don't click here

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimera, Aug 29, 2017.

1. EyeKey

EyeKey

And it seems that they didn't even bother to remove it from the code of the object itself:
    [​IMG]

So maybe it tries to play non-existing sound now.
    EDIT: nvm, I checked, they removed the code that triggers it from the PullChain object.
    Another EDIT: Maybe if you put the sound file back and create a static object file that sets the trigger to 1 it will always play that sound

2. Tanks

Tanks

I'd think it's best we keep a community standard around a single build, in this case Build Sept. 6 1.03.0831. We're certainly a big enough community and have the clout to somewhat enforce this. I'm sure SSRG would back it. Bringing the outliers into the fold wouldn't be hard once most people adopt it. And let's be honest, Pre-Dunkey Mode removal > Post-Dunkey Mode removal. :colbert:

Unless we get surprised by some DLC, I can't imagine there being any reason why this would affect anyone. I guess you can make support of newer builds a side project for ease of access later on, but it feels like the two of you have gone deep enough that it's not worth digging the same hole every time Sega's lawyers get panicked.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

I honestly didn't know the modloader was that advanced already! I guess I spoke without knowing all the details.

In any case, I vote we stick with the old version for now. Once the updates are clearly over (or at least once they slow down significantly), the tools can get updated again.

4. While I'd normally say keep it as is, the problem is they fixed an actual significant bug. Tails had issues actually playing FBZ Act 1 on the PC port as he would always fall during the large cylinder sections, and that big bug has been fixed (it's the most notable fix IIRC.)

I'm unsure of if or how the mod loader is gonna be handled tbh, as bugfix updates are kinda important and TaxStealth tend to like, update their games a lot....

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh ya I noticed that. Good to hear that's been fixed.

Ugh PC patches are almost annoying this way. They fix like 1 thing and it causes everything else to change for some reason.

6. Since the hacking scene for this game already got to work i expect to see my omochao edition in the near future :)

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Would it be possible to write a tool, or even integrate one into the mod loader, to streamline this process for Sonic Mania specifically? As long as we're gonna stick with the Sept. 6 build for now, I think making the process for staying there as user-friendly as possible could be really beneficial for the health of the modding community.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    For Mania, it can be condensed into a three-step process: open steam://nav/console, enter "download_depot 584400 584401 2423105704892348622", then put the downloaded files into the Mania folder. I don't know if Steam has an API for downloading files from their server though.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-zi8Gnnz0

To my knowledge this is the first actual level hack of the game... and they decided to recreate GHZ from Sonic Forces :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6KbLeGqet4

Oh there's this one too, that aims to recreate S3K's Hidden Palace Zone. This one's particularly interesting because it readded the Super Sonic mural. So were those tiles still in the game or has someone figured out how to add custom tiles?

10. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I can confirm that those tiles aren't in the original tileset.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Isn't adding custom tiles as simple as editing the GIF file?

12. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Sorry if I'm late, but I speculate the Dunkey Easter egg was removed because Sega and/or the developers did not have legal permission to include that sound effect.

13. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Yes, you can currently edit the pixel arrangement in any program that takes .gifs and edit the palette via the .bin if I remember right (as soon as that was found out some silliness occurred.) If anything I think people were just wondering if any other steps needed to be taken to add tiles. Which, I think, is a fair question since it seems like Mania has some values for collision tied to tile chunks (someone i.e. EyeKey please correct if false), but I guess for the most part it's as easy as setting a tile # to something else on the sheet?

That's pretty exciting honestly because it means we're even closer to custom levels than before. We could potentially make Angel Island a full-on stage. I'd be very okay with a sort of remixed opening where instead of Angel Island being "get here then you're done" it's a stage where you chase the heavies across the island and up to the Ruby they took. Sure it'd be weird going from Angel Island to Green Hill, but if AI is just one zone even, that'd be a neat way to extend the game a bit and have Angel Island actually in Mania :specialed:

Of course the real end goal is to just make Angel Island, and then Marbel Garden, Carnival Night, Ice Cap...

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

What I'm really curious about is not so much the stage tile and layout edits, but obstacles. Generations modding had a rather annoying problem in that whatever objects/items were in that stage, were what you had to use even if you could tweak models, sounds and so forth; hardcoding limitations and all that. Since I don't hack the game, just modify graphics for personal interest, I can't really tell if you could import things like the swinging vines/handles from later zones into Green Hill, or make entirely new objects like the bobbing spike logs or the rocks from S3&K that get broken by being jumped onto, or even Angel Island's "running up the tree trunk with a rotation" moment.

There's re-arranging things and altering graphics/effects, but making something entirely new is a different story.

15. Tanks

Tanks

For those that need the modloader right now and don't want to bother doing the heavy lifting MainMemory linked to:

1. Open Steam
    2. Open the Steam Console. For ease of access, you can do so by pasting this in your internet browser: steam://nav/console
    3. Enter the following without the quotes: "download_depot 584400 584401 2423105704892348622"
    4. Be patient
    5. Steam will poop out a location to your files in the console
    6. Back up your current files and copy over your new ones

The modloader should be working again.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

Alternatively you can put the old Mania files elsewhere. I have my modded files independent of the updated ones, and I even uninstalled the game and the modded, older download still functions entirely fine on its own since the game's still checking with Steam for Denuvo verification and thus doesn't raise a fit.

17. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Has any research been done of how cutscenes work? Your idea is amazing, but it certainly requires at least some tweaking of the opening cutscene. If cutscenes aren't so hardcoded we could do amazing things! (starting by restoring that lost Tails animation in CPZ1)

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    We have a method available by which custom objects could be implemented (the mod loader's DLL injection support), but currently we do not have the understanding of the game's object system necessary to actually create custom objects.

19. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    So Stealth mentioned my stuff.
    http://hcstealth.tumblr.com/

but he left some cryptic clues into what more there might be and what else things might do.

i did manage to find and put the Acetone in game. it works fine, but the other clues I'm not too sure on.
    https://twitter.com/Codenamegamma/status/913106783962505216

"It's a little complicated, but I'll tell you this - it involves another one of the tile planes. "

I have no idea what he's talking about I did stick in the missing newspapers and they have lots of Var's but don't seem to do anything. not sure what I'm missing here. but that printer is close to working 100% if I can figure it out.

The only other thing he said is
    "Also in a recent interview, I mentioned that the functionality of some bosses had evolved throughout development. It's a bit of a tricky setup, but you might just be able to find an earlier incarnation of one of them that didn't quite pan out. You've already found the original arena!"

in Egg Reverie Zone, there are whole sections of the level that go unused. as well as an unused boss fight spawned in Egg Reverie Zone. I managed to get in here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTHmo3l7MwM

so its ether Stealth didn't see it or that's not what he's talking about.

Does any know of what "recent invterview" Stealth might be refering too?

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'm guessing it's either the weird boss arena layout from Lava Reef beta or the unused Hidden Palace altar.