don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. There's a new 37.1MB update for Mania on Steam.

They haven't got rid of Denuvo just yet, so CPU usage is still terrible.

Edit: Returning to the subject of Blue Sphere, I've determined that A) it resets which one you're up to whenever you start the game, so if you've done none or all of them you'll start with the first Sonic 3 stage, otherwise it will start with the lowest numbered one you haven't cleared/perfected, and B) if you quit to the main menu and start the game again, the counter for which stage you're up to increments so you end up skipping one until it loops back around to it.

2. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Trying to get a good time on Hydrocity feels impossible. I really want to, but man the stage feels like it's almost working against me.

I still have yet to even finish a full run of HCZ1 because I just keep restarting out of frustration. It feels super goddamn precise to get a good time on that stage. At least the music is still jammin'.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'll say it again; if they remove Denuvo, I will buy the PC version (literally triple dipping).

Until then, nothing from me. It's absolutely absurd that this title strains CPUs (Yes, even APUs) in any way. They were projecting it to have very low requirements before the delay.

4. Frostav

Frostav

My god it is surreal to see speedruns that go through level routes I haven't seen at all despite having run through this game multiple times.

Also I've noticed that you can jump on downward slopes to gain ridiculous amounts of speed and I swear I don't remember that happening in the original trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFZwi2uwIc

^This guy does it at 1:25 to the end of the level.

5. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

That's the thing that pisses me off about Denuvo: They try pandering to people who might be in a position to be knowledgeable about the basics of computer architecture, and/or operating system design, people who would be in a position to evaluate if their claims are bullshit or not - and, in the face of potential evidence brought about by said people, the Denuvo folks seem to like doubling down on assuming said people are idiots.

Even if there are only so many calls per second during the game, those calls are still wasting CPU time that could be better spent on running the game efficiently... and don't get me started on the startup times. Lower end computers getting, I'd assume, even more noticeable issues performance wise than nigher end.... the impacts don't have to be big, or extreme, to be impacts.

6. The updated build of the game has now been cracked as well. Seven hours after the update was released on Steam. Denuvo was definitely a worthwhile investment for Sega.

7. IrnBru

IrnBru

How exactly does the crack work? Is it skipping Denuvo completely or is it emulating addresses for Denuvo to peek and poke at? I can record the cracked version of this game while it runs at a smooth 60fps to a 30fps file at full quality with Dxtory. When I use my mates steam version on this same laptop it lags a little bit ( and I do mean a tiny bit ) until it loads a new act, the frames really drop then, and then its back to 58-60fps again. It does not happen on the CPY version. If I'm not recording the game runs fine but my fans go a bit mental on the steam version.

If only there where mods on the PS version, Definitely my favorite modern controller for this game.

8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I really didn't want to ask for a refund, but with the update, my antivirus quarantined the game, and it won't run at all. I'm pissed, but at least I still have the Switch version.

9. Frostav

Frostav

I'm using a DS4 just fine on the PC version with DS4Windows. Give it a shot.

10. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I use a DS3 with the SCPToolkit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6tHt-IL_A). I find it better than Better DS3, when I turn on the DS3 it seamlessly connects with my PC, and it's ready to use. Gotta try with a DS4 as soon as I'm able to buy one.

11. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Another update and still no removal of Denuvo...

I keep telling you SEGA all you need to do for me to purchase the PC version is REMOVE DENUVO!

12. IrnBru

IrnBru

I shall give this a bash later, thank you.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So this was found in the files within the Lava Reef zone data:

[​IMG]

It's a chain. Is it possible that those metal structures behind the HBH fight and littered in the background of LRZ Act 2 are devices that are meant to keep little planet locked in place? If so the plot makes a little more sense. They show Little Planet in the background but they don't actually show it chained up. It could just be locked there.

Now that a dedicated Super button is a thing the only thing I wish they could have finished was the story telling. As is it's kinda lack luster and leaves a lot unexplained. I don't blame them though. Time constraints are a thing and if something had to go then that's probably the best choice.

14. Creature SH

Creature SH

Doesn't the got-all-emeralds ending explicitly show
    chains attached to the little planet being destroyed
    ?

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Yes.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes I'm just wondering if it's chained to Angel island or not. It's not very clear from said cutscene where it's chained to. It could be above never lake for all we know.

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

The Phantom Ruby put Angel Island back in the ocean, I wouldn't be surprised if it warped Little Planet and Eggman capitalized on it to chain it to Angel Island as the nearest potential location too.

18. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    So as of tonight, PC version on steam no longer works for me... "Missing executable" hum... what? I started straight from Steam and never touched the .exe file at all! Re-installing and redoing the update gave me the following message: "Failed to start game (Steam_AppUpdateError_46)."

What the heck is going on here?! Am I the only one getting those weird messages? I wanna play!

Guess I'll have to only settle for my PS4 version...

19. I love that this game exists, and I don't want to seem ungrateful...

But seriously, FUCK that Oil Ocean 2 boss. I've died and game over'ed to it repeatedly. I have yet to get past the level in a normal playthrough. I admit I'm not as good at these games as I was when I was younger, but seriously. The one time I did manage to beat it, I died immediately afterwards to the oil. Every other time, whether I made it in with a fire shield or not, it has stomped me. And unlike in Stardust Speedway, where you can't lose your rings without trying, in Oil Ocean 2, if you get hit, those rings are gone. I've never managed to catch one. At least let them sink slowly on the oil's surface or something. If nothing else, I wish they'd tweak the difficulty on this boss or I'm literally going to have to cheat my way to the end of the game.

It's frustrating being so infuriated at one little part of the game that it makes you rage quit repeatedly.

20. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Hide under the platforms when the laser comes out. Just keep jumping and you can't die in the oil.