fond memories of at least a few of the 3D titles, I am essentially insulted by this game. I have no other word for it.

I liked the core premise of the story, using a SATAM like scenario with the core 3D cast is fine with me... but the execution is extremely poor. I can forgive the post adventure cast for all of their tropes and flaws. But 2006, hell, even Ryse of Lyric frankly had a much better story, and that is setting the bar REALLY low here. Everything interesting that was teased is handled in the dullest way possible and the plot itself is an incoherrent mess that makes Mania's tie in even more confusing.

The level design is patchwork playable at best, offensively corridor narrow otherwise. I mean, good lord does this look thrown together without a bit of care. 30 stages of patchwork levels.

The music is fine. Flawed, but I can enjoy it. A poor showing after some great tracks in Mania, but eh, I don't hate the OST. I like the lyrics in most of the vocal songs even, but find the poorly rendered Genesis style tracks to be yet another "missing the point" attempt to capture nostalgia ALA Sonic 4 Ep 1.

The visuals are fine, but suffer due to the patchwork nature of the level design. The recycled elements from Generations are, again, downright insulting.

This has to have been a low budget title thrown together in a year. There's no other way this could turn out like this. Clearly something happened to whatever other prototype they may have had in mind that just didn't pan out.

What a tragedy. Even S4 Ep 1 looks more enjoyable.

Maybe I'll pirate the game or play it as a bargain bin title, but this really does need to flop, and that's a damn shame. They just can't get away with this after 4 years. If Mania didn't exist, I would walk away forever after this game. They could've literally given us generations 2 with all new remade past stages and it would've been so much better than this.

15. Speeps

Speeps

What is Sonic Adventures?

Aside from that, I don't know how much it's done in Forces other than Egg Dragoon, but Tails nitpicking Eggman is pretty annoying. It looks really odd in comparison to how he was portrayed in Adventure, when he was pretty damn fascinated by the Egg Carrier:
    [​IMG]
    (Plus the idle clips "This ship's cool!" and "I wanna build a ship like this one day")
    But hey, at least here he doesn't spend the entire game with the Sonic that talks. Their circlejerking in the last few games got old real fast.

Also, this:
    [​IMG]
    The fuck is he cowering for? In Adventure he might've made a stupid face, but at least he moved out of the way.

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I come back from being super life busy, and from what I'm reading.....Damn , I'm so disappointed that I don't even feel like wasting time to watch gameplay videos....

17. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I've been skeptical of this game from the very start, and I'm sad to see that my fears were completely justified.

Hell, it's actually even worse than I thought it was gonna be! It's like someone took all the very worst elements of Sonic and mashed them all together into an incohesive and subpar mess.

Let's see, we've got...

- Linear "hold boost to win" levels.

- The game trying to do too many things/too many playstyles at once, and not really succeeding at any of them.

- A frankly ridiculous story that's absoolutely nonsensical at times and completely anti-climatic.

- Hilariously bad dialogue throughout (that bit from Infinite that went something like "I will show you fear, then pain. And after that? Well, at least the fear and pain will stop" - holy shit I laughed so hard at that). Some of it being Heroes-style cheese about the "power of friendship" or whatever as well.

- Boring characters with only one personality trait each. Like Sonic apparently being held prisoner for months and tortured; good opportunity to showcase a different side of his personality, right? Especially given the "dark" nature of the game? Nope, of course not, he's just gonna sit there cracking lame jokes instead! Tails is handed the perfect opportunity to continue stepping out of Sonic's shadow (a process that started, as others have pointed out, in Sonic Adventure) and what does he do? He bails.

- "Original the Character, do not steal", complete with clothing and accessories that make the character stick out like a sore thumb next to the rest of the cast because of how stylistically different they look.

- Unecessary Edge. I legitimately thought Infinite's theme song was a parody when I first heard it, for instance.

After Mania's success, reviewers are going to tear Forces to shreds. It's such a shame really, after everything that Mania did to repair Sonic's battered reputation; and I do think that this game coming in off the back of a fantastic package like Mania is making it look even worse than it already is. Mania set a ridiculously high bar and honestly outclasses Forces in every single possible way. It's nigh-on impossible to not try and comapre these two games, given that they were released months apart and are (tragically) linked together by story.

Can we have Sonic Mania 2 now, please? :(

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    After watching the end of the game, the brown handkerchief and sports tape hands/glovesfrom Boom Sonic are unlocked items.....in addition to Sonic's shoes. That says it all. They give it away. They basically unlocked the ability to CREATE Boom Sonic.

19. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    While Forces isn't looking as terrible as I originally thought, my advice is still the same:

Go buy Super Mario Odyssey.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]

So this was the real deal.