don't click here

The Return of Sonic XG?

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by The Taxman, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Looking forward to playing your long anticipated project and glad to see it so close to completion. I love the menu's art direction.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I bet it's a coincidence since I'm guessing we both were inspired by the JP Sonic 3 box art, but that design looks very heavily inspired by the background art I created for the JP Cover variant of Sonic 3 Complete (On a side note, fun looks like some bastard sold this on Etsy).

[​IMG]

Looks neat though, obviously I'd like that design :specialed: But looking forward to playing this some day!

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    You're super welcome dude! You're working on an awesome project and I was more than happy to revive this thread, help you as much as I could and hopefully inspire others here to do the same. Glad the support helped you. That's an excellent and insightful run-down of XG's development history also and it was really interesting to read. Sounds like the game's back on track and rapidly approaching completion which is amazing news and really good to hear. Really looking forward to your future updates and in particular those zone screenshots. Do keep us updated here! Many of us are really interested in Sonic XG as a project and would love to play it some day. I was there back in the SFGHQ days and at the time it was the best and most promising fangame of all-time.

I still believe it's up there with the best of the best, even with the passage of time. I followed your updates back when you were posting them on your GoFundMe page and your progress, from what I remember, looked truly excellent so I'm very much looking forward to seeing more!

I also do intend to help you financially again. Just waiting on some more money coming in soon to do so. I'll keep you updated!

Also: To any mods or admins reading this, give Nitemare full member status! He's the creator of Sonic XG and more than deserves it.

4. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    This is wonderful news to here that you are doing well, XG was by far my favorite fan game at the time, your Sonic 4 take will be just as interesting to try out and ironically there are some similar enemies to that of Mania, such as the sand Caterkiller boss. Looking forward to seeing some more screens as its looking beautiful!

5. I'm happy to hear the game is almost done. Just be sure tomake backups; so tired of seeing great fan games and hacks disappear from hard drive crashes or stolen computers. :P

6. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Looking forward to Sonic XG as much as Sonic Mania dude. Very much looking forward to your next update. Please do post once you have something to show.

7. CornFlakes

CornFlakes

Yeah, XG does look super amazing so far, and I'm quite happy that we are getting close to a real release very soon. Can't wait to see more content in future updates, great work Joe!

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Shaping up to be potentially the best Sonic fangame of all-time. I have that much confidence. It was a landmark game back in the early SFGHQ days and Joe's more recent work on iterating and improving it looks absolutely stellar. Graphically it's the closest game to the Genesis titles I've ever seen outside of potentially Sonic Mania.

I think it has the potential to be fucking amazing and it's awesome to see the release might be quite close on the horizon. Looking forward to the next update.

9. Axanery

Axanery

I know it's been a loooong time since the last post on this thread, but I actually put XG's last demo into widescreen (424x240, Mania's resolution) and put out a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R040hEg8Fos. There's quite a few glitches, and those can be fixed, but I don't plan on going further with it, I just wanted to see if it was possible (and it is).

10. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    How much hell did you had to go through to make it in Mania resolution? Lol

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Well if it's still Clickteam based I would assume it's still as simple as setting the resolution to 424x240. That's what it was like in the old days, anyway.

12. Axanery

Axanery

Tedious af, so many sprites and objects are reliant on it being 320x240 and I had to adjust every single one of them. Titlecards, perspetive objects, some black border that keeps the character from falling off the screen, fadeins/fadeouts, act clears, powerup labels, backgrounds, and more. Also if you don't know by now, Clickteam SUCKS. Hard. I don't understand how anyone can use this. There's basically no global-ness and almost everything is on a stage-by-stage basis. Which leads to a lot of duplicate and unnecessary things.
    If only it were that simple.

13. While this topic is recently active, anyone know how Nitemare is doing these days? There were health issues mentioned before in this topic... hope he's doing alright.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There's a reason Sonic XG was never finished. But choices were limited at the time - this was one of the best looking fan games ever made when that demo came out.

But it hasn't stood the test of time. Everything needs an overhaul.

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I hate Clickteam as much as the next person, but FYI the newest version 2.5+ has a lot more global features. Makes this stuff TONS easier.