don't click here

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimera, Aug 29, 2017.

1. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    hopefully once we know how they work a bit better i can find a way to place more stuff in debug, sadly not much is known about the code but hopefully it will make a decent object spawner.

2. Frostav

Frostav

Woah, I did not expect people to be able to edit levels that fast! This is exciting as hell.

3. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    found the camera offset values.

i might make a small trainer to try and replicate the Sonic CD style camera but im not sure how much trouble that's worth.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vXNaf97Unc

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Well the answer has now been confirmed.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    They're still selling most of it =P

I'll be surprised if a full soundtrack doesn't appear separately a little down the line.

6. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I'd imagine the remixed tracks probably have a few legal hoops and royalties to jump through, particularly with Sonic 1 and 2, but I don't doubt it'll be given a full release once we're past that.

Meanwhile, back to mods...

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mv_2JMEvhc[/media]

Has science gone too far? Why am I not sick of this stupid meme yet.

Fair warning, just leaving the link as-is because the music mixes are exceedingly... childish, let's say.

7. WhoWhatWhenWhale

WhoWhatWhenWhale

Of course they wouldn't sell the remixes on the Original SoundTrack! That'd be stupid.

But on the other hand, if they were to make an Unoriginal SoundTrack...

8. This is strange, because act transitions no longer work if I complete the level as intended, or fly through the level to the end under Debug mode and kill the boss normally.

I somewhat strangely recall seeing the cut-scene pop off from GHZ -> CPZ but I couldn't control Sonic during the cutscene like we used to back in S3&K. But now that no longer works...every time I enter Debug mode, all the transitions and cutscenes are disabled.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The Mania Mod Loader has codes for that now.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

Too much time and effort was put into the soundtrack for it to not have an official release. besides the Sonic Youtube just stopped uploading tracks as of last week so something has got to crop up soon.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I secretly enjoy this, though the music needs to be more... fitting. Like this one.

Also it needs to tap into Sonic Adventure 2 because the lyrics there are far worse.

Also resizing Knuckles' frames of animation and sticking them over objects is lazy. If we're going to have a Knuckles rock, I want a damned knuckles rock dammit

[​IMG]

12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Sonic Mania's actually very easy to mod. I've been putting World's Amy Rose in the game, but she's pretty hard because the game has so many more frames of animation :v:

She looks good when she jumps though :v:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Reckonusm

Reckonusm

Chile
    I will try to redact and explain myself very carefully, because english is not my native language (is latinamerican spanish).

I'm trying to mod music into Sonic Mania, i watched a video tutorial which explained how to make the loops and that then, when i have the music looped, i had to use a "Mania Loop Editor" executable for setting the loop opints on the bin files and an RSDK executable to extract the data, get the music, create a folder in the Mods folder and put the music. The problem is that is very difficult to make loops in commercial, non-Sonic related music (i like to use latin music and electronica for when I'm playing).

Is it possible to just convert my music into ogg and set the loop points to zero in the bin files, so the music act like in the Sonic 3 HQ Music dll? (where the music doesn't loop and if the game plays invincibility music or the 1up jingle the music starts playing back from the start). Having to try to do loops is very difficult if one isn't a musical expert and i get tired already of the normal ingame music. And also, is better to do a copy of the bin files in the mod folder and then edit the loop points of that files than modify the original files?

Thanks in advance and sorry for whatever grammatical or ortographic error. Is the only thing I'm interested to mod in this game, i want to replace Sonic 3K with Mania as my main Sonic game, but changing the music as i can with Sonic3K in PC is integral for me for having a good experience.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Was linked this hack earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T6jVIgu9ro

As an unashamed StC fan, this is lovely to watch =P

15. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Was this one linked yet? It's amazing, they even redrew the Blue Spheres sprites and added a special stage 3D model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FADWfgBwNE

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZbWXPp46s

Oh wow this cut boss actually functions.

Would have made a good Act 1 Boss for Flying Battery Zone, surprised it wasn't used there.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hope Taxman comes by and clears up as to why the boss was cut, it looks like an awesome homage to FBZ's act 1 boss.

18. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    This would've been neat to beem save jn instead of being scrapped. One could've done the Hardboiled Heavy while the other do that boss.
    But yeah we would love to hear development story please

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm wondering if it was one of the bosses shown during the original pitch to Sega back when it was Sonic Discovery? That and given how the original end of act 1 seemed to be different than the final one, I feel like this boss was there originally instead of the HBH fight which is a bit more elaborate.

20. Spunodi

Spunodi

Is this also an Alex Kidd reference? Awesome :)