don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Is there enough VRAM space left to implement floor textures? I know Diamond Dust has distinguishable frozen floors, so I wonder if the lack of textures is just because of lack of space or if there's another reason. This is the one thing I really miss in the Genesis version, the flat tiles look kinda out of place with the nice pre-rendered graphics around them. I guess that slopes would consume a lot of VRAM space if they were textured.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Absolutely loving him doing this. Looking forward to seeing what he produces!

3. JoePro

JoePro

The fact that he's doing this is amazing. The fact he's a developer of the original game and is probably the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the code is even more amazing.

We gotta get him with the hacking contest. Or with Taxman and Stealth to make a remastered version. Or an account on this forum just to talk and take suggestions. Or anything. Bleh, I'm so excited for this!

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    For what it's worth he did ask the SHC Twitter account about the hack expo deadline yesterday.

Whether or not he submits to the contest's unjudged hack expo will be up to him, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't show up. I'm going to try and see if he could make an appearance during the Contest Week as well as I know many people have questions to ask about his programming and more, but again I can't guarantee anything, I can only ask.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Would he have an unfair advantage though? I mean he made the game and has the source code, anything he does is far beyond what most could do with S3D.

But seriously if he can add debug mode I'd be so happy. I'm really looking forward to this. Shame it's not the Saturn version though.

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Incorrect. The Saturn version runs at 60FPS at all times - save the Special Stages, which are at 30.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    As the hack expo is not judged it wouldn't be a serious issue. Consider this a once in a lifetime thing to happen, I doubt we'll see something like this happen ever again.

8. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Huh. Maybe sprites, etc. had been rendered at 30? Is that what I'm thinking of? I'm actually asking.
    I remember being surprised that it wasn't silky-smooth live like the Genesis version. Watching a 30fps-capped YouTube video versus playing (or watching) the actual game at 60fps, I couldn't see the difference, whereas I can with the Genesis games. Odd.

9. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    My only experience of a non-Genesis Sonic 3D has been via the PC release and via Saturn Emulation (god bless mednafen). Both cases I seemed to be getting 60fps out of Sonic 3D. I do wonder if legit Saturn Hardware would give different results though.

10. JoePro

JoePro

I've always wondered this, and it probably won't be a bad idea to ask him, which version does he consider to be the "true" version? Is it the Genesis version, being made first and with the game originally programmed for the system, or is it the Saturn version, with the expanded color palette and CD music?

And what is the "true" title, 3D Blast or Flickies Island? And why are there different titles anyway?

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm fairly sure it runs at the same speed as the Mega Drive version... which for the most part means 60FPS.

But you have to remember that the Saturn has VDP1 and VDP2 doing different things and refreshing at different rates, so you might have some of the special effects operating at different speeds. And a lot of the background animation updates at a slower rate too.

YouTube videos seem to suggest the special stages actually run at both 30 and 60FPS. Because the background, presumably controlled by VDP2, is operating at twice the speed as the 3D visuals. This is the case in things like Daytona USA too - a single number can be misleading for the Saturn (and the 32X).

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

I want to believe that Flickies' Island is the intentional name of the game as picked by Traveller's Tales and Sega of Japan (since that's it's EU and JP title). However Sega of America clearly wanted something with impact, and went with "3D Blast". After all, it's not the first time they've used Blast to market a Genesis product.
    (Only speculation, mind, but I'm sticking with it!)

I guess Jon Burton's lived in the US for so long now that he's used to calling it a 'Genesis' and '3D Blast' now, but I'm still going with my theory that Flickies' Island is the true name!

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There's no theory about it, it IS the actual name =P

And yeah, I wouldn't rule him out on the lines of him having source either - it's no different to having a disassembly, his is just better labelled.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's so they can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_H3sacVdyY

i.e., tag Sonic Blast for the Game Gear along for the ride.

They weren't very good at marketing things in 1996. Flickies' Island is the more "pure" name, but it's frought with issues - go count how many cases of "Flicky's Island", "Flickies Island" and "Flickie's Island" there are.

15. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I kind of hope he's able to implement these ideas into the Saturn version as well sometime since that's the version I grew up with.

16. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Wow, haha that's actually shocking and basically tricking people into buying a completely unrelated Game Gear title! That definitely makes sense though, I never thought too much about that connection before, daymn.

Now I'm hoping the Director's Cut patch gives the option to keep the 'Flickies Island' name even when running in 60hz (i recall the name changes internally depending on the region of console rather than it being a seperate ROM)

17. JoePro

JoePro

Oh, I think I actually have that ad recorded on a tape I have somewhere. I'll have to see if I can get a better digital recording of it and upload it.

But anyway, yeah I have to agree 3D Blast is just a better name. I don't think the average person would know what a "flicky" is anyway, and it doesn't sound nearly as exciting as "blast". After all, the game is a blast in 3D.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  19. I have a general question about ROMs since the Director's Cut is being released:

Of course we all know that SEGA is well aware and pretty much okay with ROMs and hacks of games they made or games developed for their platforms. But what would be the legal justification of companies like Nintendo trying to remove ROMs off sites even though most of the ROMs are games they didn't develop? Is it because they are games that were developed with their hardware in mind or have distributed ROMs in the past (ex: Virtual Console, 3DS E-Shop, NES/SNES Classic)?

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    That's just Nintendo being Nintendo.