don't click here

Sonic Panic

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Mega Spit, May 31, 2017.

1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    How did I miss this? It's looks really interesting with that vibrant art! I'll make sure to showcase this on my channel once available! :)

2. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

Oh, cool! Nice running into you. I've watched some videos on your channel before, actually. Didn't you preview Time Twisted before it was out? I might send you my game to mess around with beforehand too.

3. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

In the middle of updating some old zones to match up to the quality of the later zones. Right now, my focus is Forest Freeway. Before, it mainly just used regular old Wood Zone tiles, like below:

Old:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

But now I'm in the process of updating those old unfinished tiles to give them a little more depth and polish. I'm also adding some new tiles for a little more variety (something Wood Zone really lacked).

New:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

These are the kinds of things I'm doing instead of just releasing the game already.

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    That's the right thing to do, make the best of it before anyone has the chance to try it. Releasing the game with unfinished art and update it later, when everything else would be finished, would be quite a weird "demo" release.

5. Seyonix

Seyonix

Looks good, I can't wait until it's finished! The graphics look really nice too. It's always cool to see a fan game with new original zones and music.

6. FINALLY! You have no idea how much it bugged me that people would use Wood Zone in hacks and stuff, and they never bothered to fix the unfinished graphics with shading or anything. Nobody ever mentioned it, and I thought I was the only one who it was driving insane!

7. Broadway

Broadway

Hey there, guys. Forum scrub here. I've had the pleasure of working on the soundtrack for this game, and I thought I'd share some of what I currently have. These are all just a small section of what's to come in the tracks, and they are all also unfinished and subject to change.

Starworld Zone Act 1
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0jyHp48R-tbS1NyM2ZpMTkwU28

Eggman Empire Zone Act 2 (Updated version)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0jyHp48R-tbYmFZZndHQ0Y0QWc

Eggman Empire Zone Act 3 (Probably going to completely change.)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0jyHp48R-tbTlgtZXdmZmJKcGs

I'll probably be posting again when I have a few more to share.

8. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

Another level overhaul, this time it's the first zone, Panic Hill. (Now called Panic Precipice)

Old:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Back in 2010 or 2011 or whatever, I thought an updated Green Hill would be cool for a first stage. Now it seems like a pretty boring idea. So, I made the stage look like it originally did waaaay back in the day, only not near as shitty.

(Although it does follow the Game Gear Green Hill in that the second act takes place in water filled caverns underground. But I tried to make it at least look unique.)

9. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

The SAGE demo is up! This demo contains two full zones : Panic Precipice and Railroad Zone.

Download it here and let me know what you think.

10. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Played it. Nabad so far! But I did have some things I want to bring up that would make your game better.

-The air bubble generator generates the bubbles waaaaay too far low. Instead you should be generating them at the center of the object, and have them animate expanding. During said animation they can be unable to be interacted with, which fits better with how they work in the actual Genesis/Mega Drive games.
    -Moon running is a thing. This is an issue that plagued early versions of Sonic Worlds. You have it half-fixed (player will start braking after a second if you keep holding "forward" via a control lock) but you should also adjust the player's animation direction as well during the lock.
    -Enemies, aside from the basic green ground-based enemy, give no points when killed. I think you forgot to implement that for them.
    -The first horizontal red spring in Act 3 of Panic Precipice does not work.
    -You should consider adding a few rings around the checkpoint before the boss. Sonic 3K does this by putting three rings above the Star Post. That makes things feel less cheap if you die and have to try again.
    -Oh also, when you die to the boss:
    Code (Text):
    1. ERROR in
    2. action number 1
    3. of Other Event: Room End
    4. for object objTeleporter:
    6. Trying to delete non-existing sound.
    -Having shooting enemies use the "enemy destroyed" sound to shoot is baffling. There's a perfectly good shooting sound in the Sonic 3K sound set to use instead!

11. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

Noted!Most of those are easy fixes. I can roll out an updated demo today. I'm not sure what you mean by "moon running", though. And this isn't Sonic Worlds, so I wouldn't have heard about it if it were an issue there. I'm guessing that it's when you hit a spring to run the other direction but the animation doesn't turn, like moon walking... but I could use some clarification.

I'm embarrassed that the error is there. That's just stupidity on my part. I deleted a bunch of assets from later levels to make the demo filesize smaller and deleted something that actually went up being used. Whoops. I'll have that all fixed soon.

EDIT: All fixed aside from the moon running thing. Let me know if you find anything else.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hope y'all take the time to check this out, I had a ton of fun with the demo. As far as fangames go, this one offers one of the most classic-authentic experiences around when it comes to visual aesthetics and level design. It's got some solid tunes in the mix as well (not just the ones I worked on either :specialed: ). Well worth a download, and I'm super pumped to play the final game myself.

13. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    That's exactly what it is. It's like moon walking, but Sonic is in his running animation, hence "moon running". It was an annoying bug that exists in BTS/ATS and old builds of Worlds, until I put in the control lock like in the Genesis games. (Player input is overriding the forced change of animation direction, basically)

14. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

Big update:

After gathering up all of the criticism I could find on this game throughout various sources, I've come up with some updates that should make everyone happy. Using newer engines as a model, I've tweaked a whole lot of the variables and changed a lot of Sonic's physics as well as ironed out some minor bugs that people may or may not have noticed.

Fixes:
    -Adjusted Sonic's acceleration and turning to be much more similar to the original games
    -Adjusted Sonic's jump height to be slightly higher
    -Adjusted Sonic's top speed to be higher
    -Adjusted the sprite rotation angles so that Sonic won't flicker between angles for 1-2 frames while on certain slopes
    -Completely redid the spindash, making it more similar to Sonic 2

-Made it so that sideways springs will flip the player in the opposite direction
    -Changed the hit-box on the buzz saw of the first boss to be more accurate and forgiving
    -Fixed a bug where jumping after hanging on a rope would force the player into a buzzsaw attack
    -Fixed a bug where jumping onto the top of a sideways spring would bounce the player
    -Fixed a bug where the credits screen would sometimes change the screen resolution back to the default

If you tried the demo already and have some free time, by all means, please check out the new build. Even if you liked it before, I feel you'll like it a lot more this time around.

15. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not dead. At least not completely.

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Lookin' good, boss. Guess it'd be high time for me to finish those tracks lmao

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Going to have to give this a whirl when I get time. Screenshots look fantastic.

18. Noah Copeland

Noah Copeland

Can't remember if I played this at SAGE last year. Either way, I'm gonna check out the new build